Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations > Book Clubs

Notices

View Poll Results: Short Stories Run-Off June 2012 • The MR Literary Club
The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka 3 23.08%
My Old Man by Ernest Hemingway 6 46.15%
Fifty-One Tales by Lord Dunsany 4 30.77%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-10-2012, 10:09 PM   #1
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
Short Stories Run-Off June 2012 • The MR Literary Club

Help us choose the June 2012 selection to read for the MR Literary Club! The run-off poll will be open for one day.

In the event of a tie, the tie will be resolved in favour of the selection that received all of its initial nominations first.

Note - Our timeline is changing slightly and next month's nominations will begin on JULY 1ST.

Select from the following works:

The Metamorphosis, In the Penal Colony, and Other Stories by Franz Kafka
Spoiler:
A collection of almost all short to medium length works

My Old Man by Ernest Hemingway
Spoiler:

Fifty-One Tales by Lord Dunsany
Spoiler:
This collection shows Dunsany (Edward John Moreton Drax Plunkett, 18th Baron of Dunsany) to be a master of the short story from pure fantasy to commentary on the human spirit and society.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #2
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
I'm going to stick with Lord Dunsany.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-10-2012, 10:34 PM   #3
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm sticking with Hemingway!
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 10:56 PM   #4
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm sticking with Hemingway!
Me too! I hope we don't end up with another tie again like last month.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2012, 11:46 PM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I stuck with Kafka because I respected The Metamorphosis when I read it at university and I haven't read anything else he's written.

However, to be honest, all three options sound pretty interesting to me. I've never bothered with Dunsany, but this might be a good intro to his writing and I can't see how you could go wrong with Hemmingway.

So it looks like even if I lose, I win.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-11-2012, 03:01 AM   #6
fantasyfan
Wizard
fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fantasyfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, 4G, iPad Air 2, iPhone IE
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
I'm going to stick with Lord Dunsany.
Same here!
fantasyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 04:03 AM   #7
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
eventually I went with Hemingway, as I had a bad experience with him as a teenager, and haven't read him since them - and possibly won't for a while more without the commitment of the club!
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #8
Hamlet53
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Me too! I hope we don't end up with another tie again like last month.
I guess that there is a perverse side to me as part of me was rooting for a record setting four way tie going into this runoff.

I chose to stay with my original choice of Dunsany. The only reason to vote for any other would be if there was one selection I did not want to win. In this case though all are good.
Old 06-12-2012, 09:06 PM   #9
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
I'm going to wait to read My Old Man till a day or two before the discussion begins.

When will that be?
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 12:52 AM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
I decided to purchase The Complete Short Stories of Ernest Hemingway : The Finca Vigia Edition published by Simon & Schuster in the US. It includes "The First Fourty-Nine" plus 21 other stories. Finca Vigia (Lookout Farm) was his home in San Francisco de Paula, Cuba where he lived on and off for 2 decades. It has a very short foreword by his sons. Wikipedia has a great synopsis about this collection.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Com...nest_Hemingway
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 05:40 AM   #11
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
I'm going to wait to read My Old Man till a day or two before the discussion begins.

When will that be?
The discussion will begin on the first of the next month (and will be the last time doing so), so July 1st.

Last edited by sun surfer; 06-13-2012 at 05:49 AM.
Old 06-13-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
GeorgeH kindly uploaded My Old Man to the MR library, for anyone in +50 countries to read.

Perhaps a moderator could edit in the links for the downloads to the first post of this thread?
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 10:24 AM   #13
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
GeorgeH kindly uploaded My Old Man to the MR library, for anyone in +50 countries to read.

Perhaps a moderator could edit in the links for the downloads to the first post of this thread?
The person to ask this of would be the OP—sun surfer.
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 01:56 PM   #14
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
I see that the EPUB of the first 49 short stories (which include My Old Man) has been added today to the MR Library - heartfelt thanks to all those selfless souls who ad well formatted books
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2012, 04:45 PM   #15
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by paola View Post
I see that the EPUB of the first 49 short stories (which include My Old Man) has been added today to the MR Library - heartfelt thanks to all those selfless souls who ad well formatted books
These are great, thanks! I think most everyone interested will also be reading these posts too and see the links.