Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 09-23-2013, 08:46 AM   #1
hard_boiled
hard_boiled began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
No more Drag and Drop?

I have been using calibre for a few years now, and I love it! However, when I updated to 1.3 (and then 1.4) I can't drag and drop to add files to my library -- it simply doesn't work. I an using a Mac running 10.8.5. Anyone else having this problem?
hard_boiled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
It works fine on my Win 7 64bit machine.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 09-29-2013 at 10:21 PM. Reason: sp
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2013, 06:29 PM   #3
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
I just updated to 1.5 tonight and tried to add books to my library with drag and drop, and I am unable to do it. I was able to in 1.4. When I try to drag and drop, the only indication that I can't do it is the circle with the slash through it in the library listing. I don't have any reader attached. I'm just trying to add using drag and drop.
I can use the Add book function ok, just not drag and drop.

Last edited by toomuchreading; 09-26-2013 at 06:44 PM. Reason: More testing
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #4
toomuchreading
Groupie
toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.toomuchreading once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-T1
Ok, I did a lot more testing, and even tried to 'repair' my install. When that failed, I uninstalled Calibre, and then reinstalled it again. Once I did that, the drag and drop worked again. It seems for some reason, doing the update didn't work properly. The uninstall/reinstall fixed the issue so far for me.
toomuchreading is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 01:59 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
on W7 (details on side)
Drag n drop (book) to main area works
Drag n Drop a format to Details: just ignored
Drag n Drop a Cover to Details works

With details on Bottom:
Drag n Drop a format to Details: works
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-27-2013, 06:10 PM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
on W7 (details on side)...
Drag n Drop a format to Details: just ignored
Works for me on Win7. I drop prc files from Mobicreator and docx files from Word onto Book details (on left) most days of the week.

Maybe you should do what toomuchreading did, reinstall Calibre

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:25 PM   #7
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PC (Calibre), Nexus 7 2013 (Moon+ Pro), HTC HD2/Leo (Freda)
It's funny, I was thinking that being able to add formats when the book details was in one location, but not another, was probably a bug.
Sabardeyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:11 PM   #8
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
I've tried to drag and drop an entire folder onto the Calibre main area, but it won't let me. I can drop books (epub files) there, and then it works. However, I've never used drag and drop before, so I can't say if this is the normal behavior or not.

I'm running version 1.5 on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 01:27 PM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
I've tried to drag and drop an entire folder onto the Calibre main area, but it won't let me. I can drop books (epub files) there, and then it works. However, I've never used drag and drop before, so I can't say if this is the normal behavior or not.

I'm running version 1.5 on Windows 7 x64 Ultimate.
Folder or folder contents
The latter works for me.
Old 09-28-2013, 01:46 PM   #10
Sabardeyn
Guru
Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sabardeyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can you drag & drop a zipped folder with multiple ebooks inside?
Old 09-28-2013, 01:52 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabardeyn View Post
Can you drag & drop a zipped folder with multiple ebooks inside?
Yes, it is allowed
But No, it is not useful. You can't do much with it.
1 Book and format (includes the full set of if HTML) per zip/RAR if you want it treated as a book
Old 09-28-2013, 08:25 PM   #12
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Yes, it is allowed
But No, it is not useful. You can't do much with it.
1 Book and format (includes the full set of if HTML) per zip/RAR if you want it treated as a book
If its a zip or rar full of images, and nothing else, it will be converted (renamed) to a CBZ or CBR - first image will be the cover.

A CBZ can have multiple folders - I think they're used to have multiple comics in a book, eg a year of spiderman. I assume CBR's are similar.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 09-28-2013 at 08:49 PM. Reason: note re multiple folders
Old 09-28-2013, 09:30 PM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats

CBR and CBZ are the exception

Put both a Mobi and a EPUB into a single zip, then add. Calibre just goes and saves the zip. You can't view or convert
Old 09-28-2013, 11:09 PM   #14
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
CBR and CBZ are the exception
And where there's an exception then I will probably find it
Old 09-29-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
Sabardeyn
Guru

That was kind of why I asked. We were having the conversation with BeeTee-Ess, in the Books in .ZIP files thread and wanted to make sure that drag & drop didn't offer different functionality.

Tags
add books, calibre, drag & drop, library