Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Announcing the 2017 Hugo Award Winners

http://www.tor.com/2017/08/11/2017-hugo-award-winners

Quote:
The winners of the 2017 Hugo Awards have been announced! You can read the full list below. [Note: This article is being updated as winners are announced.]

The 2017 Hugo Awards were presented on the evening of Friday, August 11, 2017 at a ceremony at the 75th World Science Fiction Convention in Helsinki, Finland. With 108 finalists, this was the most extensive Hugo ballot on record. 3319 valid ballots, the second highest in the history of the award, were received and counted from the members of the 2016, 2017, and 2018 World Science Fiction Conventions. This year’s award statue base was designed by Helsinki-based artist Eeva Jokinen.

This also marked the year that the Hugo Award was certified by the Guinness Book of World Records as the longest running Science Fiction Award ever!

All winners are in bold.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 03:33 AM   #2
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
That's a worthy set of winners! I can't wait till The Stone Sky comes out. (counting the hours...)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 05:59 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Never heard of them!

Where are the old standards I grew up with?

Isaac Asimov
Robert A. Heinlein
A.E. Van Vogt
Theodore Sturgeon
Fred Saberhagen
Roger Zelazny
Clifford D. Simak
Eric Frank Russell

I haven't heard from them in awhile.

I almost think they're dead or something!

Should I read this novel by....(Let me get that name again. Just a moment....Ok, got it)....N. K. Jemisin?

I want stories where men are men and they enjoy racing back-and-forth through the length of their spaceship as they solve problems and venture into uncharted territories [alien worlds]. They don't smoke, but they like to take a belt or two when times are tough. When they're not being astrophysicists, they like working at newspapers - the center of power and the American way of life. Romance is Ok, but it must happen off-stage and quickly, so as not to pester the reader with unpleasant details or get in the way of the story.

Does this N. K. Jemisin woman write stories like the above?

Thanks for your help.

Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Never heard of them!

Where are the old standards I grew up with?

Isaac Asimov
Robert A. Heinlein
A.E. Van Vogt
Theodore Sturgeon
Fred Saberhagen
Roger Zelazny
Clifford D. Simak
Eric Frank Russell
Isaac Asimov -dead
Robert A. Heinlein -dead
A.E. Van Vogt -dead
Theodore Sturgeon -dead
Fred Saberhagen -dead
Roger Zelazny -dead
Clifford D. Simak -dead
Eric Frank Russell -dead
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 06:53 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I too have not previously heard of Ms. Jemisin, but I'll certainly give her books a try.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2017, 08:01 AM   #6
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
It's been quite a few years since I've recognized more than a few of the Hugo award authors. As little as 15 years ago, I not only recognize all the authors of the novels nominated, I had read then all as well. Over the last five years, it seems that they nominate one or two name authors (who typically don't win) and the rest are people I've never heard of. This year, they didn't have any that I've heard of.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 08:04 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
It's been quite a few years since I've recognized more than a few of the Hugo award authors. As little as 15 years ago, I not only recognize all the authors of the novels nominated, I had read then all as well. Over the last five years, it seems that they nominate one or two name authors (who typically don't win) and the rest are people I've never heard of. This year, they didn't have any that I've heard of.
Likewise, but perhaps we should consider their nomination to be a good way to discover new authors? Obviously these novels are considered to be good by the people who voted for them. I'll certainly give them a go.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:05 AM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After extensive research (30 seconds), I found out that the Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel by N. K. Jemisin is actually Book II in a Fantasy series.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:06 AM   #9
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Isaac Asimov -dead
Robert A. Heinlein -dead
A.E. Van Vogt -dead
Theodore Sturgeon -dead
Fred Saberhagen -dead
Roger Zelazny -dead
Clifford D. Simak -dead
Eric Frank Russell -dead

That's hardly an excuse to stop writing.
Old 08-13-2017, 08:08 AM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
After extensive research (30 seconds), I found out that the Hugo Award for Best Science Fiction Novel by N. K. Jemisin is actually Book II in a Fantasy series.
Yes, that was the meaning of meera's post #2: the final book in said trilogy is coming out this month.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:04 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
I used to know all the artists winning the various music awards when I was younger, too. Things change. I chalk it up to getting old and being out of touch (and use it as a reminder to step outside the rut I dig myself into when I get too complacent).

The genre used to be a treehouse (even as little as 15 years ago). Not too difficult to keep track of everyone who hangs out at the treehouse. Now the genre is a sovereign nation. We're not supposed to instantly recognize everyone that someone else may hold up as a shining example.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 08-13-2017 at 09:07 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:05 AM   #12
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
And the first book in the series won the Hugo last year. If you've not heard of her, you really haven't been paying attention to the field.

ETA: She was first nominated for a Nebula and for a Hugo way back in 2010, and had multiple nominations for both since. She's been shortlisted for the Tiptree also, and also had nominations for World Fantasy and Locus awards, with a Locus win.

Last edited by meeera; 08-13-2017 at 10:07 AM.
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2017, 10:14 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I no longer really follow the genre award scene, but even I've heard of Jemisin (and several of the other nominees). She's been around a while.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:22 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

I'm seriously out of touch with the modern SF scene.
Old 08-13-2017, 10:31 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm seriously out of touch with the modern SF scene.
That's more than fair. I am too. I just make sure I still dip my toes into it from time to time.