Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-17-2018, 02:58 PM   #1
BrickyBrian
Connoisseur
BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BrickyBrian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
An EBook converter?

When I'm studying a subject and find a book that I wish to use I find that it helps me to absorb what I’m studying by copying pieces from the book onto my computer, then work with those words by writing a critique on what that particular writer said and then deleting the copied EBook.

The problem is that if I wish to type the words I am reading from a book onto my computer face by the time I have moved my eyes from the book to the computer I forget what I wanted to type within seconds. Of course I could go through the cumbersome practice of attaching a rule to the book moving it down the page sentence by sentence. It has been suggested to me that this problem may result from my dyslexia.

As a result of that problem I started to scan pages of books I'm working with then deleting them when I have finished working with them but it’s a laborious task. I then found that there are companies that will strip a book down and then digitalise it but that requires that the book is destroyed.

I know that some E Books that can be copied using cut and paste but I also know that there are many that can’t so in desperation I am now looking for an EBook converter and as the Internet can be a dangerous place to buy applications or programs call them what you will I wonder if anyone would care to suggest an EBook converter that can be trusted? I have asked a number of publishers for permission to temporarily copy one of their books but most don’t even reply.
BrickyBrian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 03:03 PM   #2
Adoby
Handy Elephant
Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Adoby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Thinkpad E595, Ubuntu Mate, Huawei Mediapad 5, Bouye Likebook Plus
Take a look at calibre. It can convert to/from many formats.

Note that PDF is very bad as a source format.

Also note that the books have to be without copy protection / DMR.

https://calibre-ebook.com/download

This forum is the main support channel for calibre.
Adoby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2018, 03:12 PM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickyBrian View Post
I know that some E Books that can be copied using cut and paste but I also know that there are many that can’t so in desperation I am now looking for an EBook converter and as the Internet can be a dangerous place to buy applications or programs call them what you will I wonder if anyone would care to suggest an EBook converter that can be trusted? I have asked a number of publishers for permission to temporarily copy one of their books but most don’t even reply.
If the legally obtained book is in eBook format (ePub or mobi) you can do just about anything you want with it, via Calibre and Apprentice Alf, including cut and paste. PDF depends on what kind of PDF. If it's just images of the pages bound together, then you'll still have to OCR scan it (like you would a physical book). If it's a "real" PDF you can either cut and paste directly from the book, or convert it into another format for copying and pasting.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2018, 07:27 PM   #4
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
If you are able to scan your page straight, then get ABBYY Transformer. It's about $40 and does a lovely job of converting scanned text into epub format. Then use Calibre to fix the typos and you are ready to go.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 12:24 AM   #5
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
The first thing which occurred to me on reading you post was: learn to touch type. But this can take a long time. Touch typing would enable you to keep your eyes on the book while your fingers do the typing; you don't need to look at the keys or screen.

But it can take months, even years to become good at this, depending upon your motor skills.

Another suggestion: read the passages into a tape recorder, then type them later. Or use text to speech software.

Converting the books might be easier.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrickyBrian View Post
...The problem is that if I wish to type the words I am reading from a book onto my computer face by the time I have moved my eyes from the book to the computer I forget what I wanted to type within seconds.
Since it sounds like you don't necessarily need to convert the books you are reading in to full fledged ebooks, why not just take pictures of the pages you are studying? You could then open those pictures on your monitor in one window to read and type in another.

A cheap and easy solution you could do right now at no cost (assuming you have a cell phone with a camera).
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote