Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 03-14-2010, 02:04 PM   #1
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3
Please help me figure out how to light this little guy

I really like my Libre - the size, the format support, the ease of use. I bought it for the price, and the fact that it was a simple device - I wanted a reader, not another gadget.

But I do 90% of my pleasure reading at night. I have to use a booklight so as not to disturb hubby. But I cannot find a good solution. The clip lights I have tried don't clip properly, move around, or cover part of the screen. The light needs to be adjusted every time I shift position. Most of the time, one part of the screen is lit well, while the rest of the screen is dim.

I am very frustrated. I just want to enjoy my books.

I wrote this in another thread, but does anyone have a booklight that works perfectly with the jetbook/libre? Not a wearable light.

If I can't find a good solution, I may have to send it back.

Thanks.
Desertway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:09 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Get a Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2 Book Light

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...=9781933622026
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 02:18 PM   #3
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Have you considered an adjustable floor or desk lamp? Preferably one with a focused beam. I know some can be pricey, but maybe you can find a good deal somewhere. My son using one (a cheap one) to read in his bed.

Look at some examples here:

http://www.lampdecor.com/ex/asp/type.../category.html

http://www.lampdecor.com/ex/asp/type.../category.html
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Get a Mighty Bright XtraFlex 2 Book Light

http://www.borders.com/online/store/...=9781933622026
Have you actually used it on the JBL?

It looks like a great option for the JBL, you might have to modify the clamp and/or use Velcro on the back, though.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:22 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
Have you actually used it on the JBL?

It looks like a great option for the JBL, you might have to modify the clamp and/or use Velcro on the back, though.

Luck;
Ken
My mother uses one with her 600 when she reads in bed. A lamp will tend to through more light and be a bother if someone else is in bed. Does the Jetbook Lite have a proper cover that folds back? If so, there's where it would be clipped to.
Advert
Old 03-14-2010, 02:41 PM   #6
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
The modification might be as simple as putting a piece of waxed paper between the
bezel of the JBL and the clamp, then shaping a little epoxy putty and fit it between
the clamp and the waxed paper. Once the epoxy putty has hardened to the clamp
and you have trimmed it up, with a dremmel tool, you would have a form fitting clamp
that should hold it firmly and not obstruct the view.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 02:43 PM   #7
uRwhatUr
Groupie
uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.uRwhatUr is no ebook tyro.

Device: Aluratek Libre
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
A lamp will tend to through more light and be a bother if someone else is in bed.
Depends on the style of lamp. Besides the OP stated that the clip lights were not working for her.
uRwhatUr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:11 PM   #8
Desertway
Addict
Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Desertway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I have the same problem using a low watt bulb in a bedside lamp. I suppose because of the TFT, either the light or the Libre have to be constantly adjusted to get even lighting.

JSWolf - I tried the Might Bright Flex - but not the Flex2. I think they have the same clip. Have you used it? It is a very large clip, and it does not sit securely on the small edge of the Libre.

The Libre does not have a cover. I could use one, but now we are getting very complicated - modifications to existing lights, homebrew covers. I got the thing because it was simple.

It may be that I have to return it and go to an eInk device that doesn't have such problems with lighting. Too bad.

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions.
Old 03-14-2010, 03:19 PM   #9
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
I cheat, I use a standard light for clipping onto a book, but clip it onto a baseball hat.
Goes right where I am looking without much fussing or adjusting. Helps to find one thats fairly bright.

The other option would be to pick up a cheap hard cover photo album, mount the jetbook on one cover with velcro, put the book light on the other cover. Plus this has the advantage of protecting your reader when not in use.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #10
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
You can use velcro and hook the itty bitty book lite to the back of the reader. Or, I made a back out of a piece of cardboard, 5" x 7". Velcro the piece of cardboard to the back of the reader, then slide the itty bitty book lite onto the piece of cardboard.
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 04:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

I am surprised that there is no cover for a Jetbook.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:00 PM   #12
petechan
Connoisseur
petechan doesn't litterpetechan doesn't litter

Device: Aluratek libre
Another thread stated that the Sony Pocket Reader covers (the ones with the straps on all four corners not the ones with cutout openings) will work with the Libre/Jetbook. There are cheaper imitation leather ones for sale on ebay for about $20 or if the more expensive route would be the M-edge ones for $36 to $39. You could clip a light on to those. Or splurge some more and get the M-edge illuminator 2 for another $25.

Currently I use a 2 LED 3AAA clip on that you can attach around the neck with a cord or with a clip on the top of your shirt/blouse. Ebay for about $8. It does move around but the batteries will last a long time.
petechan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:23 PM   #13
Desertway
Addict

Well, it looks like there is no great solution at this point. I tried another clip and it was worse than the Mighty Bright. Thanks for all the suggestions. I'm just super fussy, I suppose.

However, I've grown fond of the reader while playing with it all day, so I'll hold on and wait for a better lighting solution to appear.
Old 03-15-2010, 02:19 AM   #14
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertway View Post
I have the same problem using a low watt bulb in a bedside lamp. I suppose because of the TFT, either the light or the Libre have to be constantly adjusted to get even lighting.

Have you tried using a compact fluorescent lightbulb in the bedside lamp? You can get a bulb that will be close to your current bulb's wattage, but will put out light comparable to a higher wattage bulb. That's what I did with my bedside lamp.

(PS - With those flexible neck clip on lights - there's no rule that says they have to be clipped to the ebook reader itself. You could clip it onto your top's neckline and just bend the neck so the light shines on the book - it might look dumb, but who's going to see it at night? )

Last edited by Xanthe; 03-15-2010 at 02:23 AM.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:27 AM   #15
Desertway
Addict

At this point, exploring bulbs for the bedside lamp looks like the best solution. I have a low wattage incandescent, but I'll look at the fluorescents and see if they do a better job.

Thanks.