Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-17-2017, 11:36 AM   #16
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm finding that my "gadget churn" is slowing way down as the market matures. I had my last phone (iPhone 4) for four and a half years, and I expect to keep my current iPhone 6, which I've now had for two years, just as long. I've had my Kindle Voyage for over two years, which is the longest I've used any eInk reader for, and nothing's come out in the intervening time that's tempted me to change. It's reached the point where the stuff I already own does what I need it to do.

I do still buy new stuff occasionally. My last (very!) big purchase was my 12.9" iPad Pro a couple of months back, but again I'll almost certainly keep that for several years.

As such, I do tend to buy good cases for my gadgets, because I know I'll be using them for a while.
I do the same thing. I had my S$ for 4 years and just got an S*. I would still have the S4 except the battery would not hold a charge and the phone was starting to overheat. I keep my eReader until it stops working before I buy another one.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 11:42 AM   #17
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
I still use my K2 daily and my original Kindle fire almost daily, but the Fire has been somewhat replaced by reading on my phone Blu Energy XL which is almost as big as the Fire and has other advantages as well...
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 07:14 PM   #18
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
So what's different about the HD 8? It looks like the same size so you won't need a new case. The only difference I see is that you can now have an SD card up to 256 instead of 200, and it weighs one ounce more.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 12:16 AM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
So what's different about the HD 8? It looks like the same size so you won't need a new case. The only difference I see is that…it weighs one ounce more.
And don't you know some review is going to knock it for that!
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 08:19 PM   #20
WestCactus
Zealot
WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WestCactus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Oasis 1 & 3, Fire 8
The new one 8HD has 16 gig memory upgradable to 256. Is that a total of 256 or additional? I do not see it is efficient to pay $20 more for the 32gig model. SD is cheap. Any thoughts?
WestCactus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 10:01 PM   #21
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Android and apps sometimes have to be in main storage. Some apps can go to the SD card and others can't so whether you need more main storage depends on what sort of apps you'll have and how many.

Generally 16 gig is plenty of main storage for most people but personally I'd buy the 32 gig to avoid traps in the future.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #22
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post
Android and apps sometimes have to be in main storage. Some apps can go to the SD card and others can't so whether you need more main storage depends on what sort of apps you'll have and how many.

Generally 16 gig is plenty of main storage for most people but personally I'd buy the 32 gig to avoid traps in the future.

Barry
Zinio is one of those apps. Downloaded magazines can't be saved to the sd card and those files are large.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 11:51 PM   #23
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
Quote:
Originally Posted by barryem View Post

Barry
You are correct. In addition, the internal storage is much faster. I turned off the option to store apps on the SD Cars because it takes so much time on startup to check the sd-card, and those apps are unusable during that time. Pay the extra to get the 32
leebase is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:34 AM   #24
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Quote:
Zinio is one of those apps. Downloaded magazines can't be saved to the sd card and those files are large.
Yes, and it drives me nuts. I use Zinio quite a bit to read magazines from my library. Since the Fire added the option to store periodicals on the SD card, I keep an eye out for sales on Newsstand subscriptions to the ones I read regularly and just subscribe through Amazon.

It's certainly more convenient than managing storage space and constantly adding / removing mags from my Zinio library, not to mention the time spent on RBdigital getting them in the first place. And there aren't many that I read regularly, so it's only costing me about $20/yr and saving me a lot of hassle.
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 02:16 PM   #25
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCactus View Post
The new one 8HD has 16 gig memory upgradable to 256. Is that a total of 256 or additional? I do not see it is efficient to pay $20 more for the 32gig model. SD is cheap. Any thoughts?
Personal documents need to be in the main storage, they can't go on the SD card. I found that out last year with my HD8.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 10:13 PM   #26
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
So what's different about the HD 8? It looks like the same size so you won't need a new case. The only difference I see is that you can now have an SD card up to 256 instead of 200, and it weighs one ounce more.
The 6th gen HD8 has a gyroscope and the new one doesn't.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 01:03 PM   #27
jswinden
Nameless Being

You gotta love the marketing spin about a great HD screen with a million pixels. Yep, just another POS 1280 x 800 screen that was common several years ago but is way under pixelled in todays market. I treat the Fires like a do toilet paper--yes you can buy the cheap, single ply stuff for a fraction of the cost, but you are likely going to wind up with a hand full of poop at some point. Yes you can buy a cheap Fire tablet, but again, you are likely going to be holding a handful of poop. I think they might make good tablets for young children, as they can destroy an anvil with a banana peel, but not worth much for anyone else. Plus they run that horrible FireOS. They probably make good skeet shooting targets though.
Old 05-22-2017, 01:13 PM   #28
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
You gotta love the marketing spin about a great HD screen with a million pixels. Yep, just another POS 1280 x 800 screen that was common several years ago but is way under pixelled in todays market. I treat the Fires like a do toilet paper--yes you can buy the cheap, single ply stuff for a fraction of the cost, but you are likely going to wind up with a hand full of poop at some point. Yes you can buy a cheap Fire tablet, but again, you are likely going to be holding a handful of poop. I think they might make good tablets for young children, as they can destroy an anvil with a banana peel, but not worth much for anyone else. Plus they run that horrible FireOS. They probably make good skeet shooting targets though.
I guess you are a Scott man.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 PM   #29
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I was really hoping for a hardware update on the KFHD 10. I hope it's not an already dead product line.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote