Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-14-2009, 04:09 PM   #1
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Nook, Astak EZ Reader Pocket, iPhone 3g, Droid
Is Harry Potter not in Ebook form?

Well legitimately at least?

I see PDF scans, but was wondering if this in Ebook. My searches come up as a no.

Never read the series, saw the movies. I just need something to keep me busy.
rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #2
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
sThe author has chosen to make it unavailable legally in ebook form.

There are thousands of ebooks here, hand formatted by our members, that will keep you busy........and they're free!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
Well legitimately at least?
I see PDF scans, but was wondering if this in Ebook. My searches come up as a no.
Never read the series, saw the movies. I just need something to keep me busy.
Nope; no legit ebook versions. JK Rowling refuses to allow them; she doesn't like ebooks.

Plenty of pirated versions available, though; including some OCR-corrected versions.
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:16 PM   #4
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Nope.

Quote:
Author J.K. Rowling has not allowed the first six Potter stories to be released as e-books and has no plans to change that for the seventh and final work, "Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows," Neil Blair, a lawyer with Rowling's literary agency, told The Associated Press on Sunday.

Rowling has cited two reasons over the years: concern about online piracy (which has never been a major problem for the Potter books), and the desire for readers to experience the books on paper. E-books, hyped as the future of publishing during the dot-com craze of the late 1990s, remain a tiny portion of the multibillion dollar industry.
from this article: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...020400654.html

Nice, isn't she?
I've never read or watched any Harry Potter by the way.
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 04:18 PM   #5
Kokomo Lee
Keeps on Ticking...
Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'Kokomo Lee understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindles, iStuff, Nexus and a partridge
You folks are fast!

Desertgrandma, elfwreck and omk3;

You answered before I could finish my reply. You folks are good!
Kokomo Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #6
rock
Addict
rock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic somethingrock has a certain pleonastic something

Thanks, I was just going by recommendation. I don't have to read them, was just looking to see if I could find them cheap maybe.

after reading about 5 books on my ereader, I can't see picking up a book anymore. It is just easier with the ereader.

I don't understand her line about experience it on paper? how does that make a difference. What I love is that when I open my bag, I don't have to worry about my book mark falling out, or the book getting damaged.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:26 PM   #7
omk3
Wizard
omk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five wordsomk3 can name that ebook in five words

Device: pocketbook 360, kindle 4
Oh, yes the paper experience(tm)! Not to be missed!
Just a pretentious uninformed comment if you ask me...

@SLMines: and we posted simultaneously too! some kind of record
omk3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:47 PM   #8
Tom2112
Tablet eReader
Tom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterTom2112 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7, iPad, Dell Streak 7, Moto RAZR MAXX
You know, it's funny. I might have said the same thing before I got an iPhone. I had absolutely no intention of ever owning an e-reader or reading novels on a computer.

But then my employer handed me and iPhone (I wouldn't have bought it myself), and I'm pretty much forced to carry it with me all of the time. Then I discovered a free app called Stanza. While I was waiting for something... a doctor's appointment or something like that... I downloaded and read a free ebook and tried Stanza out.

I don't even remember what book it was, but I was hooked. I haven't read a print book since. I've read a ton of ebooks on my iPhone, and I love it. The fact that it's always in my pocket, and reading is only a moment away, is just totally awesome.

Combine that with the clever ease of use features of most e-readers, such as bookmarking (and never losing your place again), searching, configurable fonts and colors, and it beats a book every time.

Now, I know that the iPhone isn't the best platform for reading ebooks, but even so, it's better than a physical book in most ways other than my iPhone needs charged. I've never had to charge a print book. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. I'm a total ebook convert.

There is one area where I still rely on print books and prefer them: for reference materials. I do a lot of computer work, and juggling devices while trying to find some reference code for a program or script is not cool. I prefer to leaf through a print manual for that sort of thing. But recreational reading is ALL ebooks for me.

So, I guess we just need to get J.K. Rowling an iPhone or an e-reader!

Last edited by Tom2112; 12-14-2009 at 05:49 PM.
Tom2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 05:52 PM   #9
rock
Addict

yeah I started on my Iphone, then got the Astak EZ reader.

The Iphone was too small (but readable) but I didn't like the backlight.

I used the Kindle app.

I love my Pocket Pro now.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
calvin-c
Guru
calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.calvin-c ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moon+ Pro
I suspect the 'paper experience' is something Rowling feels. I can see it, for an author, but don't think it means very much to most readers. I think it's a dumb decision, but everybody's got a right to make dumb decisions. I hope.
calvin-c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #11
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by omk3 View Post
Oh, yes the paper experience(tm)! Not to be missed
and don't forget the Smell of Books®
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:27 AM   #12
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom2112 View Post
You know, it's funny. I might have said the same thing before I got an iPhone. I had absolutely no intention of ever owning an e-reader or reading novels on a computer.

But then my employer handed me and iPhone (I wouldn't have bought it myself), and I'm pretty much forced to carry it with me all of the time. Then I discovered a free app called Stanza. While I was waiting for something... a doctor's appointment or something like that... I downloaded and read a free ebook and tried Stanza out.

I don't even remember what book it was, but I was hooked. I haven't read a print book since. I've read a ton of ebooks on my iPhone, and I love it. The fact that it's always in my pocket, and reading is only a moment away, is just totally awesome.

Combine that with the clever ease of use features of most e-readers, such as bookmarking (and never losing your place again), searching, configurable fonts and colors, and it beats a book every time.

Now, I know that the iPhone isn't the best platform for reading ebooks, but even so, it's better than a physical book in most ways other than my iPhone needs charged. I've never had to charge a print book. The advantages far outweigh the disadvantages. I'm a total ebook convert.

There is one area where I still rely on print books and prefer them: for reference materials. I do a lot of computer work, and juggling devices while trying to find some reference code for a program or script is not cool. I prefer to leaf through a print manual for that sort of thing. But recreational reading is ALL ebooks for me.

So, I guess we just need to get J.K. Rowling an iPhone or an e-reader!
I had a similar experience with my first PDA. My employer offered me one for the job, and I was hesistant to accept it because I thought it would simply end up with the other devices that I simply didn't find useful.

Then I discovered ebooks.

Soon, I purchased my own PDA so I could freely use it as an ebook reader. I would spend hours reading ebooks, much more time than I spend reading pbooks. If you subtract the amount of time I spend reading manga and comic books (which are not yet suitable for most ebook readers), I do very little of my reading with pbooks.

This takes me to the Harry Potter books. I've enjoyed a few of them as audiobooks that I've borrowed from the library, but it is not a series that I'm likely to actually buy (partially because of cost, and partially because of space), unless it is available as in an ebook form for a reasonable price. Otherwise, I will just borrow them from the library when I want to read them.

In time, I think the resistance to ebooks will decrease as the number of ebook readers in use increases. When the number of ebook readers in use becomes significant (say 5 percent of the world's population), it will be a market that has too much potential profit to ignore, especially when that market will not buy books in a pbook format.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:43 AM   #13
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by rock View Post
I don't understand her line about experience it on paper? how does that make a difference. What I love is that when I open my bag, I don't have to worry about my book mark falling out, or the book getting damaged.
I've done both. And I've found them enjoyable on both media.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:14 AM   #14
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
That kind of of shame, as I would have gladly bought them.
And on the darknet, i can't find a proper version. (ie ocr corrected ePub or mobi), and not americanized.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:11 AM   #15
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
I admire her position on ebooks of Harry Potter, and I hope it doesn't change for a few years yet.

The piracy concern is a bit humorous, though.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote