Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-04-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: Nook Touch, Kindle Touch
Just brought home a kobo touch

Decided to try a kobo touch since I didn't like the shape or the build of the Nook STR. I really like the size and design of the Kobo, but so far am finding the library process a bit more cumbersome than what I'm used to.

I chose the black because I liked the softer feel rather than the hard plastic feel of the white front ones.

The touch interface works extremely well. Haven't read to much on it yet but was disappointed to see that the dictionary doesn't work on library books.
octoberdana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:26 PM   #2
baronrus
Addict
baronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with othersbaronrus plays well with others

Device: KO, KW, and KT
it will soon I think
baronrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:32 PM   #3
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Welcome, and enjoy your Kobo!
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:11 AM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
I chose the black because I liked the softer feel rather than the hard plastic feel of the white front ones.
Finally after weeks of indecision THIS comment has helped me decide what colour to buy!

I'm so excited! I only wish I had been able to choose the colour weeks ago so that I had my Touch already. Instead I now have to wait for it to be shipped half way around the world. If only I could have just brought one home...

That inconsiderate volcano had better co-operate!

Last edited by HarleyB; 07-05-2011 at 01:18 AM.
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Starts to sound like someone from North America should do a road trip with a suitcase full of Touches!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #6
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
... I now have to wait for it to be shipped half way around the world....
Welcome to the club
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:49 AM   #7
kiwipippa
Fanatic
kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwipippa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo glo, kobo touch (dead), kindle touch, android phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablejim View Post
Welcome to the club
Still not much progress portablejim!
kiwipippa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:08 AM   #8
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Starts to sound like someone from North America should do a road trip with a suitcase full of Touches!
What a great idea!

Thanks for adding me to the table Jim - I only ordered an hour ago so I'll let you know when I have a shipping date.
Sadly I do have to agree with Kiwi that there isn't really much progress being made. Hopefully this week will see a few more arrivals.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:18 AM   #9
portablejim
Enthusiast
portablejim has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Touch Black
I just switched clubs.
portablejim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 02:21 AM   #10
HarleyB
Fanatic

Oh WOW! That's exciting! Guess you're going to be busy for the next few hours playing with your new Touch. Have fun.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:21 AM   #11
octoberdana
Enthusiast
octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.octoberdana writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

So far what I like:
Very clean home screen
Love the form factor- perfect size and shape. Very comfortable to hold without a case.

What I don't like
Touch screen doesn't always respond on first tap- somewhat sluggish at times
Dictionary doesn't work with side loaded books
Lack of organization for library
Old 07-05-2011, 09:47 AM   #12
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by octoberdana View Post
What I don't like
Touch screen doesn't always respond on first tap- somewhat sluggish at times
Dictionary doesn't work with side loaded books
Lack of organization for library
1 - The only time I see it get sluggish is when I get into a new chapter of a kepub book, and then only if there's a lot of pages per chapter (Girl with the dragon tattoo and the rest of the millennium series were notorious for this). This was the same behavior in the wifi. In sideloaded books, I've found the device extremely responsive.

just as examples, I just flipped through 620 pages of a sideloaded book in about 6 minutes; it registered every tap, and there were no hesitations. I did dragon tattoo last night actually, and it took me about 20 minutes to flip through just over a thousand pages, with the main slowdown being chapter changes, which could be as long as 5 seconds. (I actually did read some of it, but I was testing testing page turns and responsiveness). Every tap registered, forwards and back.

2 - this is coming

3 - this would be nice, but there is work around. For most series of books, I'll add the name of the series to the title within Calibre. Then on the touch I can search for the series name and bring up just those books; works the same way as a list, in a little more convoluted way.

Last edited by Psyke; 07-05-2011 at 09:55 AM.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:36 AM   #13
octoberdana
Enthusiast

We tried side loading a PDF and an ePub last night and it froze up. Took several minutes for the device to turn off even sliding the power button.
Old 07-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #14
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Just picked mine up this afternoon... made the mistake of transferring my uSD (sans SD adapter) to the Touch and it's taking quite a while to update...

Never got my $10 store credit email yet either...
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 04:40 PM   #15
beautifulsoup
Addict
beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.beautifulsoup ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many ereaders.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cutterjohn42 View Post
Just picked mine up this afternoon... made the mistake of transferring my uSD (sans SD adapter) to the Touch and it's taking quite a while to update...

Never got my $10 store credit email yet either...
Check your Spam folder; it might have ended up there!

(Mine ended up in my Spam folder).
beautifulsoup is offline   Reply With Quote