Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-30-2015, 01:27 PM   #1
jvgiannone
jvgiannone began at the beginning.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab S
Add books to Calibre Companion using USB

I just purchased and installed the calibre companion app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S device. I can't seem to figure out how to add books to my app using usb. The app is giving me the choice to add books as a wireless device or via the content server. Since I don't have wi-fi, neither option works.

I have connected the device to my computer. It is recognized by the Calibre software on my computer and I can even send books from my computer to my device. However, when I open the app, it shows there are no books in my library. It is stuck on the choice of setting up wi-fi or the content server.

Is there any way to bypass the wi-fi/content server setup so I can add books via usb?

Thanks
jvgiannone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 03:09 PM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvgiannone View Post
I just purchased and installed the calibre companion app on my Samsung Galaxy Tab S device. I can't seem to figure out how to add books to my app using usb. The app is giving me the choice to add books as a wireless device or via the content server. Since I don't have wi-fi, neither option works.

I have connected the device to my computer. It is recognized by the Calibre software on my computer and I can even send books from my computer to my device. However, when I open the app, it shows there are no books in my library. It is stuck on the choice of setting up wi-fi or the content server.

Is there any way to bypass the wi-fi/content server setup so I can add books via usb?

Thanks
Short answer: no.

Longer answer: CC works with books added via the wireless device connection, the content server connection, and with the upcoming release the cloud connection. All of these connections require WiFi. CC does not work with books that arrive via other channels such as USB.

If your only connection is USB then CC won't be of much use to you. I suggest that you contact us for a refund. Go to www.multipie.co.uk and fill out the "Contact Us" form at the bottom of the page.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 04:38 PM   #3
NSILMike
Guru
NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.NSILMike turned on, tuned in, and dropped out.

Device: Lenovo Android Tablet
I've actually done it many times, and am doing it now to make sure it still works. Calibre recognizes my device is connected within a very few seconds. It then automatically syncs, and to the correct folder. If I eject the device (the calibre function, not windows although that may work equally well) and check the correct device directories, the content is there. The issue though, is CC doesn't recognize that they are there, which I can easily correct by doing a sync (yes, wifi...) So a solution for the original poster is to see if the reader they installed (I use FB Reader, based on suggestions from this forum a long time ago) can open the books from the directory on the device. I navigate to that and can view the contents using an app called ES File Explorer, and can open them to read in FB Reader.
Note that my laptop environment is Windows 7, and my device environment is Android 5.1.1 (although I know this has worked on all earlier versions that I've used.)

Last edited by NSILMike; 06-30-2015 at 04:41 PM.
NSILMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre companion, galaxy tab s, samsung, setup, usb