Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-01-2009, 03:05 PM   #1
Zorz
Zealot
Zorz began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Reader capable of CHM files

I have a bunch of chm files id like to read, does any reader show these files properly?
Zorz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 03:11 PM   #2
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
PocketBook 360 does support chm files.

If you can, post the file or send me a link in a Private Message. I will have a look. I will try to make a few screenshots.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-01-2009, 03:24 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The Hanlin (V3 and V5) claim CHM support but in my experience it does not work.

FBReader (used in the PocketBooks) does support CHM fairly well, but its downside is that it reads the entire CHM file into memory on startup. Since CHM files tend to be large this can take a long time, and can hang the device if the file is too big. You can try FBReader's Desktop versions to see if its CHM interface is ok for you. However, a typical PC has much more main memory than any ebook Reader.

I would expect WinCE-based devices to perhaps support CHM, but I have not seen any reports one way or the other on the new iRiver Story (for example).

The multi-level Table of Contents that is such a strong feature of CHM is also available in ePub. However, so far as I know, there are no explicit CHM to ePub conversion tools available. In principle CHM -> HTML -> ePub should work, but I doubt it is acceptable in practice.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
iceberg
iceberg began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
chm -> html is not practical for most readers since a 5M chm uncompress is about 1-2G and is several thousand files, html->epub requires 1 html file as far as I know.

Currently for portable chm I use an ipod touch and ichm, it's the only viable thing I have as my cowon q5w as it's very heavy.

It would be so awesome if calibre or something would convert chm but chm to epub is a complicated task from a programming stand point.
iceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 07:54 AM   #5
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
I put FBReader in my iLiad v2 and it reads CHM files. I use it for some computer texts and it is also nice with the 8" screen.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 12:01 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by millydog View Post
I put FBReader in my iLiad v2 and it reads CHM files.
I should have mentioned that the iLiad and the DR1000S (and probably the DR800SG) can add FBReader as a 3rd party download. The OpenInkPot alternative firmware for the Hanlin V3 also uses FBReader, as does the Ectaco Jetbook (although I'm not sure if it supports CHM).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote