Notices

Old 08-27-2010, 07:14 AM   #46
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by clintbradford View Post
>> ... I don't really like Amazon's policies. They are starting to look a lot like Apple, and that is a very bad thing ...

When I think of Apple and Amazon, I think of companies that innovate, and desire to lead their respective classes of wares.

And they are both succeeding.

Bezos wants every book ever published to be available for us as eBooks. No other eBook reader manufacturer has the clout, capability, nor desire to to that FOR the consuming public.
Well, I do agree that both companies innovate. But as v1k1ng1001, they do that by limiting the customer freedom, and that's a very dangerous thing.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 02:38 PM   #47
bluemoonjules
Connoisseur
bluemoonjules is on a distinguished road

Device: Kindle 3G
Hmmmmmm....unless I am missing something, I would intend to have my books stored on my netbook's Kindle for PC and swap them off and on my Kindle when it gets full, along with some music and some pdf files......

I don't see any need to have them all on the Kindle all the time, but good luck to the 'what-if' brigade - as George Bernard Shaw said, 'progress depends on the unreasonable man'....
bluemoonjules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2010, 09:57 PM   #48
v1k1ng1001
Addict
v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.v1k1ng1001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook 620
Most of my reading is not for pleasure. I use my library for research. A lot of times I need to look things up or find a quote or go over something while I'm in the middle of the project. I'd like to be able to move more and more of my library over to a mobile device.

For example, it would be awesome to be able to carry the primary texts from the history of philosophy and selected secondary literature with me while I travel home for Christmas so that I can continue my work.

So in the end it's not just a geeky interest in pushing the device beyond what it's intended for, it's about being able to extend the intended functionality of the device to suit your current and future needs.
v1k1ng1001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2010, 09:33 AM   #49
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluemoonjules View Post
Hmmmmmm....unless I am missing something, I would intend to have my books stored on my netbook's Kindle for PC and swap them off and on my Kindle when it gets full, along with some music and some pdf files......

I don't see any need to have them all on the Kindle all the time, but good luck to the 'what-if' brigade - as George Bernard Shaw said, 'progress depends on the unreasonable man'....
That's not what the description page says, they proudly say "no computer required" quite a few times in that page.

They should at least include a free cloud storage option for non-Amazon books, like the early netbooks with very limited storage had, that way you would really never need a computer.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 12:05 PM   #50
Kuby
Kuby began at the beginning.

Device: K4
Question Kindle - to limited for business - maybe K4

Kindle appears to have a lot of capability and all the technical hooks but does NOT want to beak into the Business/Engineering markets.

To use in Business/engineering we will use it as a reference search/find technical info, view/zoom drawings, get specifications, view Gantt charts, etc.

Since it is WiFi capable - allow Business Network/Internet connection to allow us to check our emails, or go to network locations to pull up pdf/files. If the file is not a K usable format- auto convert to a view/zoom only. Install a skinny canned browser (like Safari) for webbing.

Music IS a large memory hog. OK on .MP3 but why not a smaller .wma?
Pictures can burn big memory fast, on upload auto condense to =>1M .jpg's?

But in all K3/4 needs SD Mem card port to all sizes even 64G! Use SD for the memory hog music/pics/drawings! All NetBooks have SD!

I'm holding OFF my purchase until K3 update or K4 --- if they will do the above otherwise I'll wait for a WeTab type portable.
Never IPad due to Apple restrictions and no external ports. https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliesadd1/thmbdn.gif
Sr R&D/Test/MFG/Project/Program MS-EET
Kuby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 07:43 AM   #51
roth
roth began at the beginning.

Device: none
I need an Ereader for Talmud. This requires exstensive referencing from massive reference libraries. 4G is way to small. Anyways It doesn't support Hebrew so I can't use it which is disappointing. It is so close to being perfect for me. If only it had more memory and was unrestricted and adaptable so as to allow me costomize ti for all of the complexity of Talmudic text and layout.
roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2011, 11:24 AM   #52
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
I have less than 200 books and I'm down to 2.5g free. I do have some hacks installed.

I would not care to put more books on it, since organization is a PITA. I would use it as an mp3 player if it had a GUI for playing mp3. so thus far, I have no reason for wanting more memory.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 12:36 AM   #53
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
Originally Posted by JeremyR
If you read for 2-3 hours a day, you can pretty easily read 400-500 a year. Then again, that would still take several years to read for most people, and if you can't change the books in years, well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vaughnmr View Post
You must be one seriously fast reader!!!
NOt. it´s lie.

tipical 500 ~ 1.000 words by minute. 5/10 pages

200 pages minibook.

500 book on one year, you need read more that one book for every day...

weekend too...

IMPOSIBLE: or working on it. editor ebook.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2011, 04:25 PM   #54
KRorschachZ
Update
KRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litterKRorschachZ doesn't litter

Device: kindle DX graphite, we need update/firmware with optios PDF Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by semko View Post
I cant really agree with you on that. As a reason think for more memory as for a more capability
Yes, I think that why not have 8 GB, it´s similar cost... it´s good for audiobooks.

amazon have a shop about audiobook

audible.com

We need more ram.
KRorschachZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 01:07 AM   #55
Azri
Azri began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
stumbled onto his thread...

i was looking for ways to expand the memory of my k2. I'm still thinking about it because my eyesight is such that eink is the only way I'd ever be able to back to college.

i have my cellphone on it's lowest brightness setting that seems to work great!

i bought a droid 3 cause i REALLY loved it! well, the kindle for droid works great, and the droid 3, yeah i know old as it is, has a good sized screen and ALL my kindle books & a boatload of books in other formats. it can go webside, it can play music & movies. it can go wifi or 3G. now if only the kindle for droid would let me have a black background with green text? I'd be in heaven!

my D3 has 16 gb memory inside plus a 16 gb micro sd card. that's 32 gb overall...more or less. when i can afford a 32 gb card I'll see bout putting that in. so problem temp. solved.

i still plan to look around and maybe doctor my kindle a bit for the tech manuals when i do get back in school. that's why i bought the K2 to begin with.

just thought I'd toss my 2 cents in as well.

cheers everyone!
Azri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:27 PM   #56
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricsmania View Post
I would be careful with statements such as "4 GB is enough for everyone", Bill Gates is (in)famous for such an argument.
Funny thing is, there is no evidence Gates ever actually said that (and if he ever said anything like it, I'd bet it was taken out of some reasonable context) but posters on the Innerwebs really DO seem to think they know best what everyone else needs!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 05:54 PM   #57
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Funny thing is, there is no evidence Gates ever actually said that (and if he ever said anything like it, I'd bet it was taken out of some reasonable context) but posters on the Innerwebs really DO seem to think they know best what everyone else needs!
Actually, Bill Gates is often attributed to saying "640K is enough for everybody" (or similar statements). However, what he actually said was “640K should keep everyone happy for the next 10 years.” He was referring to RAM, and 640KB was the maximum that you could put into an earlier IBM PC.

In fact, even modern computers running a 32-bit windows operating system cannot use 4GB of RAM. 3.25GB is typical, because some of that 32-bit memory address space is needed for memory-mapped I/O and buffers on various I/O devices (including video memory). You need a 64-bit OS to use a full 4GB or more of RAM.

If you are talking about 4GB of disk space, that is a different story. Early hard drives only held 5MB of data (it would take about 1000 or those hard drives to "hibernate" your computer these days).

Last edited by geekmaster; 07-29-2012 at 06:18 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 06:16 PM   #58
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
While we are on the humorous subject of "what Bill Gates said":

And for balance, Steve Jobs:

geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #59
SteveEisenberg
Grand Sorcerer
SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SteveEisenberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Kids Edition, Fire HD 10 (11th generation)
Through most of Apple's history, Microsoft Office has had a tremendous market share in the Macintosh market. And Office is roughly as important to Microsoft as Windows. So it's not like Apple directly threatened Microsoft, at least not when Gates was the CEO.

Even in the pre-Macintosh era, Microsoft profited from Apple's success, due to Microsoft having written part of the operating system (Applesoft BASIC).

These companies have been complementary so often that Gates's remark isn't surprising.
SteveEisenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 10:49 PM   #60
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
However, what he actually said was “640K should keep everyone happy for the next 10 years.”
Got a cite?
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
expanding, expansion, flash, hack, kindle 3, memory, open, ram, software