Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-07-2011, 08:16 AM   #1
jennie
jennie began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
linux nautilus script: send file to kindle

I just wrote an extremely basic script to email books to my kindle from the nautilus file manager, using my gmail account. It would be nice if someone else could improve on it, but in the meantime, for whoever might be interested:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

calibre-smtp -r smtp.gmail.com --port 587 --username myusername@gmail.com --password mypassword -vv --subject convert --attachment $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS myusername@gmail.com myusername@free.kindle.com "email"
Bear in mind that this script leaves your password completely unprotected. Also, it will only work if you select one file at a time. Spaces, non-latin characters, and accented characters are not allowed in the filename.

If you still want to use it, you will need to replace every instance of myusername and mypassword with your coordinates, and save the code to a file named "Send to Kindle" inside /home/user/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts . Then, make sure you make the file executable. Obviously, you must have calibre installed.
jennie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 01:02 AM   #2
inameiname
Groupie
inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.inameiname can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennie View Post
I just wrote an extremely basic script to email books to my kindle from the nautilus file manager, using my gmail account. It would be nice if someone else could improve on it, but in the meantime, for whoever might be interested:
Code:
#!/bin/sh

calibre-smtp -r smtp.gmail.com --port 587 --username myusername@gmail.com --password mypassword -vv --subject convert --attachment $NAUTILUS_SCRIPT_SELECTED_FILE_PATHS myusername@gmail.com myusername@free.kindle.com "email"
Bear in mind that this script leaves your password completely unprotected. Also, it will only work if you select one file at a time. Spaces, non-latin characters, and accented characters are not allowed in the filename.

If you still want to use it, you will need to replace every instance of myusername and mypassword with your coordinates, and save the code to a file named "Send to Kindle" inside /home/user/.gnome2/nautilus-scripts . Then, make sure you make the file executable. Obviously, you must have calibre installed.

Interesting. I don't know if I would use it a lot, especially as I don't like keeping usernames and passwords I use on something that can be seen by all, but I am a nautilus-script nut, so it definitely seems like a pretty cool idea. Thanks.
inameiname is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert

Tags
linux, nautilus, script