Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 01-24-2018, 07:13 PM   #31786
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by badgoodDeb View Post
Could you keep the old bank, and just find a local bank (for a second account) to do stuff you need to do in person?
I've got choices. If I do nothing, my checking will be moved to a branch about 40min away. As long as I can do free online transfers to/from the new local bank and my existing account, I might be able to get by. But I'm always flirting with the minimum balance with just one checking account. Keeping two above the minimum would be a scary dance. Free, non-minimum checking accounts are rarer than a blue speckled pup around here.

I need to see what other local banks have no-envelope ATM deposits.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:19 PM   #31787
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
My bank's local branch is shutting down. Now begins the dance of migrating to a new bank in such a way that successfully navigates minimum balances and a host of auto-withdrawals without penalty. I will hate every second of it.
How often do you actually have to visit the branch?

The local branch of my bank (a small community bank with all of seven branches) still exists, but it's been ages since my SO or I actually had to visit the branch and speak to a live human being. We do everything electronically. If the local branch closed, we would barely notice.

Why does the local branch of your current bank closing mean you must transfer your banking to a new bank?
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 07:46 PM   #31788
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMcCunney View Post
How often do you actually have to visit the branch?
Twice a month to deposit paychecks (as the sole employee of non-profit whose treasurer is a volunteer that runs the business on Quickbooks from his home, there is no direct-deposit), multiple times to get cash from the ATM, and whenever said employer writes me a check to use to replenish the petty-cash box.

Quote:
The local branch of my bank (a small community bank with all of seven branches) still exists, but it's been ages since my SO or I actually had to visit the branch and speak to a live human being. We do everything electronically. If the local branch closed, we would barely notice.
That's nice. I don't have that luxury.

Quote:
Why does the local branch of your current bank closing mean you must transfer your banking to a new bank?
As previously mentioned. I need to maintain local check-cashing abilities that don't require a 90 minute round trip, and i need local, no-fee ATM withdrawals/deposits. I don't need to speak to a human, but I DO need a local, no-fee ATM (which is what I'm losing with the branch closure).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 01-24-2018 at 07:51 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 09:24 PM   #31789
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
This always works. It appears that manners are not being taught anymore.
I mention this not to be argumentative, but just because it came to mind. Sometimes being nice and helpful doesn't "work".

I once held open a (heavy) library door for a thin, pale, tired-looking bald woman wearing a kerchief on her head. (Sure looked like someone dealing with cancer to me). I got a HUGE rant in my face about she didn't NEED my help, did she ASK me to open that door, etc.... I was so stunned and literally shaking by the time I got to my car. (When I was younger I was horrible about dealing with confrontation - any form of it scared the crap out of me).

Twenty (or maybe thirty) years later, I walk with two canes when my knees are really bad, and there are some days when I hurt so much I just want to lay down and cry, and then another spunky youngster at work dashes in front of me to hold open a door - and I have to remember that stunned, shaky feeling and keep my mouth shut. (I don't always succeed, much to my shame).

That's not to say don't be helpful or polite. It's just no guarantee that you'll get smiles and "thank you" back. In addition, we've been taught (in sensitivity training at work) not to offer help to folks in wheelchairs, etc., but to give them the dignity to choose to ask or make the attempt on their own. Not 100% sure I agree with that - but I can see both sides.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rumpelteazer View Post
I go on vacation and what do I hear: mice on/between the ceiling. I get home and it's the same.

I lit a cinnamon scented incense stick, which is so far the best, easiest and longest lasting remedy I've found for my problem. When this one has burned down I'll light a second one and then I'm going to bed early.
Cinnamon scented incense gets rid of mice?! Really, does that work? I've never heard of that, but it sure beats traps or poison.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 11:37 PM   #31790
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
I mention this not to be argumentative, but just because it came to mind. Sometimes being nice and helpful doesn't "work".

I once held open a (heavy) library door for a thin, pale, tired-looking bald woman wearing a kerchief on her head. (Sure looked like someone dealing with cancer to me). I got a HUGE rant in my face about she didn't NEED my help, did she ASK me to open that door, etc.... I was so stunned and literally shaking by the time I got to my car. (When I was younger I was horrible about dealing with confrontation - any form of it scared the crap out of me).

Twenty (or maybe thirty) years later, I walk with two canes when my knees are really bad, and there are some days when I hurt so much I just want to lay down and cry, and then another spunky youngster at work dashes in front of me to hold open a door - and I have to remember that stunned, shaky feeling and keep my mouth shut. (I don't always succeed, much to my shame).
Are you angry because they held the door, or just because they're youthful and vigorous? I confess, I have moments where the mere existence of the latter will make me cranky. ;-)

Quote:
That's not to say don't be helpful or polite. It's just no guarantee that you'll get smiles and "thank you" back. In addition, we've been taught (in sensitivity training at work) not to offer help to folks in wheelchairs, etc., but to give them the dignity to choose to ask or make the attempt on their own. Not 100% sure I agree with that - but I can see both sides.
I've heard/read that, but I just can't bring myself not to offer. I'm sorry, but if a lady or gent is in one of those automated carts, in the grocery, and they can obviously not easily reach something, I'd feel like a schmuck if I didn't at least offer. I offer for perfectly healthy height-challenged people. Why not offer for someone who has additional challenges? Seems DAFT.

Yes, yes, I understand that folks want to be perceived as "not different." As capable, and all that. Does that mean that normal politesse is verboten?

Quote:
Cinnamon scented incense gets rid of mice?! Really, does that work? I've never heard of that, but it sure beats traps or poison.
Does that work? I'd love to know; we are always dealing with field mice at our other house, which is frequently empty. DYING to know this.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2018, 11:50 PM   #31791
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
many google hits for the concept of cinnamon oil as mouse deterrent

Check out this little article---
https://www.hunker.com/12301239/how-...h-cinnamon-oil
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:12 AM   #31792
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
many google hits for the concept of cinnamon oil as mouse deterrent

Check out this little article---
https://www.hunker.com/12301239/how-...h-cinnamon-oil
Thanks, GG.

I've heard a lot of things, but not this. Can't hurt to try, all things considered.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:02 AM   #31793
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I found out that cinnamon scented incense gets rid of mice in my late teens. When I noticed that when I burned that scent of incense the mice would stay away. If I burned another scent it didn't work.

It works well for me, I think, is because "my" mice are mostly between the ceiling. My ceiling is made from plasterboard which isn't put together very nicely, so there are gaps. I put my incense holder on a high shelf, near the ceiling so it can get in between the gaps. Peppermint and eucalyptus oil (in either water or on a scent stone) also work, but not as well for the ceiling, probably it's scent is less strong.

The oils do work well for ground level. At one point the mice problem was really bad and they also came into my room through the stairwell (which exits in my room, with no door to close). I put a scent stone in the entry with peppermint oil and added oil to it every day or every other day. I think there the incense wouldn't work well.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:12 AM   #31794
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In November we got a phone call from someone who had seen an offer for tools for sale on the marketplace of Facebook. This person used our store's Chamber of Commerce number. He had looked us up with that number and called if it was us selling the tools. It wasn't. However, after the phone call we immediately looked on Facebook and couldn't find the post. We kept an eye out for a while, but it didn't happen again.

Until Sunday. We've had three phone calls and one person in the store asking about the items we were selling. They were all different things, and things we don't sell: car lift, audio speaker set, boat and the lady who came to the store only had a model number her brother had given to her and she didn't know what the item was or where it was advertised.

The fraudster now uses both our CoC number and our name to legitimize his sales, from what we've heard. But, again, his posts disappear as soon as he thinks he's found out. So we haven't got any proof to notify Facebook with. My mother now has alerts out for our name and CoC number, though he often doesn't use it in his post, only over the phone.

We've looked into reporting it to the police but we can't. It isn't unlawful to the the business name of a company you have no connection with. Also, according to the law we can't press charges because we're not the victim. Only the people who were swindled can press charges.

I've now pinned a post to the top of our Facebook page. Telling someone's using our name and number. That it isn't us, that we don't sell items through the internet, let alone through FB. Meanwhile we're hoping to find one of these ads so we can contact Facebook about it.
Old 01-25-2018, 03:14 AM   #31795
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Wasn't there something earlier in this thread about getting rid of ants with talcum powder? Anyway, lots of people swear by that.

Amazing -- just make your house smell baby-clean and cinnamon-y and get rid of pests like magic.
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:48 AM   #31796
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Wasn't there something earlier in this thread about getting rid of ants with talcum powder? Anyway, lots of people swear by that.

Amazing -- just make your house smell baby-clean and cinnamon-y and get rid of pests like magic.
If only it would work on the pests on the phone. .. .
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:46 PM   #31797
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:

That was me. An elderly lady told me that as I stood in front of the insecticide shelves with a puzzled expression. "What's your problem dear?", she asked. "Ants", I replied. She reached around me to pick up a packet of 'Ant Traps', as she dropped it in my basket, she said, "Stick a couple of those on the walls where they walk, and rub some talcum powder into the shelves they get onto, it sticks to their feet, and they don't like that."

Not sure if it would work with bull ants, fire ants etc, but it definitely works on the little Argentinean beggars we get around here.

BR
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 05:41 AM   #31798
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Yesterday we got a name of the profile on Facebook the fraudster is using. He never puts our name or Chamber of Commerce number in the ads but only gives it out over the phone. The lady who gave us the name also had a bank account number and a name (different from the profile).

So I've spend an hour and a half on the phone yesterday. First with the bank, they officially can't do anything until it's reported to the police, but they are going to monitor the account. They also advised me to call the National Fraud Helpdesk. Which I did and they told me the name connected to the bank account was known to them. Then I called the police and insisted to report it, since then the bank can start taking action. With this type of crime you can't report it via the internet, you have to do it in person. So I've made an appointment for Monday afternoon. I also notified Facebook, although I doubt they will do anything since he doesn't use our name in his ads.

Just before closing, yesterday, we got another phone call from someone who had a different bank account number and a different name (but the same Facebook profile).

I've been updating our Facebook page with all the information as it comes in (not the bank account numbers, but the names). I'm now about the call the bank, a different one than the first, to notify them and call the National Fraud Helpdesk to update them on the situation.

It looks like my pinned post is getting viewed. It has already reached 125 different people. The most we've ever had. Hopefully it'll prevent people from getting conned.
Old 01-29-2018, 02:56 PM   #31799
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer

Two weeks ago I had a cold. It wasn't a bad one, luckily, but I still had the occasional itchy cough, mostly at night.

I woke up during the night with a sore throat, I hoped it was because I had coughed during my sleep. But today it got worse and I started to feel a bit fuzzy, like when I get a cold.

I hadn't unpacked the baggie of medicine I had taken with my on vacation. So I had all the things I need at hand.

I'm glad that last week I managed to deal with all the shipments that had come in during my week away. Which means that at least the next couple of days of work are relatively stress free.
Old 01-29-2018, 07:40 PM   #31800
Hemmi
Grand Sorcerer
Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hemmi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sonys, Nooks, Kobo Libra, Forma, Mini, Paperwhite
I wish I knew what stress free work was like. We're nothing but stressed these days. I told my boss today that if corporate wants to cut any more hours, they're going to be replacing most of the staff because we really need MORE people right now, not less.
Hemmi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness