Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-20-2017, 06:12 PM   #1
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
Author Initials and Goodreads Metadata

My library is set to show no spaces between author initials. Goodreads metadata has spaces. Anyone know how I can continue to use Goodreads as a source,but not have their authors download?

I currently use the quality check to clear out those spaces, but sometimes I forget, and those spaces case author sorts and matching up authors for duplicate checks to get messed up.

I don't know if this is something that cannot be fixed through an enhancement, or if it something i can work around.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:54 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rellwood View Post
My library is set to show no spaces between author initials. Goodreads metadata has spaces. Anyone know how I can continue to use Goodreads as a source,but not have their authors download?

I currently use the quality check to clear out those spaces, but sometimes I forget, and those spaces case author sorts and matching up authors for duplicate checks to get messed up.

I don't know if this is something that cannot be fixed through an enhancement, or if it something i can work around.
Every metadata plugin has a configuration
the fields at the top level of the MDE is Global. Use the 'Configure Selected

Source button at the bottom of the Configure Metadata screen
You can also configure (click the button after selecting the PI) each on the Preferenceslugins:<plugin>
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-21-2017, 07:45 AM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
As theducks points out you can turn off using author info from Goodreads. I have author and title disabled for all of the metadata sources I use and only have tags turned on in the Goodreads metadata plugin and not in any other metadata plugins.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorOhh View Post
As theducks points out you can turn off using author info from Goodreads. I have author and title disabled for all of the metadata sources I use and only have tags turned on in the Goodreads metadata plugin and not in any other metadata plugins.
Downloading the title and author can be deselected globally, but they can't be deselected for the individual source plugins.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2017, 06:32 AM   #5
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Quote:
Downloading the title and author can be deselected globally, but they can't be deselected for the individual source plugins.
That explains why I have them disabled for all sources. Never gave it a second thought I just wanted to tell him there is no reason for any metadata source needs to mess with author or title.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-22-2017 at 06:38 AM.
Advert
Old 09-22-2017, 09:39 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Makes sense, but some sites embed additional (non-title) in the field.

If I only have an Identifier, I need some site to provide a Title and/or Author

If I do have Title & Author, I prefer to keep my rendition

Maybe an option in the Metadata source PI, to only use this field as a fallback for (blank/unknown)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 07:15 AM   #7
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Edited.

I read that entirely backwards sorry. The only setting I can find anywhere for author initials is in the QC plugin anyway.

The real question (and probably for the plugin thread) is why the GR plugin puts the spaces - the GR website does not have spaces in initials, and that was why I assumed I had a setting adding the space in there.

Last edited by Krazykiwi; 09-23-2017 at 07:58 AM.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #8
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krazykiwi View Post
Edited.

I read that entirely backwards sorry. The only setting I can find anywhere for author initials is in the QC plugin anyway.

The real question (and probably for the plugin thread) is why the GR plugin puts the spaces - the GR website does not have spaces in initials, and that was why I assumed I had a setting adding the space in there.
Sorry, the Goodreads metadata plugin does not add any spaces into the author. It simply finds the text after "by" and splits that into authors if there are multiples. I can see that the same thing is happening for Amazon, so it must be the code in calibre that handles the results that is doing it.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:05 PM   #9
Krazykiwi
Zealot
Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Krazykiwi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many random androids to list
Heh, thanks David. I was (slowly) digging around in the plugin with my very weak python-fu to see if I could see where it was doing it, I should have just asked you first.

Rellwood: The GR data is still the most normalised around, and there's a Quality Check setting to reformat to your preferred version. I'd be tempted to just use the GR authors, and run "QC -> Fix -> Reformat author initials" over them after as part of the workflow. But that's just me.
Krazykiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
My library is set to show no spaces between author initials.
Can someone inform me where to find this setting, I couldn't find it in Preferences? That doesn't mean it's not there of course

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 08:26 PM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Can someone inform me where to find this setting, I couldn't find it in Preferences? That doesn't mean it's not there of course

BR
There is no setting, this is just how he prefers his data.
Old 09-23-2017, 09:31 PM   #12
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Rellwood: The GR data is still the most normalised around, and there's a Quality Check setting to reformat to your preferred version. I'd be tempted to just use the GR authors, and run "QC -> Fix -> Reformat author initials" over them after as part of the workflow. But that's just me.
Thanks for pointing out this feature. I never really cared, but this made it easy to find and then fix all Author initials in my library.
Old 09-24-2017, 01:12 AM   #13
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Heh, thanks David. I was (slowly) digging around in the plugin with my very weak python-fu to see if I could see where it was doing it, I should have just asked you first.

Thank you very much, I didn't know this option and can be useful for me.
Terisa de morgan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 02:50 AM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
There is no setting, this is just how he prefers his data.
Quote:
... there's a Quality Check setting to reformat to your preferred version. I'd be tempted to just use the GR authors, and run "QC -> Fix -> Reformat author initials"
Thanks - I had a vague memory I'd seen something. I would have used the QC->Fix when I set up my initial library. I do it manually these days as part of my add new books process.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2017, 06:50 PM   #15
Rellwood
Library Breeder (She/Her)
Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rellwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (1) PW3 (4) PW3 2019 new edition (1)
@all
I forgot to follow this discussion. I have the habit of asking questions, then figuring out an answer and leaving it alone. I basically concluded that I would remove that author from metadata searches all together unless I need that author in the first place. Since the library I send my books to the devices from already have their names and authors (or at least correct authors) I decided that it would be safe to remove the authors from the downloads. I pretty much just update the metadata for the comments, tags and ids so it isn't necessary to change the author.

I only wish GR would follow suit and remove the spaces in their author names because import list and gr sync have problems with matching books when their initials have no spaces.
Rellwood is offline   Reply With Quote