Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Interead COOL-ER

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 04:03 PM   #1
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Ink fading out when cold, harmful?

I thought of replying to this thread, but the forum tells me it's rather old. Also, it's about the Sony model. (AFAIK, they use the same screen tech, but why not use a forum that's about the same hardware I'm using :-)

Anyway.
When it's cold, the screen/ink starts to fade after a while, with every new refresh there is less black. I haven't (yet?) found out if it disappears altogether.

Once in the warm, it seems to "thaw" for a while (color getting stronger), then work as usual.

The temperature should be well within the storage temperatures - but how about actually using it when it's close to or even below zero (Celsius)?
Could that somehow damage the display?
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 11:14 PM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
Umm

I have not had the ink fade out during cold weather. Of course I have not used my Cool-er outside in cold weather. I tend to read inside.

Sorry that I don't have any more info for you.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 04:22 AM   #3
panda53
Connoisseur
panda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura aboutpanda53 has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Touch and shared Kindle
I have had an ink display problem, but only once... and it was quite cold outside and inside, but I don't know if that caused the problem.

One morning, when I turned on the Cool-er, the pages start up page appeared blurred but readable. The next screen was more blurred, and by the time I navigated to the ebook I was reading, the page was just covered in undecipherable squiggles.

I reset the cool-er, which didn't work. I then assumed it was a major problem and just turned it off and put it away. A couple of hours later I turned it back on, and the problem had gone away...

regards,
panda53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:28 AM   #4
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
It's known that e-ink screens, generally, are sensitive to extreme temperatures. Cold weather causes kind of bleaching up! If your reader gets out of the cold, things should be back to normal pretty soon again! So don't worry! This is REALLY harmless!
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 04:30 AM   #5
Loccy
Loccy began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyberman tM View Post
I thought of replying to this thread, but the forum tells me it's rather old. Also, it's about the Sony model. (AFAIK, they use the same screen tech, but why not use a forum that's about the same hardware I'm using :-)

Anyway.
When it's cold, the screen/ink starts to fade after a while, with every new refresh there is less black. I haven't (yet?) found out if it disappears altogether.

Once in the warm, it seems to "thaw" for a while (color getting stronger), then work as usual.

The temperature should be well within the storage temperatures - but how about actually using it when it's close to or even below zero (Celsius)?
Could that somehow damage the display?
I have the same thing, having been using my reader in the sub-Arctic temperatures we've been having in the UK lately. It doesn't seem to do any harm.

For other in this thread - it happens when the ambient temperature around the COOL-ER is really, really cold, i.e. less than zero degrees Celsius. If it's cold outside and you're snug and warm inside you won't see these symptoms.
Loccy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-08-2010, 06:06 AM   #6
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
who?

Seriously who reads their ebooks outside in subzero temperatures??

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 06:35 AM   #7
poshm
Fanatic
poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poshm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, Sony Reader Touch, Ipod touch & Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Amy
I've used my ebook readers in the car with a recorded car temp of -1 and they worked fine - luckily the car soon started to heat up.

When traveling, we're not always lucky to be in the warm. Waiting around at bus / coach / train stations can be cold (especially where there is no indoor waiting room) and in these situations I'd prefer to read than sit doing nothing. So it happens, personally I'd prefer to read in the warm but not always so!
poshm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 05:02 AM   #8
Cyberman tM
Evangelist
Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cyberman tM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Inkbook Prime; Icarus Illumina;ImcoV6l;EB600;Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post

Amy
Well, it's all the fault of the local train company - they refuse to heat unenclosed waiting areas, just because it'd be a bit inefficient to do so...

But seriously, it's winter right now, even some snow, and I usually have to wait a few minutes in the open air till my train arrives. I don't mind the cold air, but I like to read - because after a while the walls are boring to look at.
Cyberman tM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2010, 08:36 AM   #9
labzuk
Enthusiast
labzuk began at the beginning.

Device: PRS505 - Iliad
I took it two days ago, had to let the dog out and i was in the middle of a chapter. Noticed the same thing, characters were fading there was some extra grey lines in the middle of the screen.
labzuk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 11:41 AM   #10
andygates
andygates began at the beginning.

Device: Cool-er
Same here. I read a lot while walking from site to site at work, and the subzero temperatures meant my cool-er's screen was a bit fadey and fraggy-looking. Warmed up fine.
andygates is offline   Reply With Quote