Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-30-2012, 04:24 PM   #31
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Thank you oj829, that is exactly why I've avoided it so far and why my comment initially in this thread.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #32
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@Cfrizz Do remember thought that if you DO buy new material that is DRM protected it might well be safer to have done the ADE registration now so that when ADE does the download it is done to your ID rather than to an anonymous, temporary computer registration.
Yeah. Been there, done that. "No need to autorize ade, i just need to open an ePub."
I had forgotten about not autorizing ade when i bought a books days later...

And if you have the two version running, be careful windows won't open ascm files with the un-autorized one...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 04:38 PM   #33
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by oj829 View Post
Things seemed to go smoothly. I was asked if I wanted to transfer existing 1.72 books (I did not)
Which is probably why...

Quote:
However, every graphic (book covers, interface buttons, etc.) was scrambled. Tried to open a newly downloaded library book, and the contents were also scrambled.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 05:12 PM   #34
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I think I'm not going to update until I absolutely have to. I hate ADE, and use it only rarely anyway.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 02:29 AM   #35
oj829
Groupie
oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.oj829 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Kobo Arc(32GB), Kobo Arc 7HD, Kobo Glo HD,NookHD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Which is probably why...
I don't think so. I don't actually "have" books in my ADE 1.72 library, although epub droppings (files) stay in my ADE directory unless I clear them out by hand. After I return library books, e.g., the presumably useless husk of a DRM'ed epub stays hanging out in the directory.

After I delete a downloaded purchase, same thing. I have to manually clean out the useless epubs, and at the time of this attempted install, there were about a half-dozen epubs in the ADE library directory, but 0 bought/borrowed books in the ADE library. The installer apparently detected returned library books.

The distortion on the menus and buttons preceded my adding even 1 single (new library) book to ADE 2.0. In fact, I keep my ADE library at 0 books on purpose.
oj829 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 06:34 AM   #36
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Is the update mandatory yet?

Anyone try it on Wine yet? I know some of the dev releases were broken due to components that wouldn't work under Wine.
Unless adobe got rid of .NET... Didn't had time to try yesterday. Will try this evening maybe.
Old 10-02-2012, 01:24 AM   #37
EowynCarter
Wizard

So, 2.0 don't work with wine. It's bye bye buying books on linux...
Old 10-03-2012, 10:55 AM   #38
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Was worried about that. I know 1.8 used .net 2.0, which doesn't run under wine. Adobe was like "oh well, not our fault."
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 11:22 AM   #39
EowynCarter
Wizard

They don't give a damm about us

Guess "drm free" will becore more of a criteria to chose my books.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:27 AM   #40
tmclough
Connoisseur
tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tmclough ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Let's see: ADE no longer works under Wine. No more Adobe AIR for Linux. Currently no Adobe Reader X for Linux. No new Flash for Linux. Never any Photoshop for Linux.

It sure seems to me like Adobe has a vendetta against Linux.
tmclough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 11:44 AM   #41
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post
Let's see: ADE no longer works under Wine. No more Adobe AIR for Linux. Currently no Adobe Reader X for Linux. No new Flash for Linux. Never any Photoshop for Linux.

I wouldn't say a vendetta, but certainly a choosing of where to focus resources.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
What kills me is that almost all ebooks that get read, get read on hardware that runs on some flavor of Linux/*nix. Yet no one selling ebooks thinks having a Linux version of their desktop reading app is a good idea.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #43
stepberr
stepberr began at the beginning.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Yes the only desktop app was being developed by e-Reader they had a beta version available before Fictionwise was bought by B&N.I don't no if it is still available but B&N have just about killed that format .
stepberr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 04:50 AM   #44
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmclough View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
What kills me is that almost all ebooks that get read, get read on hardware that runs on some flavor of Linux/*nix. Yet no one selling ebooks thinks having a Linux version of their desktop reading app is a good idea.
What gets me the most, is they're not even developing their developer tools for Linux. A sizable portion of programmers use Linux, and they don't push their dev tools to Linux. For the past decade or so, nearly as many developers use Linux as they do MacOS (and for majority of that time, Linux was ahead of MacOS by a good margin). Its like, "Hey, I'm a developer, I want to give you my money, why won't you take it? Lots of my friends do too."
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #45
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
@Hellmark
more ironic is most of the portable devices (like my PEz) that have MR run Linux

Last edited by theducks; 10-05-2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: added MR
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote