Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-25-2020, 01:15 PM   #76
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
Quote:
I found it was pretty easy to get a huge KU wishlist set up before getting the deal. But I stopped after the free time because I found I didn't like feeling like I was reading with a timer.
There is no timer with KU books. You can borrow 10 at a time, and keep them as long as you need.

Our public library has a 7-21 day checkout for digital books. I rarely need the 21 days to finish a book. I can read 2-5 (fiction) books per week depending on what's going on in my life.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 01:38 PM   #77
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
There is no timer with KU books. You can borrow 10 at a time, and keep them as long as you need.
The timer is the monthly charge and the pressure to make it worthwhile. “As long as you need” could turn out to be quite pricey. Works for some, but for others it’s like a gym membership where you’re not going, but always have good intentions so you don’t quit.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 01:50 PM   #78
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
I do a similar search. I love new (to me) authors, and I find a lot of new authors that I want to read, as well as established authors older stuff (who I sometimes haven't even heard of!)

I've found so many authors that I could have 100 or more books downloaded from KU if Amazon would let me. So any more, I have a wish list for KU, when I find a book that interests me, I make note of it in my wish list. It has become my TBR list.

I totally agree. In fact, I approach it with the same strategy and enjoyment as you outline in your post.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:04 PM   #79
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
I've been a KU subscriber for more of the time than not, but always when I could get a Prime Day or other good deal on the subscription. (This is what has caused the occasional brief pause in my membership - waiting for a good deal.) What I like about KU is that if I find a new indie or Amazon-published author I like, I can binge read a whole series for free - well, technically not free, but already paid for. I also like the chance to try some new authors/series risk-free.

And it's not completely true that well-established or traditionally-published authors are never on KU. Sometimes they are doing new series that they are self-pubbing, or they are writing in a new genre with a different publisher, or sometimes they will get the rights back to early titles that have been out of print, and decide to self-pub those. And often those will be on KU.

I guess the biggest exception, off the top of my mind, is JK Rowling, whose Harry Potter series, once it was finally available in e-book, is on KU. But mostly it's true that famous authors or books aren't on KU.

With that said, at full price, I would never do KU, but at the discount prices that come from time-to-time, it's worth it to me.

For the OP, since rumors are abounding that Prime Day will be in mid-October, maybe it's worth a free trial until then to see if you like it, and then get a discounted subscription for Prime Day if you do...

And as others above have said, without KU, eReaderIQ and patience are your friends! And yes, I pay a small amount to eReaderIQ through Patreon each month, since I value the website so much, so that's kind of like a subscription for me too .

Last edited by sufue; 09-25-2020 at 03:11 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:11 PM   #80
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
I love KU. I've found new authors I enjoy, and genres I've not read before. A lot of "Religious fiction" authors are in KU, and KU is a great way to weed out the decent authors from the ones who believe that anyone who can type can write a book.
Anyone who can type CAN write a book! Just not necessarily a good book! BTW I love KU
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2020, 03:17 PM   #81
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sufue View Post
What I like about KU is that if I find a new indie or Amazon-published author I like, I can binge read a whole series for free
I hadn’t thought of it, but that’s another reason KU isn’t for me; I don’t like to binge read. When I find a series, I stretch ‘em out - and the more I like it, the longer I stretch them. Even when it’s a series that’s current, I’m generally a book or two behind. A side benefit to that is that I’m not champing at the bit when a new book comes out. I totally get paying full price when it’s a book you have to read right now, but I never find myself in that position as I tend to have one in reserve.

I have a friend who refuses to read the last book in a series she’s enjoyed. She likes knowing she’s still got one left.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 03:29 PM   #82
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlenBarrington View Post
Anyone who can type CAN write a book! Just not necessarily a good book! BTW I love KU

I would go beyond that and state that words and sentences don't even matter. Pressing any sequence of keys - for a long enough period of time - will eventually result in a book.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

Anyone who can't type can also write a book.
Old 09-25-2020, 04:31 PM   #83
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Libra Colour, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I would go beyond that and state that words and sentences don't even matter. Pressing any sequence of keys - for a long enough period of time - will eventually result in a book.

BUT WAIT! THERE'S MORE!

Anyone who can't type can also write a book.
The million monkeys theory of authoring?
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 05:35 PM   #84
sufue
lost in my e-reader...
sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sufue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android phone, Sony T1, Nook ST Glowlight, Galaxy Tab 7 Plus
You and your friend both have way more patience than I do !!!

I am totally bummed when I finish a series I like, but would never have the self-control to read slowly or leave any reasonably-priced/KU or library-available title unread. (Sadly, most of my most favorite authors aren't popular enough to be available from either of the two libraries I belong to.) Instead, I binge read really fast, mostly to find out what happens. Then if the series is really good - usually if the writing is really good, not just the plots - I'll reread slowly, to enjoy it more.

With that said, since I have a huge TBR pile, I only have probably four or five authors that I ever even think about buying at full price, and even for those, I mostly don't. I do have that much self-restraint, although very occasionally it slips - usually if I get some sort of credit or gift card and can rationalize the purchase. But if the titles are reasonably priced or at the library, they're getting read!

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I hadn’t thought of it, but that’s another reason KU isn’t for me; I don’t like to binge read. When I find a series, I stretch ‘em out - and the more I like it, the longer I stretch them. Even when it’s a series that’s current, I’m generally a book or two behind. A side benefit to that is that I’m not champing at the bit when a new book comes out. I totally get paying full price when it’s a book you have to read right now, but I never find myself in that position as I tend to have one in reserve.

I have a friend who refuses to read the last book in a series she’s enjoyed. She likes knowing she’s still got one left.

Last edited by sufue; 09-25-2020 at 05:38 PM.
sufue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2020, 06:10 PM   #85
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That and indie authors.
Old 09-25-2020, 06:49 PM   #86
darryl
Wizard
darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.darryl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Oasis, Huwei Ascend Mate 7
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
That and indie authors.
And tradpub authors?

Last edited by darryl; 09-25-2020 at 06:56 PM.
darryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2020, 11:30 AM   #87
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
That was tested. Oddly all the chimps (rather than monkeys) favoured a similar selection of a few keys so an infinite number of monkeys may not work to recreate any Shakespeare.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:29 PM   #88
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
I love KU, been subscribing for years. When friends ask me if it's worth it for them, I know many of them only read one book every month, or every month, so I tell them at full price it's only worth it if you read several books a month or are interested in the titles. I have discovered a lot of new authors and series from there and use it often. It's saved me money instead of purchasing these books.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2020, 02:38 PM   #89
GlenBarrington
Cheese Whiz
GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GlenBarrington ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Tab A 10.1(2019), Pixel 6a.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paperbackstash View Post
I love KU, been subscribing for years. When friends ask me if it's worth it for them, I know many of them only read one book every month, or every month, so I tell them at full price it's only worth it if you read several books a month or are interested in the titles. I have discovered a lot of new authors and series from there and use it often. It's saved me money instead of purchasing these books.
It's not about just the number of books you read, but it is also the number of books you start but never finish because while they SOUND interesting, they suck in some way. Not having to buy books like that saves a lot of money.
GlenBarrington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 06:34 PM   #90
DuskyRose
Guru
DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DuskyRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Air3 & Palma, Scribe & Paperwhite, Eclipsa 2e, & Libra 2, Ipads
Quote:
Yes, except that I would still need to feel like I read enough to pay for it at full price.

Since I jump around a lot, I didn't feel like keeping to the KU list each month, and read enough to make it come up even.

Last edited by DuskyRose; 09-28-2020 at 06:36 PM.
DuskyRose is offline   Reply With Quote