Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-01-2013, 09:21 PM   #211
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by HansTWN View Post
They are sitting on a potential gold mine -- and all they have to do is get the word out somehow? And then it happens....
So why wouldn't they actually have enough books in print to meet the demand from the results of their underhanded release of the author's real name... people spend way too much time and effort on conspiracies but if that floats your boat...
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2013, 09:47 PM   #212
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
So why wouldn't they actually have enough books in print to meet the demand from the results of their underhanded release of the author's real name...
That is a good point. Not that it matters for ebooks, though. Keep forgetting that paper still exists.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 03:20 AM   #213
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Hans,

As far as I can see, there is not one shred of evidence to support your suggestion of a conspiracy theory, but a great deal of evidence to back up the view that this was simply a case of a solicitor who couldn't keep his mouth shut.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:35 AM   #214
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Hans,

As far as I can see, there is not one shred of evidence to support your suggestion of a conspiracy theory, but a great deal of evidence to back up the view that this was simply a case of a solicitor who couldn't keep his mouth shut.
There is no real evidence either way, but like in any investigation, you look for the strongest motive first. I never said that this line of thinking shows what really happened, but the publishers were the ones with most to gain.

Last edited by HansTWN; 08-02-2013 at 04:17 AM.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:12 AM   #215
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
There is no real evidence either way, but like in any investigation, you look for the strongest motive first. I never said that this line of thinking should what really happened, but the publishers were the ones with most to gain.
Of course there is evidence for one version and not the other.

Why do you think that you look for the strongest motive first? Is that from crime novels or from reality?
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-02-2013, 04:42 AM   #216
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
There is no real evidence either way, but like in any investigation, you look for the strongest motive first.
There is real evidence one way, the people concerned have admitted what has happened.
There is no evidence the other way.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 05:07 AM   #217
HansTWN
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
There is real evidence one way, the people concerned have admitted what has happened.
There is no evidence the other way.
So we trust the statement from the lawyers? What is this world coming to? Anyway, I am not arguing, just thinking out loud. The publishers were the only ones with a strong motive. If we accept that Rowling doesn't care about making more money from this.
Old 08-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #218
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
So we trust the statement from the lawyers? What is this world coming to? Anyway, I am not arguing, just thinking out loud. The publishers were the only ones with a strong motive. If we accept that Rowling doesn't care about making more money from this.
The statement was clearly against interest, which makes it more believable. It fits with who actually leaked the story. Exactly how much money do you think is going to be made by this book, that the publishers could afford to bribe a senior lawyer enough to publicly admit that he betrayed a client's confidence?
You seem determined to continue to believe what you want to though, so go ahead.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #219
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Quote:
There is no real evidence either way, but like in any investigation, you look for the strongest motive first.
According to Cormoran Strike (or was it another character in the book?), that's what amateurs do. Being an amateur myself, I can't say whether he's right
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:52 AM   #220
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
Quote:
I am not saying my scenario is correct, but it seems unlikely that there was no plan here. Perhaps the publisher only agreed to take the book in the first place on the understanding that it was leaked at some point in time? But this leak seems too convenient.
It was very much not a timely leak - booksellers were completely unprepared for the extra demand.

The sales would have come when the pseudonym was eventually revealed whenever that happened to be. There was no great need for it to be so soon.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #221
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
The publishers were the only ones with a strong motive.
Not the only one. All the damages and royalties are going to The Soldiers' Charity.
Quote:
She said she had "always intended" to give the charity "a donation out of Robert's royalties" but "had not anticipated him making the bestseller list a mere three months after publication".
Don't forget that they helped her in her research, so someone here must have known she was writing a book

[Just kidding, of course, I truly respect all the people fighting for our safety whether local or global]
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 12:53 PM   #222
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I couldn't even finish the book it was so slow. She is too descriptive in this book that it takes forever for the book to move along.

I should have read the 1 and 2 star reviews on amazon before getting it they have it right.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:03 PM   #223
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by laughingdragons View Post
I couldn't even finish the book it was so slow. She is too descriptive in this book that it takes forever for the book to move along.

I should have read the 1 and 2 star reviews on amazon before getting it they have it right.
In other words, it's not to your tastes. Mystery novels tend to be slow and heavy on description. When they're not, frankly, they get tossed down into the Thriller category.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:07 PM   #224
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveEisenberg View Post
According to Cormoran Strike (or was it another character in the book?), that's what amateurs do. Being an amateur myself, I can't say whether he's right
A murder investigator knows that motive is not really important. Lots of innocent people might have motive, and the killer might be a psycho with no motive at all. Motive it might provide some leads, and it's nice to show a jury, but it's not needed to convict at all.

In a business or fraud matter, however, "follow the money" is nearly a sure bet, so in that sense, money motive is key.

But in this case, if you follow the money, it may be leading in the wrong direction.

ApK
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 03:52 PM   #225
AHMavrick
Enthusiast
AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'AHMavrick knows the difference between 'who' and 'whom'

Device: none
I am not a fan of mystery or murder novels, just not my "thing". I also am not a devotee of her name and main money making books the Potter series but I did like the movies. I absolutely don't have a problem with her using a pseudonym to publis something outside of her established genre. I do take offense to the bio she faked, claiming a military background she did not earn. We have enough fakes and phonies claiming to be some super hero veteran and defrauding folks while doing so. Her doing the same thing just adds credibility to the fraudulent practice. That is my sole objection to the issue.
AHMavrick is offline   Reply With Quote