Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-06-2013, 12:13 PM   #1
beluga
beluga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle 3
Question Kobo from Indie Bookstore - New Account a Must?

I had tried earlier Kobos and felt underwhelmed by hardware and software, but I thought I give the Kobo Glo a try because I like the idea of an e-book source that offers an alternative to a single dominant supplier.

Could someone give me a definite answer to the question whether a Kobo bought from an ABA Indie bookseller (Books Inc in the Bay Area) will require a new account?

I bought my various Kobos from Borders and in Canada and have absolutely no problem letting Indie booksellers have a cut of the action.
In fact, it may be a small way to ensure that they survive, which is good.

But as I spend most of my time overseas (hence Nook would be a non-starter), I would rather avoid having to establish a new Kobo account just to load books on a new Kobo Glo and can image all sort of synchronization problems between two Kobo accounts and my other (iPad, MacBook, iPhone, Kobo Touch) readers.

Powells in Portland, OR don't mention anything, but Books Inc in the Bay Area do. I am happy to let Books Inc keep part of the proceeds from e-book sales as long as it does not involve any hassles, but a new Kobo account would be rather inconvenient.

So would anyone know for sure whether a new account is a must?

You input is much appreciated....

B.
beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 01:15 PM   #2
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by beluga View Post

So would anyone know for sure whether a new account is a must?

You input is much appreciated....

B.
As far as I know, you can use the same account for all your Kobo ereaders (physical or application).

Regards,
David
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM   #3
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Functionally the old account will work fine, but to ensure the indie bookstore gets a cut I believe the consensus (but not a firm answer) was that you would need a new account.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 03:59 PM   #4
beluga
beluga began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kindle 3
This is the quote from the Books Inc website that started the inquiry:

"Setting Up Your Kobo Account
1. If you buy a Kobo device from Books Inc., our affiliate ID is hardcoded into the device and the account you open with that device is linked to www.booksinc.net.

2. If have an existing Kobo account and enter that account through www.booksinc.net, please open a new account – your old account is not linked to Books Inc. You need to open a new account when entering through our website.
If you do not see the Books Inc. sun in the Kobo portion of the website, you are not in our affiliate.
3. If you have two Kobo accounts (a previous account and one you open through us) you do not lose books – you just see only the books you bought on each account."

I did not note a similar passage from Powells.com
beluga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 01:51 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by beluga View Post
This is the quote from the Books Inc website that started the inquiry:

3. If you have two Kobo accounts (a previous account and one you open through us) you do not lose books – you just see only the books you bought on each account."
I wonder if Kobo help can merge the two accounts so that you don't need to switch back and forth to see all your books...
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
aba, account, indie bookseller, kobo ereader