Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 06-09-2017, 03:57 PM   #31
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: see signature
I am really looking forward to color reflective screens, but I can't get excited about these trade show prototypes anymore. I used to be irritated with Nate Hoffelder for his cynical dismissal of new technologies in this area, but having seen a bunch of these over the years with still nothing on the market, I now fully understand his attitude. I will believe it when I see it (in an actual product you can buy, at a reasonable price, without having to use Google Translate on some exotic Chinese website).
Jmirko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2017, 03:20 PM   #32
Alan_S
Evangelist
Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alan_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Kobo Aura ONE
Well, from video, they should mass produce screens by the end of this year. It is not that far. And, they already have customer who needs this type of screen.

All in all, this could be just vaporware, but, why not wait a bit longer and see if it will transform into reality and actual device(s).
Alan_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-12-2017, 10:32 AM   #33
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
I still don't understand why the they don't use transflective displays as found on hiking sat-navs.

The Jetbook used a B&W transflective screen, so it isn't anything inherent in the tech.
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 11:21 AM   #34
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Need some advice here. The yotaphone 3 is coming this fall and I want to get it but if clearink comes up with a phone/ e paper screen that can play video, maybe it'd better to wait.
tracey1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #35
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
The devices he was holding had terrible looking screens. They were washed out and showed a lot of color shadowing. Yuk. They look nothing like the picture depicted in the YouTube video box. Once you view the actual video it looks terrible. I don't think that would be good to read on for very long.
So, pretty much another Mirasol.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-25-2017, 01:59 PM   #36
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I'd be much more interested in this technology for my cell phone. I don't read comics or mags, so color and video is a waste of money for me reading novels that don't even include B&W pictures 99.9% of the time. And I sure wouldn't want to watch a movie in 4096 colors, but I never watch movies on tablets or cell phones or even my PC either, I like big screens for that.

But I'd kill for a way to be able to read my cell phone 100% of the time, in all light situations, including full bright outdoor daylight and direct sunlight.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2017, 02:01 AM   #37
Jmirko
Recovered collector
Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jmirko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

So it sounds like the Yotaphone 3 is the perfect fit for you, no need to wait for ClearInk.
Old 06-30-2017, 02:03 AM   #38
Jmirko
Recovered collector

Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
Need some advice here. The yotaphone 3 is coming this fall and I want to get it but if clearink comes up with a phone/ e paper screen that can play video, maybe it'd better to wait.
I wouldn't hold my breath for a ClearInk phone. Even if it comes out eventually, by that time you'll be ready for your next phone.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:53 PM   #39
Jason90
Addict
Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jason90 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
The dream of a usable reflective screen seems to be coming to fruition which is very exciting ,however as someone mentioned earlier the demo unit does leave one wanting.

Anyone else noticed that the liquavista website has been overhauled?

Looks like Clearink might of sparked a renewed effort to get amazons tech out there.

Of all reflective technologies known thus far liquavista is clearly the leader by a wide margin,2018 should be an interesting year for display technology indeed!

EDIT: Something else i noticed on the prototype ,the one showing the cartoon video,this clearink tech is reportedly 33hz or can display 33fps but that video is clearly running at sub 24hz/fps so maybe that is a future target and not what the tech can achieve in it's current state

Last edited by Jason90; 07-31-2017 at 10:57 PM.
Jason90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 08:21 AM   #40
AnimalOfArt
Groupie
AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnimalOfArt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: changing frequently
Nice!

CLEARink Closes $5M In Funding

Quote:
The current round of $10M is half subscribed and the company expects to close the rest of this round shortly. This funding round enables the company to complete trial manufacturing and commence mass production next year.
http://www.marketwired.com/press-rel...ng-2231246.htm
AnimalOfArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2017, 10:51 PM   #41
tracey1
Addict
tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tracey1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder whether Onyx or one of these companies would team up with Clearink
Old 09-03-2017, 07:26 AM   #42
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
I'll wait until viable products are actual available.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 05:04 PM   #43
tracey1
Addict

One question I have about this. Why are ClearInk displays supposed to be much cheaper than E-ink. What is it about the manufacturing process that allows this ? From what I've read they're supposed to be just as cheap as LCD Displays.

Last edited by tracey1; 09-10-2017 at 05:30 PM.
Old 09-11-2017, 04:29 AM   #44
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by tracey1 View Post
One question I have about this. Why are ClearInk displays supposed to be much cheaper than E-ink. What is it about the manufacturing process that allows this ? From what I've read they're supposed to be just as cheap as LCD Displays.
Just 3 layers
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2017, 10:41 AM   #45
tracey1
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeB1972 View Post
Just 3 layers
What about them having a video version and a bistable one ? Anybody care to explain the difference ?