Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 07-14-2017, 10:49 PM   #1
gbraad
gbraad began at the beginning.

Device: Boox (several)
Two page view?

I have PDFs that I want to read in a two-page (side-by-side) on my Max Carta. However, I have been unable to track down how to do this... :-s
gbraad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 11:41 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbraad View Post
I have PDFs that I want to read in a two-page (side-by-side) on my Max Carta. However, I have been unable to track down how to do this... :-s
I showed that done through ezPDF at
Any experience on Boox Max as a PDF reader? ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?p=3524391 )
I also posted a video.

Time permitting, I will try to add the option to Ivan Ivanenko's. Time is scarce.

Last edited by mdp; 07-15-2017 at 11:44 AM.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 09:51 AM   #3
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Nova 2, Kingrow K1 (former N96 ML/i86ML Plus/M92)
I asked for implementing such a feature for epub to Booxtor.
If someone else is interested and want to endorse the request... :-)
underscore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2017, 02:07 PM   #4
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underscore View Post
I asked for implementing such a feature for epub to Booxtor.
If someone else is interested and want to endorse the request... :-)
For EPUB? Two column view is a feature of FBReader. I also published a customized version years ago in this forum that would give two columns view in portrait mode also (newspaper like). That version was first of all needed because the Onyx firmware already contained an FBReader instance, and you cannot install two - so I provided one which changed the package name. One note: the recent versions of FBReader do not render properly on the Onyx products - they go white on white. At that time, I published two quickly patched recent ones blindly, then as I realized they had such fault I directly posted the one I did use, although with less formalisms, as it just worked. It was relabelled as FBReaderM, and it should be still posted somewhere (people found it and thanked me not long ago).

To post something again, I may tweak it a bit more and add full screen refresh through some clever tap, which would allow for using the app in full screen. But it would still be an old version of FBReader - unless I figure out why recent ones do not render properly (but I do not see any compelling reason to use the recent ones - the old ones worked just fine).
Old 07-17-2017, 07:46 PM   #5
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
I may tweak it a bit more and add full screen refresh through some clever tap
So there you go. I thought it would be faster, but I forgot the pitfall: the Onyx SDK demands to operate the EPD refresh on a view, which you have to find if the software is not yours. Took me over an hour.

So, again: this (old, as an original release) version of FBReader
  • can be installed on the Onyx firmware, which is (was?) normally impossible;
  • can be used in two columns mode both landscape and portrait (the original would refuse to do double columns portrait);
  • refreshes the screen on tap on corner (although, for some reason, I can never see ghosting, so...)

Note: I believe that at first install, one should change the background to solid white (menu → Settings → Colors & wallpapers) - the default is some tiled image which makes the background grainy. Also: do not forget to install your favourite font (menu → Settings → Directories ; menu → Settings → Text); to try the "two column view" (menu → Settings → Appearance); to set your styles, margins etc.

There it is; remove the .zip extension, only needed to upload the package.

Disclaimer: I take no responsibility etc.
Attached Files
File Type: zip org.geometerplus.zlibrary.ui.android.ALT17a.apk.zip (3.93 MB, 211 views)

Last edited by mdp; 07-17-2017 at 07:55 PM.
Advert
Old 07-17-2017, 09:02 PM   #6
mdp
Wizard

Example
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MaxCarta_FBReader.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	157983  
Old 07-18-2017, 03:25 AM   #7
underscore
Addict
underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.underscore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you!
it look pretty cool on my N96ML
Old 07-26-2017, 09:07 AM   #8
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Note: I believe that at first install, one should change the background to solid white (menu → Settings → Colors & wallpapers) - the default is some tiled image which makes the background grainy. Also: do not forget to install your favourite font (menu → Settings → Directories ; menu → Settings → Text); to try the "two column view" (menu → Settings → Appearance); to set your styles, margins etc.
...and of course, disable the animations (under "Page turning").

I am notified of a strange behaviour: does it run full-screen on yours (some user cannot achieve full-screen)? It should (cpr. the screenshot).
Old 07-26-2017, 10:37 AM   #9
underscore
Addict

On my N96 ML with last 4.0.4 firmware from Booxtor (V1.8.2 N96 ML)
android system bar does not disappear completely.
White icons on the bar get almost totally blackened though.

Anyway i put it as my default epub application as the two page view seems to greatly increase my reading speed.
I would have never said before trying.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:40 AM   #10
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
On my N96 ML with last 4.0.4 firmware from Booxtor (V1.8.2 N96 ML)
android system bar does not disappear completely.
I suspect it could be a bug in the device specific firmware. On the MaxCarta, (optional) firmware imposed full-screen works.

Quote:
the bar get almost totally blackened though.
Immersive mode!

Quote:
Anyway i put it as my default epub application as the two page view seems to greatly increase my reading speed.
I would have never said before trying.
One of the old tricks for speed reading: you use narrow columns and you let the eye flow in the middle of the column - peripheral vision does the rest.
Myself, I prefer it because it is more layout-efficient.

Last edited by mdp; 07-26-2017 at 11:43 AM.
Old 07-28-2017, 12:50 AM   #11
gbraad
gbraad began at the beginning.

Device: Boox (several)
ePUB allow for reflowing of text easily, so yes... FBReader can do this for you. But I asked about PDF, and it seems the stock reader applications do not allow this. Especially for the maxCarta, in landscape view, this seems like a missed opportunity.

Will resort to a 3rd party app
gbraad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 08:10 AM   #12
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbraad View Post
But I asked about PDF, [...]
Will resort to a 3rd party app
So, have you tried ezPDF as suggested?
If you identify other tools, share findings
Old 08-12-2017, 12:38 PM   #13
BKeeper
Groupie
BKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enoughBKeeper will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle PW
You have to use ezpdf.
But adjust app setting for horizontal view.
Actually it would be great I we could simulate a gyro and force landscape on all the apps at will. :-)
BKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 12:18 PM   #14
mdp
Wizard

I had an exchange today with Ivan on GitHub: he will implement the double page mode soon on Lirbi Reader. We will have to thank him somehow.
Old 08-24-2017, 03:56 AM   #15
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
I had an exchange today with Ivan on GitHub: he will implement the double page mode soon on Lirbi Reader. We will have to thank him somehow.
Ivan delivered a beta that I am testing: the "double page mode" on Librera (recent new name of com.foobnix.pdf.reader) seems to work perfectly well.

He did it within the day. He's an amazing professional.

We can presume that the function will be integrated in the next stable version.

Please find some examples here. You can see that the toolbar now contains a "double page" icon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	librera_doublepage_example.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	138.7 KB
ID:	158654   Click image for larger version

Name:	librera_doublepage_toolbar.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	158655