Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 12-31-2010, 04:44 PM   #1
janeb
janeb began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3G
Thinking of buying an e reader

Hello all
I am thinking of buying an e reader and with all the usual apologies for repeating questions that I'm sure have been well and truly discussed, my major decision will be based on the 'free' download capability of the Kindle 3g in Brisbane Australia and the availability of books in Australia. I've been looking at the Kindle library and it seems extensive, but have read a few posts indicating that not all books are available in Australia. In addition, as I live in a tower, I have expensive and patchy wi-fi at home and so don't want to be using it for book downloads.
So 1) can I really download without using my own wifi; 2) if a book appears in the Kindle library, can I assume that I can get it; and 3) just as an aside, can I transfer my iPod audio books to my Kindle (or whichever one I choose) so that I can take just one gadget with me when I travel?
I think that's all the questions that I have for now. I'm grateful for any advice (not too high-tech please!) and again my apologies for any repeated questions. I really have been searching so many sites for information that I am a little confused and just wanted some simple and direct answers. I suppose that I should add that I assume when the Kindle 3G is advertised as around $180 that there are no extra/hidden charges - given that the Aussie dollar is just over parity at present. Thanks in anticipation of your help
JaneB
janeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 04:46 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi JaneB and welcome to MobileRead. If you don't get answers top your questions here, try posting them in the Kindle forum
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2010, 09:27 PM   #3
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 09:41 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, janeb.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2011, 06:42 PM   #5
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Welcome! I'd go to the "which one should I buy" sub forum to do some searching and then ask additional questions of your own to determine which ereader might be best for you.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Jane. I'd suggest popping into the Kindle-dedicated forums and posting there for one of our experienced Kindle pals in Oz. Have you taken a look at the new Australian Kogan reader, by the way? I got one for a friend in Adelaide last year and she's delighted with it. Much more flexible than the Kindle, she says, with much wider access to contemporary work, free classic downloads and libraries. Remember that with Kindle, you're stuck with the single Mobi format. Good luck. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 05:39 AM   #7
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote