Notices

Old 11-30-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
romanas
Enthusiast
romanas began at the beginning.

Device: Irex iLiad ebook edition, DR1000s
What is the best pdf size/format

Hello,

im converting my chm files to pdf, and wanna to read it on DR. But i want to know what is the best format? A4? Letter? Or should i use custom paper size?

I know that A4 works fine, but i dont wanna use zooming.

Thanks
romanas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2009, 02:32 PM   #2
hanche
Enthusiast
hanche began at the beginning.

Device: iRex reader 1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by romanas View Post
Hello,

im converting my chm files to pdf, and wanna to read it on DR. But i want to know what is the best format? A4? Letter? Or should i use custom paper size?

I know that A4 works fine, but i dont wanna use zooming.

Thanks
Why not go for the actual dimensions of the DR screen? I specify 160×200*mm whenever I can reasonably do so. Remember to specify narrow margins unless you need them to scribble in.
hanche is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-30-2009, 03:14 PM   #3
Shaggy
Wizard
Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shaggy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iRex iLiad, DR800SG
Quote:
Originally Posted by hanche View Post
Why not go for the actual dimensions of the DR screen? I specify 160×200*mm whenever I can reasonably do so. Remember to specify narrow margins unless you need them to scribble in.
Exactly. If you're creating your own PDFs, the best thing is to use a custom size and make it specifically for the screen size of the device.
Shaggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 08:31 AM   #4
omro
Addict
omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.omro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I found that the North American letter format actually fits the screen better than A4 for standard print outs. I discovered that when I moved from the UK to Canada.

The screen of the DR is close to A5 in size, so if you don't want to use a custom paper size, which is still your best bet, A5 will do pretty well.
omro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2009, 01:05 PM   #5
romanas
Enthusiast

Im converting my chm files to pdf with abc amber chm converter. With custom size i dont know why - letters are very big. So im using B5 and it fits for me very good with little zoom.
Advert
Old 12-03-2009, 12:47 AM   #6
lastgasp
lastgasp began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000 Hanvon N516 Bebook NEO
I use Fbreader on the dr1000 to open chm files. When it works it works well. Keeping the TOC is a big plus. As usual when using FBreader you can't access dictionary lookup or annotate the document.
lastgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 03:33 AM   #7
romanas
Enthusiast

Form me FBreader has one big disadvantage - it can not show tables. Im reading just medical books or other science papers on it, so it is very important for me.
BTW - when im converting chm to pdf, im satisfied with content that dr1000 shows.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:46 AM   #8
lastgasp
lastgasp began at the beginning.

Device: iRex DR1000 Hanvon N516 Bebook NEO
by tables do you mean table of contents "TOC"? because fbreader does have some support for that. it the little icon that looks like a page. clicking on it kicks you to a decent approximation of the original TOC. internal links work also. these screen shots are from the pc version of fbreader. the pc version can open chm that the dr1000 chokes on. I don't know if its some short coming of the port to dr1000 or a hardware issue
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	toc01.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	40643   Click image for larger version

Name:	toc02.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	40644  
lastgasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2009, 12:18 PM   #9