Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 08-03-2011, 11:09 PM   #31
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkRose View Post
still sitting at 47% after 40 minutes
It will be at 47% until it finishes then it may jump to 67% for a minute while it writes the book then 100%.

Now that it is further along has the job details moved on as well?
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 09:59 AM   #32
Escovan
Escovan began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook Pro 902
I knew it, this is why I registered here today, I try to use Calibre, I have hundreds of CHM and thousands of PDF books, and in the past Calibre would convert those in a jiffy. Well not anymore. I don't know what happened to the code, but some extra attention in the next build for speed optimization would be nice.
I'm lucky to have a E-book reader that can display PDF as well, because converting my whole library to Epub would probably take Calibre on a Core i7 920 with 12GB DDR3, longer than I'm around.
No seriously, I sponsored development a bit in the beginning, but the latest builds are just so very very slow. It goes for importing books to my library as well.
So please dear calibre developers, have a look at what changed between a year ago and now, and conclude what makes it so slow nowadays.
Escovan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 10:53 AM   #33
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Calibre comes out with a release every week - trying to find out what makes your collection of books take forever now vs. year ago is non-trivial. People who do some investigation and highlight specific behavioral differences between now and past releases tend to get help, but general comments that things are slow without any actionable examples rarely initiates any changes.

Both pdf and chm can vary radically from document to document as well, so it's quite possible that you're now attempting conversions of documents that have always been slow - had you tried those same particular docs a year ago you may have seen slowness then.

Back-releases of Calibre are available on the download site:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/calibre/files/

You can download the release from a year ago if you want to investigate further and see what portion of the conversion is taking longer. If you can document a difference then it will generally be addressed.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:44 PM   #34
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Originally Posted by Escovan View Post
the latest builds are just so very very slow.
If it's of interest, I have not noticed any decrease in conversion speed with newer builds of Calibre. I have a very specific PDF->EPUB conversion that I do for my wife. It's done once a week or so. The input PDF only changes slightly, and I'm familiar with how long it takes. I've been doing this conversion for 6 months, through multiple versions of Calibre. I'm not saying you are wrong, as conversion times are strongly dependent on the specific PDF document, but it's worthwhile testing older versions of Calibre against your PDF to see if there is really any change.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2011, 03:52 PM   #35
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Realize that formats like PDF have a lot of logic to make the conversation better in newer releases. Converting a PDF in an old release (0.4) for instance will be faster but there is a good chance the output won't be very readable.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 03:05 AM   #36
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
There is one setting i.e.

Preferences/Heuristics/Ensure scene breaks are consistently formatted

Which when selected (on my setup) extended the conversion period on some files from <1min to multiple hours. Deselecting this setting for me has all but removed all of the excessive conversion times. At last I no longer have to listen to the fan (on a brand new PC, not silted up with fluff oldie) whirring like mad whilst I try to get some shut-eye.

I have not seen any difference in the output so have my fix and very happy.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #37
lenkost
lenkost began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3, Sony PRS-505
The original request to add timeout option with the default set to "none" somehow got lost in this discussion.

I would like to second it.

I have many books to convert to mobi format and some of them take many hours to process.
Regardless of the reason I would like to complete the conversion for the easy ones and deal with problems later.
I leave the jobs to run over night only to discover that nothing was done.
With the timeout option I would have most of them done and could start troubleshooting the failed ones later.
lenkost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 01:46 AM   #38
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lenkost View Post
The original request to add timeout option with the default set to "none" somehow got lost in this discussion.

I would like to second it.
All requests via the forum are likely to end up lost amongst all the other messages. If you really want such a capability you should raise a ticket for it as an enhancement request which is more likely to see it actioned.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 06:36 AM   #39
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
And there it is in the latest version 0.8.17. Wow! Very pleased.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote