Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-18-2011, 11:45 PM   #1
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
Puncutuation Substitution Problem

Some, not all, of the epub books I add to Calibre, with DRM stripped via plugin, have from one to three characters where the punctuation and accented characters should be. i.e. “ in place of “, ç in place of ç, and é in place of é. The text reads fine in Adobe, while still infected with DRM, but is not right after stripping DRM.

Any ideas on why this happens? Or, better still, how to prevent it from happening?

I can do a search and replace in Sigil to correct the problem. It's not too bad when only the quotes, apostrophies, ellipses, and dashes, are affected, but it's a major pain when a book has a lot of non-english words with accent marks.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 11:54 PM   #2
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Doesn't sound like it's a Calibre problem...
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 12:11 AM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSJim View Post
Some, not all, of the epub books I add to Calibre, with DRM stripped via plugin, have from one to three characters where the punctuation and accented characters should be. i.e. “ in place of “, ç in place of ç, and é in place of é. The text reads fine in Adobe, while still infected with DRM, but is not right after stripping DRM.

Any ideas on why this happens? Or, better still, how to prevent it from happening?

I can do a search and replace in Sigil to correct the problem. It's not too bad when only the quotes, apostrophies, ellipses, and dashes, are affected, but it's a major pain when a book has a lot of non-english words with accent marks.
Sounds like a wrong codepage is declared. If the book is being converted, ther is a conversion setting to force a code page. Experiment
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:03 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, this is unquestionably a code page issue.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 01:08 PM   #5
MSJim
Bookworm

Thanks for the inputs.

ilovejedd:
I realize this is most probably not a Calibre problem. I just didn't know where to post my question.

theducks:
Specifying utf-8 in Calibre's Input character encoding box fixed the problem during epub > epub conversion. That's a lot easier than search & replace.

While comparing two books, one with the character problem and one without, I couldn't find any differences. Both had utf-8 specified in the opf file, and neither specified a code page in the text.

I'm still curious, but not prepared to pursue it further since I have a workable solution.

Thanks again.
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 01:20 PM   #6
drjenkins
Addict
drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjenkins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
In your calibre conversion "Look and Feel" tab select "Transliterate unicode characters to ASCII", then convert from EPUB to EPUB.
drjenkins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:29 PM   #7
MSJim
Bookworm

drjenkins:
Thanks for the suggestion, but I had tried that. It didn't work. Specifying utf-8 in the Input character encoding box does the trick though.
It would be nice if I could force the utf-8 code when adding the ebook rather than during conversion although it's not really any bother since I convert all my books anyway.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:01 AM   #8
MSJim
Bookworm

oops!
I was too hasty and unrealistically optimistic. I just found a book the "Input character encoding" trick doesn't work on. So, I'm back to search and replace - unless someone has a better suggestion.