Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2015, 06:30 PM   #1
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW,KOBO H2O
Paperwhite: how to disable wake up function

Just got my paperwhite 2, love it. bought a case from amazon. when I open the case, the pw2 wakes up, it might great for someone,but I'd rather turn off this function. I dont like it automatically turn on or off. How to do this?

Thanks
Smartie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
ashort
Connoisseur
ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ashort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 10th Gen
Use a "non-wake" case. A case without a magnet.
ashort is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2015, 07:38 PM   #3
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Interesting. That's one of my favorite features!

It's not possible to disable it through software (at least not w/o some hacks, for which I don't know of any that have been released).

The sleep/wake is controlled by a little magnet in the lower & outer corner of the flip cover. You either have to buy a case without this magnet, or somehow remove the magnet from your cover. Depending which cover you have this might be easy or hard. On the official Amazon cover I can feel the magnet by putting my pocket knife there and it grabs the side of the blade, but I don't feel any indentation that would indicate that it'd be easy to dig out. Regardless it probably wouldn't look good if you did that with the official cover -- other covers might slip it between layers where it's easy to extract without cosmetic damage.
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2015, 08:47 PM   #4
Smartie
Addict
Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Smartie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Interesting. That's one of my favorite features!

It's not possible to disable it through software (at least not w/o some hacks, for which I don't know of any that have been released).

The sleep/wake is controlled by a little magnet in the lower & outer corner of the flip cover. You either have to buy a case without this magnet, or somehow remove the magnet from your cover. Depending which cover you have this might be easy or hard. On the official Amazon cover I can feel the magnet by putting my pocket knife there and it grabs the side of the blade, but I don't feel any indentation that would indicate that it'd be easy to dig out. Regardless it probably wouldn't look good if you did that with the official cover -- other covers might slip it between layers where it's easy to extract without cosmetic damage.
ok thanks. I remember I disabled it in Kobo,so I thought I could do same in PW too. probably have to buy another case
Old 01-08-2015, 01:10 AM   #5
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
That's one of my favorite features on ereaders as well. It also saves wear and tear on the power button, and after reading about a few breaking on readers, I figured that alone makes the sleep function a good idea. But it's just very convenient for me and I'd never want to go back to a reader without it.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2015, 03:58 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I think I can quite honestly say that you're the first person ever to request this in the entire history of MobileRead .
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:04 AM   #7
Smartie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I think I can quite honestly say that you're the first person ever to request this in the entire history of MobileRead .
ok,I surrendered and decided to keep the cover
Old 01-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
ok,I surrendered and decided to keep the cover
Sorry, that was by no means intended as a criticism: if you don't like it, you don't like it. Why not return the case and get a non-sleep case instead? There are a few different ones available.
Old 01-08-2015, 10:33 AM   #9
SteveK
Addict
SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, PW2, Kindle3, Kobo Glo, tablets, phone
Smartie - I have the sleep cover for my original Paperwhite and another one for my Paperwhite2. I find it very convenient to have the Kindle automatically turn on/off when I open/close the cover, and wish I could find a similar cover for my Asus tablet I recently purchased. I also like the way the case adds virtually no bulk to the PW2, resulting in a sleek, light reader that is easy to hold. I don't know of a way to turn this function off. (Other than buying a different case, of course). Maybe you'll get used to it, as obviously most devices don't automatically turn on when you open the cover.

Best of luck with your new Paperwhite 2! Hopefully you'll enjoy yours as much as I've enjoyed mine the past couple of years.

SteveK

Last edited by SteveK; 01-08-2015 at 10:35 AM.
SteveK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 10:43 AM   #10
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I found a sleep cover that works very well for my Asus MeMO HD7 tablet at Amazon (I bought this one but at the time they also had it in navy, which is what I got and it was only $12.89 at the time). They are out there unless you have some odd sized tablet.
Old 01-08-2015, 11:05 AM   #11
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I'm another fan of the sleep cover...but as far as I know, Amazon is the only manufacturer that doesn't have a user setting that allows you to turn the functionality off. Admittedly, my experience is fairly limited--the only devices I own that respond to a sleep cover are my iPad, my Kobo Aura HD, and of course my KPW2.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 12:29 PM   #12
Smartie
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry, that was by no means intended as a criticism: if you don't like it, you don't like it. Why not return the case and get a non-sleep case instead? There are a few different ones available.
I know

Thanks as usual
Old 01-08-2015, 02:34 PM   #13
EbokJunkie
Addict
EbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blueEbokJunkie can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Pocketbook 301+, Pocketbook Touch, Sony 950, 350
There are multiple situations when sleep function is harmful.
Examples:
1) Kitchen, cooking using Kindle as a cook book; hands are wet/dirty, something is boiling/burning, time to add ingredient... and cook book decided its time to get some z's.
2) Kindle used as a prompter at some public presentation: Sleep function is a great annoyance.
EbokJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 03:07 PM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbokJunkie View Post
There are multiple situations when sleep function is harmful.
Examples:
1) Kitchen, cooking using Kindle as a cook book; hands are wet/dirty, something is boiling/burning, time to add ingredient... and cook book decided its time to get some z's.
2) Kindle used as a prompter at some public presentation: Sleep function is a great annoyance.
We are talking in this thread about the sleep/wake function of a cover, not the inactivity sleep timer.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:08 PM   #15
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Isn't there a setting on Kindles how long to wait before it goes to sleep on its own? I was looking for it to see what mine is set at and can't find an option for the delay, so I have no idea how long before it auto-sleeps. If it shuts off after 15 minutes and no way to change that, I'll agree that can be annoying in some circumstances.

My other readers I leave set to sleep after 60 minutes. Gives me plenty of time to handle interruptions and there's really no drain when the page is fixed.

I know this has nothing to do with the sleep cover, but the previous post brought it up and got my curiosity going about it.