Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 01-04-2023, 04:38 PM   #1
ReadingInTheDark
ReadingInTheDark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021) 8gb
"Convert books"-functions result in freeze (6.09/6.10 64b Win10)

Hey there

Three weeks ago I converted a few books from PDF to MOBI on Calibri 6.09 64b Win10 without any issues. The holiday season went by and my PC might have updated it self in the meantime.

Today I tried to convert both a random PDF and a EPUB ("Quick start guide") with the same issue.

Steps:
  1. Select a document to be converted (in my case PDF or EPUB)
  2. Press "Convert books" -> "Convert individually"
  3. EXPECTED RESULT: Conversion window would open.
    ACTUAL RESULT: Calibri freezes and now conversion window is showned. If pressed anywhere "Blonk"-sound is made. Only way to go back is to press ESC. I gave it up to 40 min. wait without any progress. Not possible to achieve status report since nothing seemed to be running. Taskbar only showned main calibri window. There is no way I am able to open the conversion tool

I then updated to Calibri 6.10 64b win10 with same result.

I have thereafter tried the following with same result
  • Running Calibri in safe mode (resulted in calibri starting up with blank screen and no way to proceed)
  • Checking that no other windows where open
  • Updated all drivers and windows updates
  • Run clean disk to remove old windows update files
  • Run calibri with -- ignore plugins
  • Checked that no external screen was in use.
  • Disabled several non-essential background apps

Lastly I installed Calibri as a portable device on a USB key. I tried same procedure with a library only containing "Quick start guide" and the conversion tool started in 1 sec.

Does any one see a clear fix?

Please let me know if you need more information.

Thanks in advance!
ReadingInTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2023, 08:48 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The conversion window has opened offscreen, press the windows shortcut to show offscreen windows.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2023, 11:56 AM   #3
ReadingInTheDark
ReadingInTheDark began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 5 (2021) 8gb
Thank you for your quick respond.

Unfortunately it did not show any offscreen windows.

I have also tried all the following methods:
https://www.wikihow.com/Bring-an-Off...ack-on-Windows

EDIT:
For some reason when I connected my pc to a second screen then the conversion windows showed up. It now working fine!

Last edited by ReadingInTheDark; 01-05-2023 at 12:00 PM.
ReadingInTheDark is offline   Reply With Quote