Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Do you prefer Frontlit or Non-Frontlit E-Readers?
I prefer Frontlit E-Readers 102 87.18%
I prefer E-Readers without a Frontlight 15 12.82%
Voters: 117. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-14-2019, 10:33 AM   #16
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I don't care if my ereader has a light or not. I rarely use it if it has one. I don't find it easy to read with the light on and I much prefer my Sony ereaders. The 700 has a built in light and it's horrible. I don't like the cases with a light either. There's almost always sufficient light for wherever I want to read.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:14 PM   #17
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hemmi View Post
I don't care if my ereader has a light or not. I rarely use it if it has one. I don't find it easy to read with the light on and I much prefer my Sony ereaders. The 700 has a built in light and it's horrible. I don't like the cases with a light either. There's almost always sufficient light for wherever I want to read.
The Sony 700 was, AFAIR, the first ereader with a builtin frontlight. From the one sample I saw, it was a great example of how not to implement a frontlight. I've attached an old image from Gizmodo as an example of just how bad it was.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sony-prs-700.jpg
Views:	279
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	172391  
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2019, 06:59 PM   #18
binaryhermit
Grand Sorcerer
binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.binaryhermit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW4, Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
early attempts at new technology tend to have massive issues, though.

Modern frontlights are massively better
binaryhermit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 07:30 PM   #19
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
Oh yes, I have a 700 and a Paperwhite and a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I don't like to read with the light on on any of them. Just is not easy on my eyes.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:44 PM   #20
kyrilson
Fanatic
kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyrilson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, Oasis, Kobo Glo HD,iPad Pro, Sony 350 and T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I didn't like eReaders with a built-in front light because I had trouble with the fonts not "standing out" enough (not enough contrast). They somehow looked like they were "floating" and I kept losing focus. I finally figured out the solution, get darker fonts. I use Deja Vu E-Ink Serif on my front-lit Kindle Paperwhite and Tolinos. But if I had to use the built-in fonts with the Paperwhite I don't think I would like it much. You can "bold" the built-in fonts, but they lose their shape (kind of like reading something produced on a typewriter where the keys haven't been cleaned out in a while — for those old enough to remember typewriters). Now that I've got a good, clear, dark font, I almost always use the Tolino Shine or Vision or the Kindle Paperwhite. It's probably an issue with my eyes, but the built-in fonts with front-lit readers just don't work for me. Too light.
I also exclusively use the Deja Vu E-Ink Serif font (actually, I think I got it from you) on all of my e-readers. The font just works the best for me!

When using original fonts on e-readers, I have noticed that the contrast tends to be better to my eyes on the non-frontlit e-readers. So I used to prefer non-frontlit, but now I pretty much always use frontlit readers (mainly the Kobo Glo HD and Kobo Clara HD) with the Deja Vu font.
kyrilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2019, 10:56 AM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
My first ereader was a Nook Simple Touch w/Glowlight. It was the lighted screen that pushed me into finally trying an ereader. I wouldn't want a reader without a light.

I tend to leave the light on somewhere between 15-25% (depending on the device) and just never mess with it. It's nice never having to worry about lighting conditions when I want to read. When battery life is measured in weeks, I'm not terribly fussed about what impact lighting a few LEDs might cause.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 11:07 AM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
...I use Deja Vu E-Ink Serif on my front-lit Kindle Paperwhite and Tolinos.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrilson View Post
I also exclusively use the Deja Vu E-Ink Serif font (actually, I think I got it from you) on all of my e-readers.
Where do you find it? I could only find Deja Vu Serif, but nothing that mentioned e-ink specifically.

I mess with new fonts from time to time, but always seem to fall back to Google's Literata Book or their Noto Serif.
Old 07-15-2019, 12:13 PM   #23
ElspethB
Passionate Reader
ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ElspethB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S3, Kobo Clara HD, Fire HD 8, Voyage, Oasis 3, PW5
Here you go, Zodwallop:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224311

All due props to Katsunami, who added weight to DejaVu Serif to make it an excellent font for e-ink. Now that we can add fonts easily again, it has become my favorite. Very readable.
ElspethB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:23 PM   #24
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Here you go, Zodwallop:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=224311

All due props to Katsunami, who added weight to DejaVu Serif to make it an excellent font for e-ink. Now that we can add fonts easily again, it has become my favorite. Very readable.
DejaVu Serif Eink is my second favorite font. My absolute favorite is still CharisSIL Modified Larger. I've tried many fonts, but nothing beats these two.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 12:49 PM   #25
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElspethB View Post
Thanks buddy. I'll give it a whirl at lunch.
Old 07-15-2019, 03:59 PM   #26
nellie27
Connoisseur
nellie27 doesn't litternellie27 doesn't litter

Device: Galaxy Tab A, Boox Nova Air C
My first ereader was a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight. I specifically wanted a frontlight. The lighting was, and is, disappointing. Kind of greenish, kind of blotchy. I hardly use the light at all when I use this ereader.

My second and current ereader is the Nook Glowlight 3. Again, I specifically wanted a frontlight, this time with adjustable coloration. It is wonderful! I use the light very frequently, even during the day (when I do all of my reading). Depending on conditions, I'll turn it 1/4 to>1/3 of brightness. "Night Mode" manual setting is generally ~1/2way between cool and warm. It's lovely, similar to incandescent light bulb coloring. And at this brightness level, the screen is evenly illuminated, has excellent contrast, and is easy to read.
nellie27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 05:06 PM   #27
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Afaik the best ereaders tend to have frontlights, so naturally I prefer ereaders with frontlights even if I consider the frontlight itself mostly irrelevant.

That being said, the frontlight on my H2O can go fairly low, so the <5 settings (NB it goes to 100) are actually useful. Some frontlights, mainly older ones I think, won't go low enough. Those are useless but harmless.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamba66 View Post
Hello,
Cons Frontlit
  1. Worse Battery Life (obvious one)
  2. Worse contrast when completely turned off (speculation!)? due to additional layer (also sometimes claimed with capacitive touch layer)
  3. QC Problems such as white spots or uneven lightning
Battery life must logically be worse when you enable the light, but unlike having wifi enabled (which cuts the battery life from weeks to days) the difference is fairly minimal.

Worse contrast? That doesn't really make any sense.

QC problems — not that I've seen on Kobo and Tolino.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 06:10 PM   #28
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post
QC problems — not that I've seen on Kobo and Tolino.
I love my Kobo, but the company has had QC issues with the Aura One, Clara HD and Forma.

There have also been complaints about the Kindle Voyage and various Paperwhites.
Old 07-16-2019, 03:59 AM   #29
Frenzie
Wizard
Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frenzie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
True, I've definitely heard that about the Forma, but one I saw in a store seemed fine to me. It may have been ever so slightly darker or lighter around one of the edges when playing around with the yellow mode but there wasn't any banding or spottiness.

If I'm not mistaken you mentioned all of the "natural light" models except for the H2Ov2?

Anyway, as someone who doesn't really care if there's a frontlight or not, if there were two equal devices one of which didn't have a light so it was a few grams lighter and a few Euros cheaper, I might pick that one. But it hardly seems like something you'd specifically look for.
Frenzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2019, 07:46 AM   #30
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frenzie View Post

Worse contrast? That doesn't really make any sense.
With the light completely off, the background screen color on my Kobo Clara is a little darker than that of my old Sony PRS-T3. However, the text on the Clara is clearer so it's still readable.

I have the lighted case for the PRS-T3 so either reader is OK if there is not sufficient light in the area where I am reading. Also, the light on both readers turns off when the reader goes to sleep which is useful if I want to read while falling asleep myself 🙂
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote