Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 07-24-2009, 05:25 AM   #256
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you honestly believe that Amazon should "give" people a $9.99 book (that's what the "legal" version costs) as a replacement for a $0.99 version that was uploaded in violation of copyright law? That sounds like a rather silly idea to me; it wasn't Amazon's "fault" that the infringing version was uploaded.
It was Amazon's fault to sell it. A seller should know what he's selling.

But I'm not sure that is the right approach. What if there are different legal versions of the book? Which one would be chosen? Why prefer one publisher over another? Maybe it would be better if Amazon just paid the copyright owners the amount they didn't get from the illegal ebooks sold...
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 08:57 AM   #257
griffonwing
Suave Swabby, Savvy?
griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.griffonwing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Slate Blue PEZ (Astak Pocket Pro), CVSCX-9300 Quad-band watch phone
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Do you honestly believe that Amazon should "give" people a $9.99 book (that's what the "legal" version costs) as a replacement for a $0.99 version that was uploaded in violation of copyright law? That sounds like a rather silly idea to me; it wasn't Amazon's "fault" that the infringing version was uploaded.
Oh, most certainly I do. It was their foolish reasoning to allow anyone to self-publish any book, without taking into consideration the fact that some could be illegal. If they do not have the proper procedured in place to make sure it doesn't happen, they should be stuck with the consequences.

Besides. A few dollars from Amazon for each Orwell book is not going to break their bank, and it would more than pay for itself in the positive publicity they would receive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
It was Amazon's fault to sell it. A seller should know what he's selling.

But I'm not sure that is the right approach. What if there are different legal versions of the book? Which one would be chosen? Why prefer one publisher over another? Maybe it would be better if Amazon just paid the copyright owners the amount they didn't get from the illegal ebooks sold...
I was under the assumption there was only one publisher. In the case more than one ebook option, then of course, they'd be given the choice. However, I would have assumed they'd give away their Kindle version before any other version.
griffonwing is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert