Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-06-2010, 03:07 PM   #1
anmend43
anmend43 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
Hack Wanted: K3 TTS Voice Change

Hello All,
Is there any word on any of you hackers out there working on a way to change the voice of the text-to-speech? I own a voice that I bought for $40 which will read text on the computer practically flawlessly(will go back and find where I got it if you want). Anyway, I was wondering if we could somehow upload and over-ride the built in voice to the kindle.
The screensaver hack was great, but this would help exponentially for myself as I have a learning disability and so hearing and reading at the same time I'm able to learn. Because the built in voice...well....could be better....

Also, if you would like to see this feature, please show the developers that you would like to see this by replying that it's something your interested in as well.

Last edited by anmend43; 10-06-2010 at 03:14 PM.
anmend43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 04:44 PM   #2
anmend43

My voice I bought was from Neospeech(SAPI, 16KHz, 64MB).
If anyone can make a hack for this I would greatly appreciate it. If it works I would be willing to send something like $75 or so to you via paypal.
72 people thus far have viewed this thread, which makes me believe there is interest in this. This can't be too difficult right? After all I seem to recall that at some point Kindle was going to be partnered with neospeech but put the crappy robotic voice after they complained about audio book sales...(not sure).. But I don't care if it's disabled on certain books because they complain, just for all my free gutenberg books and the ones that allow it....Makes no sense that amazon wouldn't think this is a feature that is wanted..

Last edited by anmend43; 10-06-2010 at 07:18 PM.
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
anmend43

ideas?
Old 10-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #4
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
I was sure I had already replied to this...

SAPI is a Microsoft technology. The Linux Kindle doesn't work with SAPI voices. The only thing that looks like it would make SAPI work on any kind of Linux is this: http://code.google.com/p/open-sapi/

But it requires WINE, which I don't think we will ever get on the Kindle. Also, if SAPI voices have any compiled code in them, then they won't ever work on the Kindle. It uses a different processor than a desktop computer.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
anmend43

Dang. Here's the response I got from NeoSpeech.
Dear User,

Thank you for your interest in Neospeech TTS.

Yes. Our TTS works on linux systems; however, it won't work on the
Amazon Kindle.

Please let me know if you are interested in any other products.

Best regards.

Not to descriptive... If anyone can think of a way or another voice creator that would work please post.
Advert
Old 10-08-2010, 07:19 PM   #6
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
See Kindle TTS: Would you use a different voice? which provides more information but no solution to getting another voice on the Kindle.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
anmend43

Yeah I read that thread. The user to tried to make some headway doesn't appear to be posting still...And there was no solution. And I don't like resurrecting ancient threads that went nowhere.
Old 10-17-2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Are you aware that the k3 has male and female voices?
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote