Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #1
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PE,Novel,Nook Color
Terminate cell power use on PE??

My new PE is running Ermine and rooted. I was looking at battery use function in About edge and it displayed 78% used by the cell radio. How do I disable this function? Also is there a double tap to open setting - I keep opening things as I scroll through.
bunodosoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 04:43 PM   #2
kennyminot
Groupie
kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.kennyminot composes epic poetry in binary.

Device: HTC EVO View 4G, HTC Wildfire S, Asus T91MT
Definitely not the "cell radio" because the device doesn't actually have one. Most likely, it's just mislabeling another item. When I look at the power usage" screen in Elixir, it tells me that 77% is being used by "eDGe idle," which is identified with the cellphone connection bars. You are probably looking at the same thing.
kennyminot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:12 PM   #3
Billbofet
Billbofet began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket Edge
You could also try throwing it in Airplane mode. Can't hurt. I know it has helped on other tablets.
Billbofet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 05:47 PM   #4
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
I have mine in airplane mode after seeing the same thing, but it doesn't go away. I think the eDGe idle is a mislabel of the device backlight (the most power-sucking thing on any tablet or phone) since I didn't even see that in the list of processes.
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:24 PM   #5
bunodosoma
Connoisseur
bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.bunodosoma has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

OK, I quizzed one of my sons who had a similar problem with his Nook. We used the latest version of esfile explorer (160.0.0.1) on my PE to turn on root privileges and delete phone.apk and telephony.apk from the system folder. After a power cycle the "eDGe idle" entry in the battery use table is just 4% instead of 78%. I'll see if this translates to longer battery life. My son said it gave him a couple more hours on his rooted Nook.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:54 AM   #6
muranternet
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bunodosoma View Post
OK, I quizzed one of my sons who had a similar problem with his Nook. We used the latest version of esfile explorer (160.0.0.1) on my PE to turn on root privileges and delete phone.apk and telephony.apk from the system folder. After a power cycle the "eDGe idle" entry in the battery use table is just 4% instead of 78%. I'll see if this translates to longer battery life. My son said it gave him a couple more hours on his rooted Nook.
That's pretty sweet. Can you report on any weird behavior after this tweak? I've tried using Android Assistant to kill the dialer process on startup to no avail, though it works on my Droid.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:27 PM   #7
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Yes, waiting to see if it helps!
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:08 PM   #8
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
are you eink apps still working?
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 11:59 PM   #9
bunodosoma
Connoisseur

Update: battery life with what I did seems to be about 25% per 2 hours of use. About eDGe battery use stats are "display 53% and WiFi 48%" w/nothing for eDGe idle. Activities 50% internet and 50% gameplay. So preliminary indications are a projected 8 hrs battery life for this mix. Is this an improvement? What battery life do you get with those files in place? I only tracked for 2 hours. I'll try to track longer another day this week and see how it does then.

Also no strange behavior noted and the eink side seems to work fine
Old 07-12-2011, 03:50 AM   #10
muranternet
Connoisseur

That's a significant savings for the PE. I went ahead and moved phone and telephonyprovider to a backup folder with Root Explorer; the PE whined at me after I hid phone.apk until I hard power switched it off, but no problems on reboot. Cell standby is gone from battery usage, hooray.

I'll see if I notice a difference, but 2hrs/25% sounds promising, Thanks for the tip. I'll try it on the Nook Color as soon as the wife lets me. She has a thing about messing with production vs. development hardware. Women. :P

Edit: kennyminot can bunodosoma's tweak get put into the ermine tweaks thread? I alreaxy track a noticeable savings although I haven't benchmarked it yet.

Last edited by muranternet; 07-12-2011 at 03:57 AM.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 PM   #11
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
any luck for this to be implemented in a experimental rom.
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 03:57 PM   #12
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunodosoma View Post
hrmm.. I'm curious as to how you guys are deleting these files. I was able to copy my phone.apk and telephony.apk files to a 'backup' directory but I am unable to delete them. I'm assuming it's because they are system files but I can find no way to change their permissions.

What am I missing here?
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 04:12 PM   #13
muranternet
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterTec View Post
hrmm.. I'm curious as to how you guys are deleting these files. I was able to copy my phone.apk and telephony.apk files to a 'backup' directory but I am unable to delete them. I'm assuming it's because they are system files but I can find no way to change their permissions.

What am I missing here?
You need the latest version of ES File explorer with root options and mount the system folder as R/W, or use Root Explorer and mount the directory as R/W before cut/paste or delete. There are some other applications that will allow you to do this as well. In any case, you need root access.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:19 PM   #14
muranternet
Connoisseur

NOTE: Found this in a search for phone.apk and telephonyprovider.apk.: http://forum.xda-developers.com/arch...t-1063123.html

Since the PE is not clockwork recoverable, I'd recommend moving the files so you can restore them in case you need to do a factory reset instead of deleting them.
Old 07-12-2011, 04:24 PM   #15
MasterTec
Connoisseur
MasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshesMasterTec can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: enTourage eDGe Pocket
Quote:
Originally Posted by muranternet View Post
You need the latest version of ES File explorer with root options and mount the system folder as R/W, or use Root Explorer and mount the directory as R/W before cut/paste or delete. There are some other applications that will allow you to do this as well. In any case, you need root access.
yes I have v160 and its documentation says it has root options but I cannot figure out how to access them. I have rooted my PE with Z4Root.

Simply put, I don't know how to set the system folder as Read/Write.. I can't find that option anywhere..
MasterTec is offline   Reply With Quote