Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-15-2011, 08:23 PM   #1
bronty
bronty began at the beginning.

Device: iPad 2
Creating a book from 1000+ individual docs

Hi -

I have over 1000 interviews I'd like to combine into one large ebook. Currently, they are each saved separately as Word documents. I found a program (macro) that will join the files together in Word, and I can convert to ePub (or whatever format) from there.

Where I am a bit stuck is creating a linked table of contents automatically. Each entry in the table of contents should be a clickable link to the respective interview. It can be a simple list of numbers (and I can add a static key to the page). Ideally, I could extract the first line of each document as an entry in the table of contents. That would make the links more descriptive. In any case, I want the TOC to be created automatically (rather than my linking all 1000+ interviews by hand).

Any suggestions?

Thank You
bronty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't know how easy this is to use with 1000+ file to add to the ToC, but give the following a try...

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=117809

Oh and since you are using Word, you'll have a hell of a job cleaning the crap that Word puts in for 1000+ files. Good luck.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 08:11 PM   #3
bronty

Thanks very much for th link. I will try it.

Another idea, I can batch convert the Word docs to txt, then convert each to a separate ePub. Then, perhaps a program can join the 1000 ePubs into one big ePub with TOC?
Old 06-16-2011, 08:34 PM   #4
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Uhmm, no. This has been discussed recently, and there aren't any programs to combine epub files cleanly.

If you have a header for each interview, perhaps Word will create a usable TOC. I haven't tried using a Word-created TOC, though.

I think if you have Word output a 'filtered html' file and then run it through HTML-tidy with the appropriate options, you can get a (set of) fairly clean html file(s) to convert to epub. It does take some hand editing with regexes, as I recall.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:13 AM   #5
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
Since you have macro to combine those doc, you can also use macro to split them with section breaks, then try ePub Maker(click my signature), which will convert your doc into epub, and create TOC on split chapters(interviews) automatically.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-20-2011, 12:22 AM   #6
eping
ePub Maker
eping began at the beginning.

Device: iPad,Kindle 3, Nook 2
1000+?
Sorry, I made a mistake. I thought it's 100+
a TOC of 1000+ items, can it show properly and be browsed conveniently?
And can eReader handle such a big book with huge TOC?
Does anyone have any idea or test on this?

ePub Maker limits TOC size under 255 items.
eping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 11:21 AM   #7
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Seems like bronty needs to do a little editing work. Even in paper, this would be a daunting task to use, with a TOC taking 20-30 pages.

Perhaps a little organization by subject or time or something so that you can at least create sections. Or just break up the thing into several books based on some sort of common idea.

The small screen of most e-readers will create endless paging through the TOC.

There is a program, merger, available on the web, which can combine html files.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 12:15 PM   #8
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
I would suggest that more grouping of 1000 interviews is needed. Perhaps by theme or something? 1000 individual interviews would be too hard to navigate. How would you know which ones you might be interested in reading?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 12:16 AM   #9
bronty

Thanks for all the responses. I can easily split up the toc into years, that way it will be easier to navigate.

I managed to find a reference file, and to make a long story short, I now (almost) have an html document that is a full listing of all 1535 files, their title, and a link to the file itself.

The files are .doc but I can batch convert them to .html

Here's the question (s)

- Can I make my HTML reference file into a TOC? I can break it down into multiple TOCs by year / category easily and have multiple TOCs. That would be ideal in fact.

- Can I load my multiple HTML files into an ePub maker for it to convert them into one big eBook?

- When I convert the .doc to .html I notice that the HTML file contains the font size and font and bold typeface across the entire document (as in the original). Can I change this in an ePub maker?

THANKS!