Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-16-2020, 08:54 AM   #16
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iris-maybe View Post
Yes, you can still dow it. For some computers, when you open the book, just check the bottom-right corner, you can see the downloading progress. That means you book is saving for offline use. If the book is downloaded completely, right click the book cover, you can see two options ’open book" and "read book".
What you describe is how things work for me on Linux. On a win10 box, non of that happens. No downloading message, no right click menu (nothing at all) and no file on the harddrive.

What OS are you running on?
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 09:30 AM   #17
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by shalym View Post
Interesting. I'm on Windows 10 using Firefox, and all is well. Can someone else who uses Linux try this and see if they are able to open any books with DRM using read.amazon.com?
I use Firefox in Linux Mint 19.1. So far I've run into one book that wouldn't open, but Amazon gives me a slot where I can enter my email address and they'll supposedly send me a download link.

There's normally no option to download a book (except for the one that wouldn't open) and – so far – I haven't seen any book download automatically for offline reading.

Last edited by rcentros; 07-16-2020 at 09:38 AM. Reason: Linux Mint 19.1, not 19.3 on this computer.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:06 AM   #18
hyegeek
Groupie
hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hyegeek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ez Reader (hanlin v3)
Doing a little more digging, it is looking like there are two different versions and it does not appear to only divide on a window/linux line.

So far, on a recently installed Windows box, I get the version without download/offline for chromium, edge (new chromium based version, and firefox.

On my linux box, chromium downloads for offline, but firefox does not. In fact, google-chrom (as opposed to locally compiled chromium) does not download.

What seems to make the difference is if I visited read.amazon.com in the past or for the first time on this browser. Any first time visits gets to new non downloading version. So it does look like things have changed and not for the better.
hyegeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:31 AM   #19
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I use Firefox in Linux Mint 19.1. So far I've run into one book that wouldn't open, but Amazon gives me a slot where I can enter my email address and they'll supposedly send me a download link.
Just to be clear, the "download link" you are emailed is to download the Kindle for PC/Mac software. It does not send you a link to download the actual book.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:11 PM   #20
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Just to be clear, the "download link" you are emailed is to download the Kindle for PC/Mac software. It does not send you a link to download the actual book.
So amazon will support getting Kindle for PC/Mac running under wine on linux/ios ?
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 12:38 PM   #21
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
So amazon will support getting Kindle for PC/Mac running under wine on linux/ios ?
No, but they will happily sell you a PC or Mac.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2020, 10:08 PM   #22
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Okay. That actually makes more sense. Sorry for missing the obvious. (I'm talented at that.)
Old 07-16-2020, 10:20 PM   #23
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyegeek View Post
On my linux box, chromium downloads for offline, but firefox does not. In fact, google-chrom (as opposed to locally compiled chromium) does not download.

What seems to make the difference is if I visited read.amazon.com in the past or for the first time on this browser. Any first time visits gets to new non downloading version. So it does look like things have changed and not for the better.
I installed Chromium to try it... and you're right, it doesn't work for downloading. Hopefully the "download for USB" or directly to my KNT4 still works in the future.