Yes, sometimes. 14 13.46%
Yes, but only to fix issues 25 24.04%
No. 27 25.96%
Other (specify) 9 8.65%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 104. You may not vote on this poll

Old 03-14-2024, 06:35 PM   #61
Aleron Ives
Wizard
Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Aleron Ives ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
People would still argue. You probably need to use the word "modify" to avoid anyone misinterpreting the word "edit" as "copy edit" in this context.
Aleron Ives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2024, 06:45 PM   #62
Vaalberg
Vaalberg began at the beginning.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite
No, that's a bit too much effort compared to what I would like to modify. I like my ebooks raw.
Vaalberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2024, 05:31 PM   #63
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
I said no, but misunderstood the question. I would never change an author’s text, even to fix a misspelling. But I do import books in Calibre, and might add descriptions, fix formats, that sort of thing.
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:33 PM   #64
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
I said no, but misunderstood the question. I would never change an author’s text, even to fix a misspelling. But I do import books in Calibre, and might add descriptions, fix formats, that sort of thing.
Changing the code of the book is not the same as changing the author's text.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 05:57 PM   #65
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Can you list some of the ones from here that do not start the chapters on a separate screen/page? Thanks.
here is one from 2022
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...t=past+masters
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-18-2024, 06:00 PM   #66
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
What eBooks don't have chapters starting on a new page/screen? I've not seen this.
I've seen this with several poorly-formatted omnibus editions by self-published authors. Each book is an entire file. It tends to lag (and on rare occasions, entirely lock up) my Kobo.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2024, 09:36 PM   #67
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
I've seen this with several poorly-formatted omnibus editions by self-published authors. Each book is an entire file. It tends to lag (and on rare occasions, entirely lock up) my Kobo.
I've seen this on a couple of very indie books I've purchased.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2024, 01:28 PM   #68
Jane Eyre
Zealot
Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.Jane Eyre got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kindle P.white3/Kobo Clara 2E
Honestly, yes. I seldom rebuild them entirely. For instance, when chapters are in one single xhtml page o in a few pages...
Jane Eyre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 09:49 AM   #69
lumping-sugar66
Enthusiast
lumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than momlumping-sugar66 loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kobo Aura Edition 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I yearn for the day I don't need to, but I almost always have to. It's a 50/50 between formatting and actual HTML content.

All my books come through Libby/Calibre. I usually edit the metadata to behave nicely, also sometimes change the cover to something I like. I wouldn't say I like seeing the characters depicted on the cover (don't even get me started on photographs), so that's usually the first thing I do.

There's almost always something wrong with the formatting: sometimes, the background color is hardcoded grey; sometimes, the chapter dividers need to be appropriately set; and sometimes, there are premature line breaks. These are often easy to catch and fix with a regex pattern, so retouching is almost always needed.

I often change or introduce chapter marks to my books. I like to draw my dividers based on the theme of the book and add them to my books; they're my personal touch.
lumping-sugar66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:08 AM   #70
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karellen View Post
I guess we are trying to make a distinction between...

Incidental Changes - changes that happen automatically because you have tidied up some metadata which Calibre and Sigil then automatically flow into the ebook
and
Comprehensive editing - pre-planned changes that affect the structure, layout, look and feel of the book by adjusting css, xml tags, tables, lists etc etc

And I am assuming that editing the ebook, does not mean editing the story text. For me that is a no-no, except to fix typ-o's.
I do edit the text sometimes. I remove spaces around em-dashes and around ellipses. I don't like the spaces.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2024, 10:11 AM   #71
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I don't think so. Anything calibre can update with 'edit metadata' doesn't count as editing the ebook. There's a reason there is a second button called 'edit book'

That's how I see it anyway.
I agree.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:17 AM   #72
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
A misspelling may not be the author's text. I've seen some eBooks that were scanned and OCRed and had errors because the people making the eBook did not bother to properly check for errors. The errors were not the author's text.

Also, I've read in some cases where the author mentioned a mistake in the text and I was then able to go and fix it.
Old 03-20-2024, 10:27 AM   #73
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeayers View Post
I've just had a look at the code. It really does need (IMHO) cleaning up.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-20-2024 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-20-2024, 12:26 PM   #74
mikeayers
Zealot
mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mikeayers ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 10thGen, Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
I've just had a look at the code. It really does need (IMHO) cleaning up.
I have to admit that the main reason I edit books like these is just to keep my reg-ex skills up... I could read them with out the changes I do just fine....
mikeayers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2024, 05:47 PM   #75
aborh
aborh began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
If it's a book that I love, I will make notes of typos (which irritate me, especially in ebooks I paid for), and go back to my original in Calibre and fix them for when I want to reread them.

If it's one of the marvelous books available from Standardebooks.org, I will email them and the errors will be fixed within a few days. Standardebooks.org is a great organization and they rightfully take a good deal of pride in producing ebooks which are a joy to read.
aborh is offline   Reply With Quote