Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 05-19-2016, 04:28 AM   #1
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Question show series info on Kindle

I thought I could do this without asking ;(

I found the template preference to change what gets sent to device, so I have filenames on the kindle looking like this:
Merrily Watkins 1 - Wine of Angels, The - Phil Rickman

but on the kindle's list of books it still just shows a two line entry
title
author.
e.g.
The Wine of Angels
Phil Rickman

So what have I not done, or is there no easy way to have what's in the file name appear in the kindle book listing. Do I have to somehow force the series info into the title ?

and can the KIndle not title sort properly for titles beginning with "The" ?
a for dummies guide would be most appreciated

I am setting up my wife's new kindle for a long trip, so she wants an obvious read order for any complete series that we side-load onto the kindle.
I'd rather not bother with collections, just get a suitable naming convennion to work, then she can sort alphabetically
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Filenames have no impact on titles. Titles are read from a book's metadata.

Yes, you add the series information into the book's title. You don't mention Calibre, but I'm guessing from your mention of "templates" that you are, perhaps, sending books to your Kindle using Calibre. You can add series information to the title automatically using a Calibre plugboard. Please ask in the Calibre forum for more information. This is what I do for all my books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 04:55 AM   #3
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
thanks _ I had not realised that calibre has 2 sets of plugboards/templates
so I needed to create a metadata plugboard, not a file name template.

so I set up ones for Azw3 and mobi, using this article as a guide
http://www.howtogeek.com/114063/how-...-ebook-series/

seems to be working, for calibre-> kindle via usb

the template I shamelessly copied from that article puts in the series numbers as #01, #02... can I lose the # and leading zeros easily and still have it work for anything that goes up to 11 , or does removing the leading zero break the kindle's sort order, for an 11 book series
I don't fully understand the syntax below, & how that # gets to be at the front of the 2 digit number.

I did send a stand-alone non-series book as a test and that's fine, for that I see title and author only which is how I want it.
{series}{series_index:0>2s| #| – }{title}

i guess that to do this outside of calibre e.g. via the send-to-kindle email the book as a document option, I do have to edit the book title before emailing it . I doubt I will ever need to do that though.

PS if you want to move the whole thread to calibre forum, that's fine. I don't want to double post.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 04:59 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Leading zeros are required for correct sorting, but you can certainly lose the "#".

If you want to email a book to the Kindle, just do a "save to disk" from within Calibre. That will, I believe, also apply the metadata plugboard prior to saving it.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
PS if you want to move the whole thread to calibre forum, that's fine. I don't want to double post.
Done.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
the template I shamelessly copied from that article puts in the series numbers as #01, #02... can I lose the # and leading zeros easily and still have it work for anything that goes up to 11 , or does removing the leading zero break the kindle's sort order, for an 11 book series
I don't fully understand the syntax below, & how that # gets to be at the front of the 2 digit number.

I did send a stand-alone non-series book as a test and that's fine, for that I see title and author only which is how I want it.
{series}{series_index:0>2s| #| – }{title}
See http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/template_lang.html for the documentation on writing templates... but the tl;dr is that the | #| will prefix the series_index with a "#" and the :0>2s| will pad the number itself with zeros -- something which is required for proper sort ordering.

The article actually shows three variations on the template, the third one will use "[01]: instead of "#01" which I personally think is nicer. )

Code:
{series}{series_index:0>2s| [|] }{title}
i guess that to do this outside of calibre e.g. via the send-to-kindle email the book as a document option, I do have to edit the book title before emailing it . I doubt I will ever need to do that though.[/QUOTE]

Plugboards will specify which formats and devices they work for if you use "any device" then it will include the send-to-email "device" as a destination target, which means the plugboard will automatically apply there as well.
Assuming you use calibre's send-to-email feature instead of Amazon's send-to-Kindle desktop app.
Old 05-19-2016, 11:15 AM   #7
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Kindle standard (field only) Metadata is inside the book, so you must use the plugboard, not the 'file' save templates

Will that survive e-mail to your Kindle (I Side load)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:36 AM   #8
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the new Kindle Basic (just came out earlier this week), am side loading my books from Calibre to Kindle via USB, and have a Calibre Metadata plugboard created for showing series title - series number - book title, using the {series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}, with Title as the destination field. I'm using "any format" and "Kindle2" for format & device. Yet what shows up on my Kindle is

01 - Book Title
Author

Can someone show me the error of my ways? Why am I not able to see the series Title?

Thanks much.
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 08:58 AM   #9
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 93terp View Post
Can't quite figure out what I'm doing wrong. I have the new Kindle Basic (just came out earlier this week), am side loading my books from Calibre to Kindle via USB, and have a Calibre Metadata plugboard created for showing series title - series number - book title, using the {series}{series_index:0>2s| – | – }{title}, with Title as the destination field. I'm using "any format" and "Kindle2" for format & device. Yet what shows up on my Kindle is

01 - Book Title
Author

Can someone show me the error of my ways? Why am I not able to see the series Title?

Thanks much.
Nevermind! Figured it out by deleting the original copies of the books from the Kindle and resending; not sure why that made the difference since I had metadata management set to Automatic...
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2016, 11:34 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Err, because metadata management is only for certain supported devices, which basically means Kobos, and has never ever included Kindles?

You have always had to resend the book to get it changed in the book itself, and the Kindle relies on the ebook internal metadata.

With the Kobo, calibre can fudge the database where that information is cached, which essentially tricks the Kobo into thinking the metadata has been changed (although the books themselves remain unmodified).