Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 03:30 PM   #16
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Does anyone have a link to a free KF8 book I could try out?
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 03:57 PM   #17
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by gers1978 View Post
Does anyone have a link to a free KF8 book I could try out?
If you want to try Calibre's conversion, I suggest converting a ePub from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library. For example, Kipling, Rudyard: Kim (Illustrated).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 05:09 PM   #18
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
If you want to try Calibre's conversion, I suggest converting a ePub from the Patricia Clark Memorial Library. For example, Kipling, Rudyard: Kim (Illustrated).
Fails to convert...

Quote:
calibre, version 0.8.49
ERROR: Conversion Error: <b>Failed</b>: Convert book 1 of 1 (Kim)
Spoiler:

Convert book 1 of 1 (Kim)
Resolved conversion options
calibre version: 0.8.49
{'asciiize': False,
'author_sort': None,
'authors': None,
'base_font_size': 0.0,
'book_producer': None,
'change_justification': u'original',
'chapter': u"//*[((name()='h1' or name()='h2') and re:test(., 'chapter|book|section|part\\s+', 'i')) or @class = 'chapter']",
'chapter_mark': u'pagebreak',
'comments': None,
'cover': u'/tmp/calibre_0.8.49_tmp_Z9H7lb/s3lqj_.jpeg',
'debug_pipeline': None,
'dehyphenate': True,
'delete_blank_paragraphs': True,
'disable_font_rescaling': False,
'dont_compress': False,
'duplicate_links_in_toc': False,
'enable_heuristics': False,
'extra_css': None,
'extract_to': None,
'filter_css': u'',
'fix_indents': True,
'font_size_mapping': None,
'format_scene_breaks': True,
'html_unwrap_factor': 0.4,
'input_encoding': None,
'input_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.InputProfile object at 0x96693cc>,
'insert_blank_line': False,
'insert_blank_line_size': 0.5,
'insert_metadata': True,
'isbn': None,
'italicize_common_cases': True,
'keep_ligatures': False,
'language': None,
'level1_toc': None,
'level2_toc': None,
'level3_toc': None,
'line_height': 0.0,
'linearize_tables': False,
'margin_bottom': 5.0,
'margin_left': 5.0,
'margin_right': 5.0,
'margin_top': 5.0,
'markup_chapter_headings': True,
'max_toc_links': 50,
'minimum_line_height': 120.0,
'mobi_ignore_margins': False,
'mobi_keep_original_images': False,
'mobi_toc_at_start': False,
'no_chapters_in_toc': False,
'no_inline_navbars': True,
'no_inline_toc': False,
'output_profile': <calibre.customize.profiles.KindleDXOutput object at 0x9669dec>,
'page_breaks_before': u'/',
'personal_doc': u'EDOC',
'prefer_author_sort': False,
'prefer_metadata_cover': False,
'pretty_print': False,
'pubdate': None,
'publisher': None,
'rating': None,
'read_metadata_from_opf': u'/tmp/calibre_0.8.49_tmp_Z9H7lb/fOsvUh.opf',
'remove_fake_margins': True,
'remove_first_image': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing': False,
'remove_paragraph_spacing_indent_size': 1.5,
'renumber_headings': True,
'replace_scene_breaks': u'',
'search_replace': '[]',
'series': None,
'series_index': None,
'share_not_sync': True,
'smarten_punctuation': False,
'sr1_replace': None,
'sr1_search': None,
'sr2_replace': None,
'sr2_search': None,
'sr3_replace': None,
'sr3_search': None,
'tags': None,
'timestamp': None,
'title': None,
'title_sort': None,
'toc_filter': None,
'toc_threshold': 6,
'toc_title': None,
'unsmarten_punctuation': False,
'unwrap_lines': True,
'use_auto_toc': False,
'verbose': 2}
InputFormatPlugin: EPUB Input running
on /tmp/calibre_0.8.49_tmp_Z9H7lb/JhbRxv.epub
Found HTML cover OEBPS/cover.html
Parsing all content...
Parsing OEBPS/kim8.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim10.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim13.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim3.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim14.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim15.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/frontispiece.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/colophon.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/illustrations.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim4.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim5.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/contents.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim6.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/cover.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim2.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/styles.css ...
Parsing OEBPS/titlepage.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim9.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim7.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim1.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim11.html ...
Parsing OEBPS/kim12.html ...
Reading TOC from NCX...
Merging user specified metadata...
Detecting structure...
Detected chapter: Chapter 1
Detected chapter: Chapter 2
Detected chapter: Chapter 3
Detected chapter: Chapter 4
Detected chapter: Chapter 5
Detected chapter: Chapter 6
Detected chapter: Chapter 7
Detected chapter: Chapter 8
Detected chapter: Chapter 9
Detected chapter: Chapter 10
Detected chapter: Chapter 11
Detected chapter: Chapter 12
Detected chapter: Chapter 13
Detected chapter: Chapter 14
Detected chapter: Chapter 15
Inserting metadata into book...
Flattening CSS and remapping font sizes...
Source base font size is 12.00000pt
Removing fake margins...
Parsing stylesheet.css ...
Found 17 items of level: div_1
Found 2 items of level: div_2
Found 1 items of level: p_4
Found 19 items of level: p_2
Found 5 items of level: p_3
Found 2561 items of level: p_1
Ignoring level p_4
Ignoring level p_2
Ignoring level p_3
div_1 left margin stats: Counter({u'': 1})
div_1 right margin stats: Counter({u'': 1})
div_2 left margin stats: Counter({u'': 1})
div_2 right margin stats: Counter({u'': 1})
p_1 left margin stats: Counter({u'0': 2561})
p_1 right margin stats: Counter({u'0': 2561})
Cleaning up manifest...
Trimming unused files from manifest...
Trimming u'OEBPS/cover.html' from manifest
Trimming u'OEBPS/cover.jpg' from manifest
Creating MOBI Output...
Serializing resources...
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 2 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 2 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 2 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 2 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 2 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 2 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 4 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Split into 2 parts
Splitting on page-break
Splitting on page-break
Creating KF8 output
Generating KF8 markup...
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site.py", line 58, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/utils/ipc/worker.py", line 191, in main
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 31, in gui_convert_override
File "site-packages/calibre/gui2/convert/gui_conversion.py", line 25, in gui_convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plumber.py", line 1099, in run
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/mobi_output.py", line 185, in convert
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/conversion/plugins/mobi_output.py", line 197, in create_kf8
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/writer8/main.py", line 404, in create_kf8_book
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/writer8/main.py", line 61, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/writer8/main.py", line 252, in chunk_it_up
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/writer8/skeleton.py", line 171, in __init__
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/writer8/skeleton.py", line 235, in remove_namespaces
File "site-packages/calibre/ebooks/mobi/writer8/skeleton.py", line 54, in node_from_path
File "lxml.etree.pyx", line 961, in lxml.etree._Element.__getitem__ (src/lxml/lxml.etree.c:34342)
IndexError: list index out of range
Edit: Converts successfully with KF8 support turned off.

Last edited by theducks; 04-28-2012 at 05:48 PM. Reason: wrap HUGE paste in spoiler
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:41 PM   #19
TX.Aggie.SE
TX.Aggie.SE began at the beginning.

Device: Fire, iPad2
Two part post:

My interest is in making a college level energy engineering textbook that is a bit more interesting to 18-21 yr olds. We have identified iBook Author for the iPad and wish to use KF8 on Fire (and the promised PC/eInk Kindle devices) to be a 2nd best. Thus the ability to do multiple fonts and treatments, boxes, colors, embedded media are all of interest to me.

I'm happy to see that our honored sponsor has taken up the challenge of slowly expanding Calibre's functionality to include KF8. To that end I am experimenting with the format. Kovid, if you rather I post my observations (are these bugs or features or a slow user) somewhere else, I will post where you direct.

My immediate issue:
I added the code as directed:

test_mobi_output_type = 'both'

And did a conversion (MOBI->MOBI) on a book that started life as a OpenDoc that used a plug in to make a MOBI format. The book existed on the Fire as a KF7 previously. I converted again and noted a MOBI_ORIGINAL and a MOBI output.

1. I d/l the MOBI output to the Fire and didn't really see much difference with the text box with the outline and shading, but the text wrap did look better.

2. I noted that pasting the tweak is only good for that session. Other tweaks seem to persist (and the screen talks about exiting and re-opening Calibre to make the tweaks work) but the tweak above - it doesn't appear to persist. In fact, I don't really understand how that screen works (will read manual).

and a suggestion
Would respectfully suggest that MOBI be MOBI 8 or something else as you are creating a NEW format so it's really confusing when we have a bunch of MOBI that are old and then you get a MOBI ORIGINAL added to the mix.
TX.Aggie.SE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 05:54 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Fails to convert...

Edit: Converts successfully with KF8 support turned off.
I did download Kim and converted it. The conversion (including making KF8) worked without error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TX.Aggie.SE View Post
2. I noted that pasting the tweak is only good for that session. Other tweaks seem to persist (and the screen talks about exiting and re-opening Calibre to make the tweaks work) but the tweak above - it doesn't appear to persist. In fact, I don't really understand how that screen works (will read manual).
After you put in the tweak code, you have to restart Calibre for it to work and yes, it does work beyond one session. If you did not restart Calibre after putting in the code then you did not generate KF8.

Last edited by JSWolf; 04-28-2012 at 05:56 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-28-2012, 05:58 PM   #21
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I did download Kim and converted it. The conversion (including making KF8) worked without error.
After you put in the tweak code, you have to restart Calibre for it to work and yes, it does work beyond one session. If you did not restart Calibre after putting in the code then you did not generate KF8.
Well, under Linux it fails with tweak in place (other books converted successfully) and converts successfully with tweak removed.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #22
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Ok... It looks like every KF8 conversion now fails. It worked this morning with 0.8.48. Upgraded to 0.8.49 now fails. Not a big deal as it's experimental. I'll just delete tweak.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:06 PM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Ok... It looks like every KF8 conversion now fails. It worked this morning with 0.8.48. Upgraded to 0.8.49 now fails. Not a big deal as it's experimental. I'll just delete tweak.
I'm on Windows 7 with 0.8.49 and not a hitch converting. I wonder if it's something with your system?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 06:49 PM   #24
jgaiser
Omnivorous

I just upgraded my Windows 7 partition to 0.8.49. I'll try it later tonight.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:28 PM   #25
jgaiser
Omnivorous

KF8 conversion works in Windows 7. Does not work under Linux. Calibre 0.8.49. Windows is a pretty vanilla installation, but I don't know what would be different with the Linux installation. I'm going to play around a bit before I submit a bug report. It most certainly worked correctly with 0.8.48.
Old 04-28-2012, 09:44 PM   #26
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Shows as a really beautiful book on the Fire, but on the Kindle Touch, I get pages and pages of nothing but black.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #27
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
@TX: You wont get any improvement if you convert an existing MOBI. You need to convert the source files.

@jgaiser: 0.8.48 did not support conversion to KF8. And KF8 output (like the rest of calibre) was developed on linux.

@Strether: Have you updated the firmware on your Touch to the latest from Amazon (5.1 IIRC)?
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 04:00 AM   #28
gers1978
Addict
gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gers1978 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Ok, I enabled the tweak, restarted, converted that book, saved the mobi as "new.mobi".

I then turned off the tweak, restarted, converted the same ePub, saved the mobi as "old.mobi".

I opened both in Kindle Previewer 2.4 and set the Device mode to Kindle Fire. Both look identical, but "old.mobi" is 1.3MB and "new.mobi" is 1.7MB.
gers1978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #29
jgaiser
Omnivorous

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
@jgaiser: 0.8.48 did not support conversion to KF8. And KF8 output (like the rest of calibre) was developed on linux.
Fair enough... But, the above mention ebook - Kim - still fails to convert on *my* linux box and does convert under Windows 7 with 0.8.49. Very strange.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:17 AM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Fair enough... But, the above mention ebook - Kim - still fails to convert on *my* linux box and does convert under Windows 7 with 0.8.49. Very strange.
Works on my linux machine, indeed KF8 support (like the rest of calibre) was developed on linux so iif you said it worked on linux and not on windows, that would make more sense
Attached Files
File Type: mobi Kim - Illustrated, Free edition.mobi (2.01 MB, 115 views)

Last edited by kovidgoyal; 04-29-2012 at 09:34 AM.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote