Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-11-2017, 10:45 AM   #1
Mavrique
Mavrique began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Oasis 2017 question - Can you sideload Audible books?

Hi All,

Just a quick question. I know it is not possible to sideload MP3 formatted books onto the KAO2; but has anyone tried or does anyone know if it is possible to sideload an audible (formatted) book and have it work?

I'm hoping the answer/s will help make the decision on whether to go for an 8GB or 32GB model.

Thanks in advance.

M.

Last edited by Mavrique; 12-11-2017 at 05:43 PM. Reason: Clarity
Mavrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2017, 09:57 PM   #2
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Yes, it will work, but only for .aax (Enhanced), not .aa (Format 4, which is about half the size). Only .aax format is supported by Kindle, it seems. (I have Kindle 8th gen, which just got Audible support and so it should also be same with Oasis).

This is baffling to me, since I suspect most people would prefer to conserve space in exchange for the negligible difference in audio quality. Moreover, .aax will not download in ‘parts’, whereas .aa will. But I think this was also the case with Kindle Touch, which was the previous Kindle supporting Audible (but you seem to have one, so you can verify it yourself).

The steps are (assuming your Audible and Amazon accounts are linked):
- go to Library page on Audible.com
- select ‘Enhanced’ Audio Quality
- click Download link
- connect Kindle and drag .aax file to /audible folder
- eject from computer

One cavaet: the one side-loaded .aax I tried had noticeable distortion when played at 1.25x or higher speed (maybe even at 1x speed - I would need to repeat the experiment to verify). When I deleted it and downloaded wirelessly this distortion went away. I don’t know if this is an issue with the download in question or would if it would affect all downloaded books. Certainly if it is the latter, it should be brought to Audible’s attention that the issue exists, it should not be so. I don’t have any requirement to side-load .aax myself, as it is far more convenient to download wirelessly (and you can start listening right away).

I may experience with a different book later on.

Is there some reason you prefer side-loading instead of WiFi? Or using a Kindle instead of a smartphone?

First impressions: it works better than I had expected. I don’t know that I’ll be using it much, however.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-11-2017 at 10:19 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 04:36 PM   #3
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
This is baffling to me, since I suspect most people would prefer to conserve space in exchange for the negligible difference in audio quality. Moreover, .aax will not download in ‘parts’, whereas .aa will.
I am assuming the one file vs multiple files (if that is what happens with 'parts' in .aa) is the reason that only .aax is supported. Since the Kindles are relatively slow it probably makes sense to have the file format that requires less cpu power to decode.

A partial download of an audiobook can be listened to right away after some of it is downloaded - IIRC it says something "ready to listen" after a while. So it is not necessary to wait for the download to finish. Downloading The Stand with 670 mb took quite a while when I was testing Audible out.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 12:08 PM   #4
vrf
Addict
vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vrf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2, Voyage, Paperwhite 2, Kindle Touch, Kindle Keyboard, iPad Pro
So how might one convert a bunch of MP3 episodes of Radio Lab to an AAX file to listen to on KO2? Is that sort of conversion even possible?
vrf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2017, 06:07 PM   #5
Mavrique
Mavrique began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch 3G
Quote:
Is there some reason you prefer side-loading instead of WiFi? Or using a Kindle instead of a smartphone?

First impressions: it works better than I had expected. I don’t know that I’ll be using it much, however.
It's a long story which I won't go into now but I have a number of books from different sources all converted to MP3 so that I could listen to them on my phone and/or tablet. However I thought it might be nice to have all my books and audiobooks together on one device.

Having now bought the Oasis (at a brilliant knock-down price I might add ) I tried side-loading one of my other audiobooks (converted to aax) on to the device. Unfortunately although it recognises it it won't play it.
It basically says it can't play it as its not recognised as one of the books in my audible account.

Its a bit of a shame really because (like many of the community) I wanted to do the same as I do with my ebooks. i.e. use Calibre or some other library management tool to backup and manage my collection offline and then load the books I want to read (or listen to) when I'm ready.

Gutted! Unless anyone has any ideas about how to solve this little conundrum?
Mavrique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:19 AM   #6
tejasvi88
tejasvi88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic 8th Gen

Last edited by tejasvi88; 04-08-2018 at 08:21 AM. Reason: .....
tejasvi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 08:22 AM   #7
tejasvi88
tejasvi88 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle basic 8th Gen
Quote:
Yes, it will work, but only for .aax (Enhanced), not .aa (Format 4, which is about half the size). Only .aax format is supported by Kindle, it seems. (I have Kindle 8th gen, which just got Audible support and so it should also be same with Oasis).

This is baffling to me, since I suspect most people would prefer to conserve space in exchange for the negligible difference in audio quality. Moreover, .aax will not download in ‘parts’, whereas .aa will. But I think this was also the case with Kindle Touch, which was the previous Kindle supporting Audible (but you seem to have one, so you can verify it yourself).

The steps are (assuming your Audible and Amazon accounts are linked):
- go to Library page on Audible.com
- select ‘Enhanced’ Audio Quality
- click Download link
- connect Kindle and drag .aax file to /audible folder
- eject from computer

One cavaet: the one side-loaded .aax I tried had noticeable distortion when played at 1.25x or higher speed (maybe even at 1x speed - I would need to repeat the experiment to verify). When I deleted it and downloaded wirelessly this distortion went away. I don’t know if this is an issue with the download in question or would if it would affect all downloaded books. Certainly if it is the latter, it should be brought to Audible’s attention that the issue exists, it should not be so. I don’t have any requirement to side-load .aax myself, as it is far more convenient to download wirelessly (and you can start listening right away).

I may experience with a different book later on.

Is it for any .aax files or only audible?
tejasvi88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 02:59 AM   #8
DuckieTigger
Wizard
DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuckieTigger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Oasis 2, PW3, PW1, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by tejasvi88 View Post
Is it for any .aax files or only audible?
Only for .aax files you can convince the Kindle to recognize as being in your Audible library as this post suggests:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavrique View Post
I tried side-loading one of my other audiobooks (converted to aax) on to the device. Unfortunately although it recognises it it won't play it.
It basically says it can't play it as its not recognised as one of the books in my audible account.
Hard to tell how much you need to modify a non audible .aax to play. In case of ebooks it is enough to have the correct ASIN number, I believe. No idea about audiobooks.
DuckieTigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 02:49 AM   #9
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kindle Scribe, iPad Pro 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckieTigger View Post
Only for .aax files you can convince the Kindle to recognize as being in your Audible library as this post suggests:

Hard to tell how much you need to modify a non audible .aax to play. In case of ebooks it is enough to have the correct ASIN number, I believe. No idea about audiobooks.
I just tried with an aax from a different aax account than the one that is associated with my Kindle and it did not play. Gave me a message that the file is not in the cloud and therefore cannot be played.
Has anyone found a way to overcome this?
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 03:42 AM   #10
mergen3107
Wizard
mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mergen3107 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Scribe
They are most probably DRM’d or something like that.
mergen3107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 04:52 AM   #11
johnnyb
Cloud Reader
johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.johnnyb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yeah most likely some DRM type resteiction.
I really think that Amazon has an account problem. I discovered that I actually have three sets of Audible books (one on the US account, one on the German side of my US account, and one on the German account I opened with Amazon‘s blessing to be able to use German Prime Video on a Fire TV while still retaining the possibility to purchase books from the US on my main account). I never noticed until now because I always downloaded my books into iTunes right away.
There seems to be no way to consolidate these (so I stopped my subscription).
Old 07-18-2019, 09:58 AM   #12
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
A lot of us sideload stuff not bought from Audible. So, far, I've only been able to sideload on the Kindle Keyboard, which accepts Mp3. I usually have only the next 2 or 3 books in a series. As to the Smartphone, there are really people like me who either don't own a smartphone or have a company smartphone were personal files aren't allowed (think government owned).
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 11:58 AM   #13
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You can purchase dedicated MP3 players for under $20. Much better than a Kindle Keyboard for this purpose.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 01:54 PM   #14
johnnyb
Cloud Reader

Quote:
You can purchase dedicated MP3 players for under $20. Much better than a Kindle Keyboard for this purpose.
I think this is well understood. However, at least in my case, I already have the 32GB player, I just cannot use my audiobooks with it
Old 07-18-2019, 07:56 PM   #15
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Quote:
True - I normally use the text-to-speech rather than audiobooks on the Kindle Keyboard but it's a nice option if you can only take one item. Remember, not everybody has a smartphone. I know, hard to believe. We're even thinking of dropping the flipphone because I barely use it.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote