Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-01-2017, 10:56 AM   #31
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think I can quite honestly say that you're the first person ever to request this in the entire history of MobileRead .
First person to request yes, not first person to disable a sleep case.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2017, 01:58 PM   #32
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
My KV is jailbroken, and I follow the hacks sporadically, I haven't seen one that does that.

Btw, I wasn't asking how, I was just offering a reason why to do it.
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2017, 02:17 PM   #33
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gryzor View Post
I came here looking for the answer to the same question. Here's my reasoning:

I have set up the screensaver hack and I use personal info. I would like, if I lost it and someone found it, for them to be able to see my info so there's a chance of returning it!

Plus, I like looking at the covers
Get a cover that isn't a sleep cover. That way when the cover is opened, the Kindle won't wake from sleep.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2017, 02:17 AM   #34
Gryzor
Enthusiast
Gryzor began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Voyage
As I said, I'm not asking how, just offering a why...
Gryzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:26 AM   #35
Slater
Slater began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
i could really use that feature for a different reason. i'm NOT using a cover, and don't want to use a cover, yet the magnetic sensor keeps randomly turning my kindle on because of the magnetic fields of other devices carried next to it. after which random interaction with the touch screen occurs.

more often than not, the first step after turning my kindle on is to restore my font to what it was and navigate back to what i had read...

Last edited by Slater; 09-15-2017 at 06:50 AM.
Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-15-2017, 08:13 AM   #36
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slater View Post
i could really use that feature for a different reason. I'm NOT using a cover, and don't want to use a cover, yet the magnetic sensor keeps randomly turning my kindle on because of the magnetic fields of other devices carried next to it. after which random interaction with the touch screen occurs.

more often than not, the first step after turning my kindle on is to restore my font to what it was and navigate back to what i had read...
In those conditions, it is a non-problem.

You will break the Kindle's screen real soon, not be able to use it, and then will have no problem about what it shows on the screen.

Until then, just shield or remove the Hall Effect sensor.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 09:22 AM   #37
Slater
Slater began at the beginning.

Device: kindle paperwhite
*sigh* yes, I'm pretty careless with my kindle. get over it. I actually used to break around 2 kindle screens per year. after the third or so, i started keeping a spare and learned to replace the screen myself. that was before the paperwhite, though. the extra light-carrying layer in the paperwhite's screen makes it much sturdier, I haven't broken one of those yet, in 4 years of use under similar conditions. I'm really satisfied with the paperwhite, except for that annoying sensor.

to my understanding, the hall effect sensor is integrated into the board and cannot be reasonably removed? and I don't think I can shield the sensor in all directions without putting some kind of cover on the kindle (which I don't want). I'm up for suggestions, but I've come to believe that a software hack to disable this "feature" would be easier.
Slater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 11:36 AM   #38
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
- - - - -
I've come to believe that a software hack to disable this "feature" would be easier.
Well, go ahead, write one and share it with us.
There is a sub-forum of this one for those purposes.

You have already noticed that you are updating a 2-1/2 year old thread without anyone providing the package you want.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2020, 01:32 AM   #39
yparitcher
Connoisseur
yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yparitcher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4 KT4 PW4 PW5
Quote:
i could really use that feature for a different reason. i'm NOT using a cover, and don't want to use a cover, yet the magnetic sensor keeps randomly turning my kindle on because of the magnetic fields of other devices carried next to it. after which random interaction with the touch screen occurs.

a little late but there is a solution here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=3969455
yparitcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:32 AM   #40
pandaeye
pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'pandaeye understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: none
I have tried to search but I am unable to find the answer. Can anyone point me the position(s) of the magnetic sensor for a kindle paperwhite 4? Also, does the strength of the magnet matter in triggering on/off of the device?

I am trying to make something with magnet that can wake the pw4.
pandaeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 12:49 PM   #41
Richwood
Astronomy Nut
Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Richwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle (All), Kobo (Multiple), Sony (most) and Nook Glowlight Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandaeye View Post
I have tried to search but I am unable to find the answer. Can anyone point me the position(s) of the magnetic sensor for a kindle paperwhite 4? Also, does the strength of the magnet matter in triggering on/off of the device?

I am trying to make something with magnet that can wake the pw4.
Both after market covers I have for the PW4 have the wake on opening feature. I used a thin magnet to determine where in the cover the magnet is for waking the reader. It looks like the sensor is about 2.25" up from the reader lower edge and 1" in from the reader left edge. 2 other magnets in the cover close to the upper and lower right corners with the cover closed hold it closed. So 3 magnets are embedded in my ACdream Folio cover. Hope this helps.
Richwood is offline   Reply With Quote