Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-21-2011, 05:27 AM   #1
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Cancelling after download?

I thought I'd clicked Sample but it must have been Buy or Download, so I've now contacted Amazon who have promptly arranged for a refund. But I also read:

"You can also cancel accidental purchases yourself for a short time after the order is placed. Simply select the "Purchased by Accident? Cancel this Order" option on the order confirmation page displayed on your Kindle."

Yet unless I'm missing something that is not possible once the download has occurred? In this case it was almost immediately downloaded, after I had presumably missed the message offering cancellation. Or is there some way to get to this 'order confirmation page' after the download?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:14 PM   #2
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
You can cancel it immediately after purchase if you purchased the book on the Kindle. If you purchase via the website, you cannot cancel the purchase.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #3
terrypin
Connoisseur
terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.terrypin writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: iPAQ 2210 PPC
Thanks. By 'immediately' do you mean only before it finishes downloading?

--
Terry, East Grinstead, UK
terrypin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 02:29 PM   #4
markdek
Addict
markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markdek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
I've called amazon many times to cancel...just call em; within a reasonable time frame
markdek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 03:15 PM   #5
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The screen with the "cancel" option only comes up when you click "Buy" on the Kindle. If you click on the cancel option then, you can cancel the purchase.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-21-2011, 03:30 PM   #6
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
I've done the buy instead of sample a few times.
I've turn off one click ordering to keep it from happening.
I emailed Kindle Customer Service and got a refund last time within an hour.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:36 PM   #7
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Turning off one-click does not work for Kindle purchases.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 04:55 PM   #8
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry I should of been more clear. After turning 1 click buying off. I removed the card from the Manage Kindle page then readded it to my AM account. Now it asks me each time but I do not buy from my Kindle just Amazon's site.
Old 06-21-2011, 05:32 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Now it asks me each time but I do not buy from my Kindle just Amazon's site.
That's how I do it too. I think I bought one book from my Kindle after I got it just to prove that it worked. I'm not wasting my battery browsing for books on 6" screen.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:19 PM   #10
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sorry I should of been more clear. After turning 1 click buying off. I removed the card from the Manage Kindle page then readded it to my AM account. Now it asks me each time but I do not buy from my Kindle just Amazon's site.
I was thinking of doing something like this, but am not quite sure how to do it. Could you be a bit more specific about how you did this? You take it off the manage kindle page on the kindle or on the Amazon website? Then it is re-added to what?

Thanks!
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 04:29 PM   #11
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by shibamistress View Post
I was thinking of doing something like this, but am not quite sure how to do it. Could you be a bit more specific about how you did this? You take it off the manage kindle page on the kindle or on the Amazon website? Then it is re-added to what?

Thanks!

I just deleted it from Amazon's payment page then later bought a Kindle book and had to reenter it. This time I didn't set it as my default card on Manage Kindle page. There is no card assigned there.
As long as you have 1 click buying off and no Credit Card designated on your Manage Kindle page when you go to buy a book it should take you to the pick your payment page before buying a Kindle book.

You wont be able to buy from your Kindle this way but it will keep you from making accidental purchases on the actual site.
Old 06-22-2011, 04:42 PM   #12
shibamistress
Groupie
shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shibamistress ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KSO (3G), Nook Color, android apps
Thanks! That's helpful. I've already accidently bought things, but I was able to quickly cancel them.
shibamistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 10:15 AM   #13
Alissa
Connoisseur
Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alissa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 + Story HD + Kobo Touch
Amazon.com clearly states (see the original text here) as follows:
Quote:
Any content you purchase for Kindle from the Kindle Store is eligible for return and refund if we receive your request within 7 days of the date of purchase.
This is great. Knowing it keeps myself off from worries about wrong purchase. This return process works for contents bought both on Kindle device and on PC (web browser.)

For the original question, I believe the "cancel" button is only shown immediately after "buy" in a content on a Kindle, and once we go to other screen (say HOME), we can't see the cancel button again. However, I don't think the timing depends on the completion of the download.

I belive I too saw the same "You can also cancel accidental purchases..." stentense when I manually returned. I guess the customer service people always copy-n-paste it when processing manual returns.
Alissa is offline   Reply With Quote