Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 07-12-2012, 02:56 PM   #1
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Tor store and DRM free

I've been waiting anxiously for this going live since it was announced. Does anyone have any updates that they have seen?
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:14 PM   #2
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Welcome to MobileRead Michael!

No news yet and I'm also anticipating the latest developments. Do you think your publisher Orbit will be selling books through them? (Or how about your short stories?)
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-13-2012, 01:40 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
This is not "News". Moved to "General Discussions".
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:51 AM   #4
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
They've got a store link up, but that only says "Coming Summer 2012".
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:07 PM   #5
MichaelSullivan
Enthusiast
MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MichaelSullivan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlesatan View Post
Welcome to MobileRead Michael!

No news yet and I'm also anticipating the latest developments. Do you think your publisher Orbit will be selling books through them? (Or how about your short stories?)
Thanks for the welcome!

I kinda thought it was only for titles produced by Tor...is that not so? If they allow others to sell through there (like Amazon or B&N) then I will definitely put any titles that I have control of on that platform as I am a big supporter of non DRM.

As to Orbit, I have no idea what their strategy is...but like many imprints that are run by big-six they will probably have to do what corporate says, and I think those at the highest ranks of such organizations still feel that DRM helps protect them. Perhaps if Tor is hugely successful it will start to change minds, but initially I don't anticipate they would hop on the bandwagon.
MichaelSullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 10:43 PM   #6
charlesatan
Addict
charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charlesatan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelSullivan View Post
Thanks for the welcome!

I kinda thought it was only for titles produced by Tor...is that not so? If they allow others to sell through there (like Amazon or B&N) then I will definitely put any titles that I have control of on that platform as I am a big supporter of non DRM.

As to Orbit, I have no idea what their strategy is...but like many imprints that are run by big-six they will probably have to do what corporate says, and I think those at the highest ranks of such organizations still feel that DRM helps protect them. Perhaps if Tor is hugely successful it will start to change minds, but initially I don't anticipate they would hop on the bandwagon.
I think it depends on their plans.

It's not the first time that they released an eBook Store (they launched one shortly after the release of Tor.com and *I think* they were open to other publishers). (Original announcement in 2009 is at http://www.tor.com/blogs/2009/06/ann...-the-tor-store although the store's not working anymore.)

But then again, some of the staff from that project might have moved on, so not sure either.
charlesatan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2012, 04:11 AM   #7
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On Twitter Tor.com said that their e-book store should be live "later this Summer", but that the DRM-free ebooks should be available from all popular ebook sellers by the end of July.
Old 07-17-2012, 10:00 AM   #8
KenFisher
Connoisseur
KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.KenFisher composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Vox, iPad
I have already noticed that some of the books recently released by Tor are showing up on the Kobo website as DRM free.

Ken
KenFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2012, 11:30 AM   #9
Crusader
Space Cadet

They've posted the following on Tor.com and on Twitter proclaimed that their ebooks are now DRM-free

Quote:
Tor/Forge E-Books Are Now DRM-Free
Tom Doherty Associates, publishers of Tor and Forge, is pleased to announce that all of their ebooks are now available DRM-free from Amazon, B&N, Apple, Kobo, Google, and most other major ebook retailers.

“It’s clear to us that this is what our customers want,” said senior editor Patrick Nielsen Hayden. “We see it in the success of SF publishers like Baen and Angry Robot that have preceded us in going DRM-free. To the best of our knowledge we’re the first division of a Big Six publishing conglomerate to go down this road, but we doubt very much that we’ll be the last.”

The new DRM-free editions are available from the same retailers that have sold Tor e-books in the past. In addition, the company expects to begin selling titles through retailers that sell only DRM-free books.

About Tor and Forge Books

Tor Books, an imprint of Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, is a New York-based publisher of hardcover and softcover books, founded in 1980 and committed (although not limited) to arguably the largest and most diverse line of science fiction and fantasy ever produced by a single English-language publisher. Tom Doherty Associates, LLC, is also the home of award-winning Forge Books, founded in 1993 and committed (although not limited) to thrillers, mysteries, historical fiction and general fiction. Together, the imprints garnered 30 New York Times bestsellers in 2011.
Their own ebook store is still a work in progress.
Old 08-11-2012, 10:14 AM   #10
KenJackson
Addict
KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!KenJackson goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Sony PRS-650
This is really bizarre.

A few months ago, I clicked a link about DRM that got redirected from tor.com to a Tor Forge page at macmillan.com that says, as others have noted, "by early July 2012, their entire list of e-books will be available DRM-free."

Excellent! I thought. So I've been checking that page every week since, waiting for the follow-up announcement celebrating that they've done it. It's still not there.

I checked in here to see if anyone knows anything about their cold feet, and now I see Crusader's link back to tor.com. If they want to sell books, I wonder why they misdirected me to a page that they aren't updating.

At any rate, I'm very, very pleased about this step in the right direction. DRM is not only evil, it's a colossal hassle.
KenJackson is offline   Reply With Quote