Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-23-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Amazon "Digital Book" vs "Kindle Book"?

Am I remembering wrong that Amazon used to have listings for "Kindle Books" or maybe "Kindle Edition"?

When I went to one of the Kindle First books for June today, since time is running out to choose one, I see listings for a "Digital Book", "Paperback", "Audible Book", and "Audio CD". The only mention of Kindle is that you can read this on one (the ad at the top) and a different book lists a Kindle edition in the ads between this book and the reviews. Even the Kindle App is not referred to as the Kindle App, just as "Our Free App". I could swear the listing for "Digital Book" used to be "Kindle Book" or "Kindle Edition" instead of this.

Am I losing it or is this a change on Amazon's site? And, if it is a change, how long ago did this occur? I don't check too often so it may have been there for a while. Also, does this mean anything? It seems odd that they are not calling them Kindle books now given the branding over the last few years. How much of a game changer would it be if they decided to offer ePubs in addition to Kindle versions? That is the first reason I can think of to use a generic "Digital Book" name instead of Kindle specific.

Edit: Added a couple screenshots.
1) Kindle First book, The Man of Legends, showing just "Digital Book" and no mention of Kindle other than ads above and below (below not shown)
2) The Martian page showing "Digital Book"
3) The Martian search results - which still say "Kindle eBook"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Digbook.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	157484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martian.JPG
Views:	325
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	157485   Click image for larger version

Name:	Martian2.JPG
Views:	297
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	157486  

Last edited by Dazrin; 06-23-2017 at 01:56 PM.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:47 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Looked at a different book.
Said Kindle edition under the title.
Then the boxes said digital, paperback and audible (I think)
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 01:48 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Am I remembering wrong that Amazon used to have listings for "Kindle Books" or maybe "Kindle Edition"?

When I went to one of the Kindle First books for June today, since time is running out to choose one, I see listings for a "Digital Book", "Paperback", "Audible Book", and "Audio CD". The only mention of Kindle is that you can read this on one (the ad at the top) and a different book lists a Kindle edition in the ads between this book and the reviews. Even the Kindle App is not referred to as the Kindle App, just as "Our Free App". I could swear the listing for "Digital Book" used to be "Kindle Book" or "Kindle Edition" instead of this.

Am I losing it or is this a change on Amazon's site? And, if it is a change, how long ago did this occur? I don't check too often so it may have been there for a while. Also, does this mean anything? It seems odd that they are not calling them Kindle books now given the branding over the last few years. How much of a game changer would it be if they decided to offer ePubs in addition to Kindle versions? That is the first reason I can think of to use a generic "Digital Book" name instead of Kindle specific.
Hmmm...I'm still seeing it listed as "Kindle eBook"

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:03 PM   #4
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
I just added some screenshots to the first post to show what I am seeing.

I do see "Kindle eBook" or "Kindle Edition" in some places just not in format options for that item. Even the ones that say "Kindle Edition" in the ads change to "Digital Book" when I click on them. It does say "Kindle Edition" next to the title (which I missed before) but not in the format selection options.

I have attached the "Ad" for The Man Who Could Be King (another Kindle First book) that appears on the The Man of Legends page and then what it looks like when I click on it.

Again, this might just be me remembering things wrong but think I remember those boxes saying "Kindle Edition" or "Kindle Book" before.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ad.JPG
Views:	296
Size:	32.1 KB
ID:	157487   Click image for larger version

Name:	ActualPost.JPG
Views:	292
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	157488  

Last edited by Dazrin; 06-23-2017 at 02:58 PM. Reason: Book not Edition
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:33 PM   #5
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I just added some screenshots to the first post to show what I am seeing.

I do see "Kindle eBook" or "Kindle Edition" in some places just not in format options for that item. Even the ones that say "Kindle Edition" in the ads change to "Digital Edition" when I click on them. It does say "Kindle Edition" next to the title (which I missed before) but not in the format selection options.

I have attached the "Ad" for The Man Who Could Be King (another Kindle First book) that appears on the The Man of Legends page and then what it looks like when I click on it.

Again, this might just be me remembering things wrong but think I remember those boxes saying "Kindle Edition" or "Kindle Book" before.
I've attached a screenshot of what I see when I look at that book on Amazon.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	KindleeBook.png
Views:	324
Size:	252.3 KB
ID:	157489  
Old 06-23-2017, 02:43 PM   #6
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I get the same thing as Dazrin.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 02:56 PM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I am seeing Kindle ebook.

But I have heard from someone who is seeing "digital book".
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2017, 04:06 PM   #8
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
For the same book I see "Kindle Edition" after the title and "eBook" in the format choice section.

Added: Perhaps Amazon is trying to make it clear to potential customers that the e-books they sell can be read using apps on all major platforms, not just on Kindle devices.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ebook.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	157491  

Last edited by jhowell; 06-23-2017 at 05:00 PM.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:21 AM   #9
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I am seeing Kindle ebook.
Just checked. I am also still seeing Kindle eBook.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 09:48 AM   #10
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I see digital book via Fire Tablet.
(All books that I checked. It took noticeably longer to populate that box than the other formats.)

I'll have to see if it shows different on PC or XBOX.
It may be location dependent.

Edit: not location dependent. I also see digital book via Edge on Xbox, but ebook via Edge on PC, and Kindle ebook via Chrome on cellphone.

Verrry interrrestink...

Last edited by fjtorres; 06-24-2017 at 10:33 AM. Reason: Correction. Book instead of edition.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 10:02 AM   #11
shalym
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
I see digital edition via Fire Tablet.
(All books that I checked. It took noticeably longer to populate that box than the other formats.)

I'll have to see if it shows different on PC or XBOX.
It may be location dependent.

Edit: not location dependent. I also see digital edition via Edge on Xbox, but ebook via Edge on PC, and Kindle ebook via Chrome on cellphone.

Verrry interrrestink...
Very very interesting. When I look using Microsoft Edge or Chrome, I see "Digital Book", but in Firefox and Internet Explorer I see "Kindle eBook". This is all on my PC. When I look using Chrome on my phone, I just see "Kindle"

Shari

Last edited by shalym; 06-24-2017 at 10:06 AM.
Old 06-24-2017, 10:22 AM   #12
pgnds
Patty
pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pgnds ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-3, Fire 1st & 5 gen 8"
I have seen "Digital Book" on books as well
pgnds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 01:39 PM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I see "ebook".
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2017, 05:14 PM   #14
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
Yesterday I saw "Digital book". Today I see "ebook".
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2017, 09:43 AM   #15
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
Yesterday I saw "Digital book". Today I see "ebook".
What do you see after you clear the cache and all of the Amazon related cookies of that specific browser you are using for your tests?
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote