Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-28-2009, 07:50 PM   #31
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
But, the EZ Reader can use the firmware from the V3 and other clones. So it's not too much a problem in that regard.
I think it will be the problem for "average non-technical person" to change firmware
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 08:20 PM   #32
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris777 View Post
I think it will be the problem for "average non-technical person" to change firmware
You are probably correct on this issue. Any eBook reader that doesn't support a DRM format that is easy to get current eBooks is destined to fail.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-28-2009, 08:36 PM   #33
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
You are probably correct on this issue. Any eBook reader that doesn't support a DRM format that is easy to get current eBooks is destined to fail.
*cough* JetBook *cough*
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2009, 11:35 PM   #34
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
It will be correct to rephrase it this way:
Any eBook reader that doesn't support a DRM format will find many customers who doesn't care about books in DRM format because 500,000 books (this number from Sony-Google PR) available in DRM free formats.
Old 04-03-2009, 12:21 PM   #35
Jaie
Connoisseur
Jaie began at the beginning.

Device: JetBook, Aspire One Netbook (UMPC)
Does this mean that the already owned Jetbooks get to just add a file like they did with the upgrade for reading FB2? I was pretty happy when Gutenberg started offering other formats but since I can't use them on my own Jetbook, I've been using resized PDFs and FB2 or just text, but some of those history books I want for the illustrations.
Jaie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-03-2009, 12:23 PM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
So, did the promised 2nd April update actually appear?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:22 PM   #37
Jaie
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
So, did the promised 2nd April update actually appear?

Not on the Jetbook page anyhow. And no mention of it in the ecatco forums. I'd like to think it will though.
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Perhaps Ectaco and Bookeen are in a race to see who can release last.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 01:54 PM   #39
Jaie
Connoisseur

BOb, that may be a sad yet true thought. The biggest drawback to Jetbook that I see is the lack of product support. Some of the answer the techs give in the forums. Yikes. I get more help up here faster.
Old 04-03-2009, 02:24 PM   #40
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Just a couple of thoughts to add to this discussion regarding DRM.

1. I am not sure any ebook reader manufacturer should rely on MOBI as their DRM scheme at the moment. Amazon's decision to push Kindle Software to the iPod Touch/iPhone while holding up Mobi for the same seems to indicate that Amazon might be planning to phase out Mobi in favor of Kindle or at least might leave Mobi users with a more limited option of alternate reading devices from their dedicated readers.

2. The basic problem with DRM for epub is that it is not part of the standard. Sure you have Adobe DRM on the Sony, but their is no way to be sure that every DRMd epub book you buy is going to work on your device even if it does "support" epub DRM.

At the very least, until there is some standardization, I think it would be a mistake to support DRM without knowing which if any scheme is ultimately going to win.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #41
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
2. The basic problem with DRM for epub is that it is not part of the standard. Sure you have Adobe DRM on the Sony, but their is no way to be sure that every DRMd epub book you buy is going to work on your device even if it does "support" epub DRM.
That is something I've been thinking about. Supposedly Fictionwise/eReader is working on 'their version' of DRM for ePub. If that's the case things could get quite confusing for the general user. Unless there's some kind of behind the scenes interoperability that I haven't heard of.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2009, 11:20 PM   #42
ny10522
Enthusiast
ny10522 is on a distinguished road

Device: Jetbook, Kindle2, Kindle Touch 3G, Ipod Touch
Jetbook Supports Spanish-English Word Definitions

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlknack View Post
Will current Jetbooks be able to upgrade to the new software? Fry's has a sale on the Jetbook this week and I was wondering about buying one now or waiting until the next sale after Apr 2nd. (After much debate and analysis, I decided the Jetbook, on sale, is a good, reasonalbly priced replacement for my REB1100)
Called tech support on April 2. Update will not occur until the summer, maybe later. When it does, all jetbooks can upgrade.

I am currently learning Spanish and have a number of Spanish language books. I want to click on a word and get an immediate definition in a subwindow. Although the Kindle will do this, it does not currently support a default Spanish-English dictionary (it may in the future). The Jetbook has an included Spanish-English dictionary of about 200,000 words (according to tech support) and WILL give definitions in a subwindow via clicking on a word. There are limitations. No support for verb inflections in Spanish. If you click on an inflected verb, I assume, no definition. The dictionaries only support files in text format and the coming software upgrade will NOT change this.

With this information I ordered the jetbook for myself ($199 at Newegg.com) and the kindle2 for my wife on the same day. After using both for a few weeks I will report the comparisons. Based on what I have researched, the Jetbook and Irex Reader (very expensive, short battery life) probably do the best job of defining Spanish words to English. Although the Cybook can define words, you must buy a Spanish-English mobipocket dictionary. With the dictionary installed there are too many clicks involved to reasonably look up many words on a page. The dictionary on the Cybook only works with mobipocket books. I also have read that definitions open up in a page refresh on the Cybook which is another drawback.

Last edited by ny10522; 04-03-2009 at 11:30 PM.
ny10522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 02:14 AM   #43
Kris777
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaie View Post
Does this mean that the already owned Jetbooks get to just add a file like they did with the upgrade for reading FB2? I was pretty happy when Gutenberg started offering other formats but since I can't use them on my own Jetbook, I've been using resized PDFs and FB2 or just text, but some of those history books I want for the illustrations.
Yes, this is correct. It will be possible to upgrade firmware and read illustrated books in ePub format available on Gutenberg website.
Old 04-04-2009, 03:50 PM   #44
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
If you take a look at a lot of the top sellers it's romance sold to housewives. (emphasis added)

Wow, what best seller lists are you reading that includes "demographics" in their statistics?

I don't disagree with your comment that a lot of top sellers are romance novels. But given that the romance genre is responsible for something like 50% of the paperbook purchases in the US, I think you're insulting the genre by implying it's only read by housewives.

Do very many of those exist any more these days, anyway?
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 11:02 PM   #45
Kris777
Banned

I received information from Ectaco that updated jetBook firmware will be available for download on jetbook.net website begin of next week

Last edited by Kris777; 04-04-2009 at 11:06 PM.