Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-04-2017, 09:59 PM   #16
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
There is a mathematics of uncertainty.
I can't say if it would help out in this case.
Code:
The Robertson–Schrödinger uncertainty relation may be generalized in a straightforward way to describe mixed states.[31]

σ A 2 σ B 2 ≥ ( 1 2 t r ( ρ { A , B } ) − tr ⁡ ( ρ A ) t r ( ρ B ) ) 2 + ( 1 2 i t r ( ρ [ A , B ] ) ) 2 {\displaystyle \sigma _{A}^{2}\sigma _{B}^{2}\geq \left({\frac {1}{2}}\mathrm {tr} (\rho \{A,B\})-\operatorname {tr} (\rho A)\mathrm {tr} (\rho B)\right)^{2}+\left({\frac {1}{2i}}\mathrm {tr} (\rho [A,B])\right)^{2}} \sigma _{A}^{2}\sigma _{B}^{2}\geq \left({\frac {1}{2}}\mathrm {tr} (\rho \{A,B\})-\operatorname {tr} (\rho A)\mathrm {tr} (\rho B)\right)^{2}+\left({\frac {1}{2i}}\mathrm {tr} (\rho [A,B])\right)^{2}
Not to worry about the forum not being able to display a lot of those mathematical symbols.
It isn't any more comprehensible when rendered properly.

Last edited by knc1; 07-04-2017 at 10:02 PM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 06:50 PM   #17
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis Waterproof 32GB 3G (without offers)
I picked up a Merlot cover (via Amazon Warehouse) the other day -- at $12, why not? I wonder if the Merlot cover was discontinued as the Merlot Oasis is listed as out of stock.

My Walnut cover has a few corners that are separating and the glue I used to attempt repair didn't work well (don't use Gorilla Glue!), so $12 for another cover that hopefully won't have that problem is an easy choice to make. I wouldn't have spent full price for it, though.

It will arrive this coming Monday, and I won't mind if it has a few scratches on it. It's possible that Amazon is selling off covers removed from returned units. Who knows? That price is crazily low, so I'm not expecting perfection.

Last edited by Buran; 07-12-2017 at 06:53 PM.
Buran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2017, 08:15 PM   #18
zebradude
Addict
zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zebradude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See Signature
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buran View Post
I picked up a Merlot cover (via Amazon Warehouse) the other day -- at $12, why not? I wonder if the Merlot cover was discontinued as the Merlot Oasis is listed as out of stock.

My Walnut cover has a few corners that are separating and the glue I used to attempt repair didn't work well (don't use Gorilla Glue!), so $12 for another cover that hopefully won't have that problem is an easy choice to make. I wouldn't have spent full price for it, though.

It will arrive this coming Monday, and I won't mind if it has a few scratches on it. It's possible that Amazon is selling off covers removed from returned units. Who knows? That price is crazily low, so I'm not expecting perfection.
Thank you for the "heads up" I just picked up a Walnut...
zebradude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 08:40 AM   #19
Mort1997
Wizard
Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mort1997 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony various , Voyage, Oasis, K3, K4T,Nook Glow+Kobo Aura/H2O/One
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebradude View Post
Thank you for the "heads up" I just picked up a Walnut...

Unfortunately they won't post to the UK from the US site!
Mort1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 09:21 AM   #20
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Quote:

Oh wow, thanks for posting that. I had no idea. I always wanted a backup cover for my Oasis. For $12, I couldn't pass it up. I have the walnut already and besides the markings from fingers and scratches, its in fine condition. Nothing separating that I can see. But I love my Oasis so much, I want to have a option. I got the Merlot from the Warehouse.

eta: mine is already on the way, I'll get it tomorrow.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2017, 03:24 PM   #21
Buran
Geek
Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Buran ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Oh wow, thanks for posting that. I had no idea. I always wanted a backup cover for my Oasis. For $12, I couldn't pass it up. I have the walnut already and besides the markings from fingers and scratches, its in fine condition. Nothing separating that I can see. But I love my Oasis so much, I want to have a option. I got the Merlot from the Warehouse.

eta: mine is already on the way, I'll get it tomorrow.
I switched my order to a different one (listed as in better condition) and the cost was only fifty cents more. It'll come Saturday instead of Monday -- bonus!

I think the separation on my cover was due to getting a lot of use -- I read a lot. Gorilla Glue did prevent it from getting worse but the glue expanded while setting and also did not set clear so it looks messy. I plan to keep the walnut cover as a spare and will charge it from time to time. It's also lost its fuzziness. I don't mind the scratches, since they're just signs of use ("character"!) but the corners peeling is not good as there's always a chance of one of those lips catching on something.

The black leather covers are also available used but appear to be selling for a bit over $40 and up. That's a bit out of my "Eh, I may as well" price range. Plus it was a toss-up between merlot and walnut when I originally ordered. Now I'll have both.

My two big wants for a follow-up Oasis would be more storage (lowish priority), more cover options and/or a solar cover (would love to just set it on a windowsill when not in use), and warmer-white LEDs instead of the cool-white ones used now (high priority because I read in bed at night a lot).
Old 07-13-2017, 10:55 PM   #22
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I switched my order to a different one (listed as in better condition) and the cost was only fifty cents more. It'll come Saturday instead of Monday -- bonus!

I think the separation on my cover was due to getting a lot of use -- I read a lot. Gorilla Glue did prevent it from getting worse but the glue expanded while setting and also did not set clear so it looks messy. I plan to keep the walnut cover as a spare and will charge it from time to time. It's also lost its fuzziness. I don't mind the scratches, since they're just signs of use ("character"!) but the corners peeling is not good as there's always a chance of one of those lips catching on something.

The black leather covers are also available used but appear to be selling for a bit over $40 and up. That's a bit out of my "Eh, I may as well" price range. Plus it was a toss-up between merlot and walnut when I originally ordered. Now I'll have both.

My two big wants for a follow-up Oasis would be more storage (lowish priority), more cover options and/or a solar cover (would love to just set it on a windowsill when not in use), and warmer-white LEDs instead of the cool-white ones used now (high priority because I read in bed at night a lot).
Solar cover. I have said this before in wish list threads. Wouldn't that be great? We might never have to plug it in ever again.

My walnut cover overall is in good shape. It does have by now some scratches and marks that I can't rub out anymore, looks aged. But I don't read with the cover most of the time. I say I read out of cover 80% of time so that is probably part of it.
Gorilla glue does expand, I learned that the hard way too.
Not sure what would work better, something very thin, fabric glue?

I got the very good condition offer as it was only a few cents more than the good and average option. Who knows how much difference there really is and how close they looked at them. I'll know soon. Too good of a price to pass up.
Old 07-14-2017, 11:14 AM   #23
Buran
Geek

Next time I'll just use white glue. I know it dries clear.
Old 07-14-2017, 02:56 PM   #24
Atunah
Wizard

So I just got my merlot cover for $12 and it looks brand new. I can't see any blemishes. I looked around the edges very carefully and the seems. The front and back. Only thing I can even barely see if I hold it sideways is a tiny 1 cm "scratch" on the back. I wouldn't really call it a scratch though as its not changing the color. Might just be some kind of thing where someone grabbed it. Basically to me it looks like one you might receive if I had ordered it new normally. I am pretty sure that one tiny thing can be gone if I use a little leather oil on it. Its that superficial.

As far as it working, I plugged my Oasis in and got the popup I have never seen but others have gotten. About it not being connected and some other text I can't remember. I plugged them in and saw that the cover was totally empty, at 0. So that might have been the issue. My original cover never went to empty, ever. I will see once it is charged how it acts with the Oasis.

So far so good. Especially for $12.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:24 PM   #25
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
I'll be interested in your experience charging it up. I've ordered one that doesn't arrive until next Wednesday, but I'm more concerned about the state of the battery which has maybe been without any charge for who knows how long than I am about the cover. I've got time to cancel the order if your cover doesn't accept a charge, or the battery doesn't retain the charge.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 08:43 PM   #26
Atunah
Wizard

I'll keep you updated. It charged fully just fine, just like the other one. Then I started reading. Couple of hours ago? I been on and off making dinner, but so far its acting like the old one. But I won't know for sure until I have more charges of the cover as I read. I mostly read out of cover, but with cover at night. I am a heavy reader so a charge gets me about 4-5 some days. That is about what I expect. We'll see if the new cover gives me the same. Again, I read a lot.

So far I am really happy with this deal.
Old 07-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #27
Strether
Guru
Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Strether ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1; iPad Air; iPhone 7; Kobo Libra; Kindle Oasis 3
Thanks. That's good news so far. My reading experience is about the same as yours and my charge with the current cover lasts about the same length of time. I figure maybe 24 hours or so of reading.

Jim
Strether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2017, 09:15 PM   #28
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Solar cover. I have said this before in wish list threads. Wouldn't that be great? We might never have to plug it in ever again.
- - - -
Now that is really an ancient dream.
It was done years ago and described in the Developer's Corner sub-forum of this forum.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2017, 12:40 AM   #29
Buran
Geek

I haven't found a solar cover for the Oasis for sale. So as far as I can tell it's just a rumor/discussion and not an actual product.

As for charging errors, I get those with the walnut cover from time to time. When they happen I just remove the cover and reattach. I think it's probably just the contacts slipping out of alignment.

I will also report condition and charging once the new cover arrives (tomorrow).
Old 07-15-2017, 09:59 AM   #30
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
I haven't found a solar cover for the Oasis for sale. So as far as I can tell it's just a rumor/discussion and not an actual product.

As for charging errors, I get those with the walnut cover from time to time. When they happen I just remove the cover and reattach. I think it's probably just the contacts slipping out of alignment.

I will also report condition and charging once the new cover arrives (tomorrow).
I have heard of those charging errors and I have never seen them myself. I only saw it once with the new cover, it was totally empty. So far I haven't seen it again on the new cover. Its still working as expected with no issues.

The Merlot is smooth so its easier to clean. Although I do like the look of the walnut, its just a wee bit more delicate as its suede like leather.

eta: the deal is now gone. All the colors are now back into the $40-ish range. I hope everyone that wanted one got the order in. I am so happy to have seen Buran's post.

Last edited by Atunah; 07-15-2017 at 10:40 AM.