Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2024, 06:04 PM   #61
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
What are you on about? Calibre has a GUI.
Obviously a GUI program... needs another GUI wrapper... I'm very confused as well. I kinda suspect this person isn't entirely aware of what GUI means.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:11 PM   #62
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
I'm a little fuzzy on what people find difficult about Calibre and NoDRM.
Is it:
  • Calibre itself is too complicated?
  • NoDRM install?
  • No DRM config?
Once you install Calibre, install the NoDRM plugin, and do some relatively simple configuration (NoDRM will automatically detect an installed Kindle for PC or Adobe Digital Editions, and it's easy to find the serial number of your Kindle if you want to enter that), adding an eBook downloaded from Amazon is as easy as adding an eBook without DRM.
One thing that can be difficult is finding the link to the new version of DeDRM. It's a lot easier to find a link to the old ALF/Harper version.

The latest version of DeDRM caan be found at https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...lease/releases

Click Assets and then click the long filename to get the latest version.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-26-2024, 06:46 PM   #63
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Obviously a GUI program... needs another GUI wrapper... I'm very confused as well. I kinda suspect this person isn't entirely aware of what GUI means.
What isn't GUI in Calibre is the process for DeDRMing--set up requires reading, not clicking.
I assume the other program walks the user through the DeDRM process.
slm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2024, 06:49 PM   #64
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by slm View Post
What isn't GUI in Calibre is the process for DeDRMing--set up requires reading, not clicking.
I think you might be thinking of a wizard, not a GUI.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-26-2024 at 07:12 PM.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:29 AM   #65
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
Quote:
You may mean a wizard, but it doesn't need one. Setup is simpler than even install.

Most "wizards" are a pain. The one Mozilla added to Thunderbird makes it harder to setup email.

And as for MS Office Clipit (Clippy)? Ugh. Copilot is Clipit 2.0 and so stupid to give it a keyboard button.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2024, 05:32 AM   #66
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The latest version of DeDRM caan be found at https://github.com/noDRM/DeDRM_tools...lease/releases

Click Assets and then click the long filename to get the latest version.
Also you can't see download links on github if you had an older browser, or unsuitable adblocker or scriptblocker settings, so check those if there are missing Release text on any Github page.
Old 03-27-2024, 05:43 AM   #67
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quoth View Post
And as for MS Office Clipit (Clippy)?
He's known as both Clippit and Clippy. Here's a fun (albeit not 100% family-friendly) interview with his creator.

Last edited by ownedbycats; 03-27-2024 at 05:45 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:27 AM   #68
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nabsltd View Post
There was literally one time that Calibre version mattered as far as DRM was concerned, and that was a fairly long time ago when there were some major changes. Now, as long as you are somewhere near current with Calibre (you can be an entire major version behind), DRM is not an issue. The only exception is a very few textbooks or books released in certain geographical areas. Since Calibre and NoDRM are free, it costs you nothing to learn whether the particular book you care about is a problem.

The current version of NoDRM works with all versions of the Kindle for PC application. So, the "last official working copy" is available from Amazon.

All file formats that can be imported into Calibre can have DRM removed. You might need to add plugins for the file formats.

Step by step (if this too much detail, mods, please nuke whatever is bad):
  1. Install Calibre
  2. Download NoDRM plugin (Google is your friend)
  3. Install NoDRM plugin into Calibre (plugin install in Calibre is covered by Calibre online help)
  4. Open NoDRM plugin configuration in Calibre
  5. Follow the instructions included with the downloaded NoDRM to configure it correctly
  6. Download book from Amazon in some way (Kindle for PC, Download and Transfer via USB, etc.)
  7. Import downloaded file into Calibre
Even if DeDRM was to stop working with calibre, there is a solution. Install the last version of calibre portable that works with DeDRM and use that to remove the DRM and then move the eBooks to your working library.

In this case, Google is NOT your friend. I just did a search and I did not find the link to the current DeDRM Git. I found linking the the ALF/Harper version. So you have to give the URL and not a Good is your friend that does not work easily enough. Google used to work perfectly well to find DeDRM, but no longer.

Also you have to tell which version to install because most would probably install 10.0.3 instead of 10.0.9.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-27-2024 at 06:31 AM.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:34 AM   #69
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Would that be the stable version, the beta version, or the alpha version. I would think a typical non techie would pick the stable version.
I'm running the alpha version. But I think most should be running the 10.0.9 version under releases. With 10.0.3, you may not be able to remove DRM from KFX and/or the new ADE DRM.
Old 03-27-2024, 06:37 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbm View Post
Please tell me why you would need a GUI wrapper on a GUI program that is simpler and 1000 time easier to use than Word or LibreOffice?

bernie
Actually, calibre can be both easier and more difficult to use. There are a lot of settings both in calibre and the plugins that need to be set correctly.

Think of how difficult it would be if you had to start over from scratch with calibre. It would not be easy. Would you remember all you needed to do to get setup again?
Old 03-27-2024, 06:42 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
In some cases, DeDRM can work automatically. IN order, it's CLICK and type to configure it.
Old 03-27-2024, 03:19 PM   #72
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Actually, calibre can be both easier and more difficult to use. There are a lot of settings both in calibre and the plugins that need to be set correctly.
And you don't keep a record of any settings you have modified as a backup?

Quote:
Think of how difficult it would be if you had to start over from scratch with calibre. It would not be easy. Would you remember all you needed to do to get setup again?
When I moved to my new computer last year, I decided that if I hadn't used a program in 6 months, it was not re-installed. For calibre rather than doing an export/import. I went through my notes, used the settings I had recorded, installed the plugins that I currently use, copied my libraries to an external hard drive and imported them into calibre. This took me about an hour and went without issue. Much the same for the other programs I decided to install. I considered this as a chance to get rid of the crud that had been accumulating with programs that I installed and no longer use.

And yes, I realize that it's probably a small number of people who have my habit of documenting almost everything I do on the computer. I learned my lessons about documentation decades ago and they have stuck with me.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:56 PM   #73
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I just back up the configuration folder. Have installed Calibre on multiple devices over the years with no issues and my settings always in place.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2024, 03:59 PM   #74
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

I managed to image my 2002 laptop as file for a VM. So it runs as a VM on my latest Laptop and Workstation running Linux.
My server has setup files / settings in text / scripts for various applications on various OS and backups of the original downloaded programs where possible.
Some programs might only be used once in a few years and need a VM with old OS so as to convert an old MS Works, Paint Shop Pro 5 or 7, ancient DTP file etc.
I should figure how to setup a Win98 VM for old DOS/Win3.x/Win9x programs that don't work either on DOSBox or WinXP VM.
Old 03-27-2024, 04:01 PM   #75
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I just back up the configuration folder. Have installed Calibre on multiple devices over the years with no issues and my settings always in place.
I had no difficulty with moving Calibre XP -> Win 7 -> Linux Mint.