Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-27-2012, 10:31 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kumabjorn View Post
Nice catch, thanks.
Think the deal on Agency pricing will result in lower prices for Parker?
I hope so. Lower prices are always good. One thing you could try is to see if you can get the first book from your library in paper and see if you like it. Mind you, it is a bit rough being the first in the series.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2012, 11:07 PM   #17
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I hope so. Lower prices are always good. One thing you could try is to see if you can get the first book from your library in paper and see if you like it. Mind you, it is a bit rough being the first in the series.
Wouldn't want to read him in translation anyway. Swedish libraries = books in Swedish. I can live with the $8, but I was thinking that it should be possible to get some decent pricing on the omnibus tomes. My TBR is fairly long so I have the patience.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #18
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Yeah, I think they would be best in Parker's native tongue since the dialogue and repartee' between his characters are the best parts. The mysteries are just the background to the peoples' interaction.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 07:24 PM   #19
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Robert B. Parker's Spenser series can all be read stand alone. No spoilers etc.

I read the Godwulf manuscript 3 years ago after reading numerous Spenser books and I am sure I enjoyed it more because I had read the others.

If you have an opportunity to get later books at a good price, I would do it. They will certainly not ruin your experience in reading the earlier books at a later time.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 09:16 PM   #20
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
A Catskill Eagle is my favorite. It is number 12 in the series.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #21
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
The newest Spencer, Wonderland by Ace Atkins is set to be released May 7, 2013.
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-B-Parke...SIN=0399161570
Also the newest Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch novel by Robert Knott is due to be released on January 8, 2013.
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-B-Parke..._bxgy_b_text_y
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:06 PM   #22
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Robert B. Parker's Spenser series can all be read stand alone. No spoilers etc.

I read the Godwulf manuscript 3 years ago after reading numerous Spenser books and I am sure I enjoyed it more because I had read the others.

If you have an opportunity to get later books at a good price, I would do it. They will certainly not ruin your experience in reading the earlier books at a later time.

Helen
I find the Spenser series to be better read in order as you watch the characters develop and the writing get better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2012, 09:22 PM   #23
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
The newest Spencer, Wonderland by Ace Atkins is set to be released May 7, 2013.
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-B-Parke...SIN=0399161570
Also the newest Virgil Cole and Everett Hitch novel by Robert Knott is due to be released on January 8, 2013.
http://www.amazon.com/Robert-B-Parke..._bxgy_b_text_y
Apache
That is good. I enjoyed the Michael Brandman Jesse Stone novel Fool Me Twice.

Helen

Oops was Killing the Blues not fool me twice

Last edited by speakingtohe; 11-29-2012 at 10:13 PM.
Old 11-29-2012, 10:12 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find the Spenser series to be better read in order as you watch the characters develop and the writing get better.
I read them in order now when filling in the blanks. (because I can)

My point was that they can be read in any order if the first is not available or affordable and that any Spenser novel should give you a good idea as to the rest.

You are more observant than I am in the character development area. Over the 37 years of the series the main characters did not change much IMO. Some minor characters changed a bit, and circumstances changed, but overall I don't see much in depth development.

Maybe that is something I love about Robert B. Parker, you pretty well know what you are going to get.

Helen
Old 11-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #25
HoopyFrood
Zealot
HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HoopyFrood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cruz e-reader, 2 Kindles and a Kindle DX, Sanza Clip
Atkins really does a pretty good job, but it just misses the mark and I can't really put my finger on the issue. I think part of it was that the book was too long. Parker kept his books short, terse might be a better way of describing it. Atkins is a bit more verbose. Lots of white in a hardcover Spenser novel.
HoopyFrood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM   #26
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Promised Land is $2.99 at Amazon this month. It's the fourth Spenser novel.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:41 AM   #27
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
One of my all time favorite authors, I love the Spenser books. I've read them many times over. Some of them are real standouts in the series, Looking for Rachel Wallace, Catskill Eagle and Sixkill come to mind immediately. He is a classic.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 10:42 AM   #28
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoopyFrood View Post
Atkins really does a pretty good job, but it just misses the mark and I can't really put my finger on the issue. I think part of it was that the book was too long. Parker kept his books short, terse might be a better way of describing it. Atkins is a bit more verbose. Lots of white in a hardcover Spenser novel.
Agreed. He has Spenser down fairly well, though a little off but I will never forgive his portrayal of Hawk.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote