Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 02:36 AM   #1
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3/3G(2x), Glo HD, Amazon Voyage
How to tell if (rebranded) device is COOL-ER?

I recently purchased a rebranded ereader EB600 device "TurboX" in Greece. I thought it was the Bookeen Cybook. But, when trying to find a cover to order I notied that the select knob on the lower right corner is circular like the COOL-ER. And the price was way-lower than the Cybook also. All the specs match the COOL-ER.

The firmware is listed as: v 1.12.9-1 which seems to match a COOL-ER build # from Dec 2009.

I'm very happy with the device, I even like the feel of the buttons. I have 2 concerns though:
1. The battery doesn't seem to last as long as it should. But perhaps this is because I am still in the "loading books" stage? It lasts 3-4 days of heavy reading (>4 hours per day) so I am not really complaining...

2. I can't find a "Delete Book" menu item. Do COOL-ER users know if this feature is available?

Also, I was wondering if it the COOL-ER in fact because 1) I'd like to buy the Tuff-Luv flip-top cover. My unit lists dimensions as 188x 118x 9mm as opposed to the COOL-ER at 183x 118 x 10.89 and 2) I'd like to reflash the firmware to the latest COOL-ER version since it will restart at the latest page read . For now, I just keep the unit on, which works OK.

I'm pleased with the page-turn rate, but any speed improvement is welcome.

So, is there any way to confirm the model? I have a 2-year in-store warranty from the local reseller and they will do the firmware upgrade for me (and assume any risk to the device!).

Any help would be much appreciated!
rgeorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 06:25 AM   #2
rgeorg
Guru
rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rgeorg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I just read the COOL*ER User's Guide and it is EXACTLY the same interface - boy, do I feel dumb! I just never thought of the COOL*ER EB600. They only have the black model here, which is fine (I will get a purple cover ;-).

Fortunately, the Tuf-Luv cover should fit well and I can identify the new firmware to upgrade.

Last edited by rgeorg; 05-18-2010 at 06:30 AM.
Advert
Old 05-18-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
The Cool-ER devices are just re-branded Netronix EB600's, so it's likely that this one is as well considering the form-factor.

The Cool-ER firmware will probably work on it - the best way to be sure is to find a copy of the existing TurboX firmware and compare it to the Cool-ER firmware, but the only real way of finding out is to actually try to upgrade it. Make sure you can get a copy of the original TurboX firmware just in case it doesn't work. This should allow you to go back to the stock firmware if things go wrong - on the whole these devices are quite easy to re-flash if something does mess up.

I'm not sure if the local reseller would do the upgrade for you, since these are supposed to be two separate devices, but there is a good chance that the differences are only cosmetic.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #4
rgeorg
Guru

Just one question - is there a delete file option on the Cool-ER firmare (Dec 2009)? It says that there is on the EB600 wiki page, but I can't find it referenced anywhere.

I'm pretty pleased with the device as is, so I might just not bother to try the newer firmware (esp if it "breaks" rtf files!).
Old 05-19-2010, 02:46 PM   #5
codeMonkey
Zealot
codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.codeMonkey is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Cool-ER (running pocketbook firmware), Nokia N800, Nokia N900
No, there's no delete from within the cool-ER menu, you'd have to plug the device in.
I don't tend to read rtf format files, so I can't comment on that.
codeMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 05:11 PM   #6
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
There is now a wiki entry for the Turbo-X eBOOK reader
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
rgeorg
Guru

Thank you - the TurboX wiki page is helpful, but it still lists the delete function which is not available from the menu as codeMonkey explains. Also, there is 1 GB of storage available, not 64MB.

DaleDe, did you create the wiki page for TurboX? I'll have to show the Plaisio folks the page. I don't know how well the TurboX brand ereader will sell in Greece as the menu is not in Greek, and there are not many Greek ebooks. But the price is competitive, for a change. Probably because there is a new model about to come out (that would be typical!).

Anyone know if rtf files still display with the latest firmware release?

I probably won't change anything yet as I am enjoying the device and it works quite well as is ("if it ain't broke don't fix it!").

Last edited by rgeorg; 05-19-2010 at 06:01 PM.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:58 PM   #8
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgeorg View Post
Thank you - the TurboX wiki page is helpful, but it still lists the delete function which is not available from the menu as codeMonkey explains. Also, there is 1 GB of storage available, not 64MB.

DaleDe, did you create the wiki page for TurboX? I'll have to show the Plaisio folks the page. I don't know how well the TurboX brand ereader will sell in Greece as the menu is not in Greek, and there are not many Greek ebooks. But the price is competitive, for a change. Probably because there is a new model about to come out (that would be typical!).

Anyone know if rtf files still display with the latest firmware release?

I probably won't change anything yet as I am enjoying the device and it works quite well as is ("if it ain't broke don't fix it!").
I did create the page. As with other Netronix clone pages the top part is unique to the brand and the rest is the standard EB600 page as included for reference. I try and find the unique features for the top section.

The delete function is on one of the 4 keys on the side originally. Perhaps it has been replaced with the game key. Let me know and I will update the page, or anyone can fix it. I don't think it ever got implemented in the original gen 3 version.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 08:28 AM   #9
rgeorg
Guru

The delete key is definately not on the TurboX (or the Cool-er for that matter) or available from the firmware, which is a pity. The other notable difference is the 1 GB of memory for user books (+ 512 RAM).

The Overview seems accurate except for the Delete Key reference and the WiFi reference (none is available).
The Specifications are accurate, except for the Storage Memory as explained above (1 GB), no Touch Screen option and no WiFi availability.

I wish that I could say with 100% certainty that the Cool-er (Interead) firmware can be used to update the device, but I haven't tested it. The "About" device info does list the current build as the exact same numbering system as the Dec 2009 Cool-er release number - so I'm guessing it is compatible. Maybe I'll stop by Plaisio and ask, but I bet they have no clue!

Hope this info helps, I got a kick out of seeing the wiki page!
Old 05-31-2010, 11:50 AM   #10
Godzil
a pthread?? where? where?
Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Godzil can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Newton MessagePad 2100, and only this
Cooler only sell rebranded Netronix Hardware AND software, so, elonex, TurboX or any other that sell netronix devices sells netronix software, so they are compatible. Theire is only TWO company who sell netronix hardware without netronix software :
- Bookeen
- Pocket Book

All other are the same device with different brands or slightly different cases
Godzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2010, 03:54 AM   #11
rgeorg
Guru

Thanks Godzil,
I bought the Tuf-Luv case and it seems that my device case is a few milimeters longer, but the cover still works quite well (the buttons are accessible) and will protect the screen. I just have to remove it to recharge - not a big deal.

I will wait another month to make sure the device doesn't fail as I have read on this forum that there is a considerable risk of failure in the first couple of months. Then, I'll contact the dealer and try to upgrade the software - wouldn't want to violate the 2-yr warranty!

More speed is always a good thing, although I'm enjoying the device as is.The ePub and Adobe DE (DRM) file display is REALLY good and easy-to-use. I didn't think that I would ever purchase DRMed ebooks - but as soon as I saw a book (or two or ...) that I really wanted.....