Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 08-05-2011, 03:38 PM   #1
bcamp47
bcamp47 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Moving Entire calibre Installation to a different computer

Since I started with eBooks I have had my entire calibre installation, including library on my laptop. This is convenient, however it is also short-sighted. If the laptop sleeps I miss scheduled news fetching, for example, and I am unable to connect, obviously, to the content server from my android cell--which is inconvenient. The solution was right in front of my face. I have an always-on/always-connected desktop computer (Vista-32 unfortunately). It would be sensible to move the entire calibre installation to the desktop. Question is, what's the best way to do this? I'd like to keep all my settings, etc. from the original installation on the laptop so that there would be no discernible difference between the new and old installations. Thoughts?

(I did see the FAQ referenced by this post but is doesn't mention how to keep the settings/customizations.)

Last edited by bcamp47; 08-05-2011 at 03:50 PM.
bcamp47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....ter-to-another

Moving settings is not so straightforward go to preferences->misc and open the configuration directory. Copy files from there to the new computers calibre config directory. This is not really supported, so it may or may not work.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-05-2011, 03:52 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcamp47 View Post
Since I started with eBooks I have had my entire calibre installation, including library on my laptop. This is convenient, however it is also short-sighted. If the laptop sleeps I miss scheduled news fetching, for example, and I am unable to connect, obviously, to the content server from my android cell--which is inconvenient. The solution was right in front of my face. I have an always-on/always-connected desktop computer (Vista-32 unfortunately). It would be sensible to move the entire calibre installation to the desktop. Question is, what's the best way to do this? I'd like to keep all my settings, etc. from the original installation on the laptop so that there would be no discernible difference between the new and old installations. Thoughts?
This is best done working with the same revision of Calibre in both places

Just treat it like a backup with a restore on the new computer .

http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq.html#id50 do (make a copy) both

Install Calibre on your new computer.
remember the name of the Library folder.
Locate the settings folder (Preferences: Miscellaneous: (click the button) writer the location down.

Now Exit Calibre.
Your are going to copy the CONTENTS of the (backup) Library folder into the New library folder.
You are going to copy the settings overwriting those that are there.

Start Calibre.
Extra user-plugins will probably need to be re-installed.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2011, 07:02 PM   #4
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I have done it exactly as theducks describes on numerous occasions with no problems.
Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
bcamp47
bcamp47 began at the beginning.

Device: nook
Thought I'd get back with my experience:

- Copied the entire folder tree from \calibre library to the new computer.
- Installed the same version of calibre on the new computer, pointing to the new copy of the library. Used calibre preferences|advanced|miscellaneous to note the path to the calibre configuration directory.
- Shut down calibre on the new computer and checked windows task manager to verify that all calibre threads had terminated.
-copied everything from the configuration of the original copy of calibre to the new configuration location.
-restarted the new installation (library appeared empty because the path was now from the old installation).
-reran the welcome wizard from preferences and pointed to the correct library location.

This was done four days ago and everything has been working perfectly, including plugns, content server, news scheduling, etc.
bcamp47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert