Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-23-2018, 05:58 AM   #1
ElenaLauder
ElenaLauder began at the beginning.

Device: none
Why Kobo always import the content? After restart or shut on?

Hello everybody,
I have a Kobo Aura, firmware 4.8,11073.
Now every time I turn it on the content is reimported and I have to wait.
I noticed that this only happens when I load a certain number of books on the external SD card.
Synchronize I do with Calibre.
Why is that so, I have no solution.
Do you have any idea what that might be?
Thank you very much for all your help, I couldn't find anything on the internet.
Maybe you professionals have an idea.
Thank you.
Kind regards,
Elena
ElenaLauder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 06:46 AM   #2
LucyOne
Librocubicularist
LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LucyOne ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook InkPad 3 & Touch HD 3, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle Paperwhite 5
The new books need to be indexed in the database. That's what happens every time you add books. Otherwise they wouldn't show up on the device.
LucyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 09:42 AM   #3
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElenaLauder View Post
Hello everybody,
I have a Kobo Aura, firmware 4.8,11073.
Now every time I turn it on the content is reimported and I have to wait.
I noticed that this only happens when I load a certain number of books on the external SD card.
Do you mean it re-imports books when you turn the device on even if you have not added any new books onto the SD card?
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:31 AM   #4
Quoth
the rook, bossing Never.
Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quoth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: All 4 Kinds: epub eink, Kindle, android eink, NxtPaper11
It also has to check nothing has changed till last time. It shouldn't take long. Even when I add maybe 15 books via Calibre it's fairly quick. I use internal storage for about 1100 eBooks and the SD card for scans of ancient textbooks, old data books, service data and modern operator manuals. All PDFs.
Quoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 11:33 AM   #5
ElenaLauder

Thank you all very much for the answers. Thank you.
For example, I synchronize 10 books with Calibre.
Now I start Kobo and it is imported once.
That's the right thing to do.
Now every time I turn on and off, no books are re-imported.
That's right.
But if I just import 100 books and turn them on and off.
Import it every time I turn on, even when I'm not syncing books.
I formatted the SD card, reset Kobo. Updated the firmware, but it happens anyway.
Every time I start it up, it is re-imported and it takes a long time until I can operate the Kobo. What could that be?
What do you mean?
Kind Regards,
Elena
Advert
Old 08-23-2018, 02:24 PM   #6
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Why Kobo always import the content? After restart or shut on?

That sounds frustrating. How many books are on the SD card? Do they all import and are they all present in the database once the device has turned on?

Two things I can think of:
- there may be a bad book on the SD card for which import fails, and the device tries to import it every time
- your SD card is disconnecting and reconnecting, which means the device needs to look at it again to see if you added any new books

Of course the latter could be normal behaviour with switching the device off and on again. So, if the wait is too annoying for you, there are two options:
- Don't use the external SD card. You could put all the books on the main memory; or
- Don't switch your device off, but let it sleep instead
Old 08-23-2018, 04:25 PM   #7
ElenaLauder

Thank you Mrs_Often for your post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Do they all import and are they all present in the database once the device has turned on?
Yes, they are all in the Kobo and all I can read and all I can see.

Quote:
- there may be a bad book on the SD card for which import fails, and the device tries to import it every time
Yeah, I think so, too. But how do I find the book?

Quote:
- your SD card is disconnecting and reconnecting, which means the device needs to look at it again to see if you added any new books
Aha I understand.

Quote:
Of course the latter could be normal behaviour with switching the device off and on again. So, if the wait is too annoying for you, there are two options:
- Don't use the external SD card. You could put all the books on the main memory; or
- Don't switch your device off, but let it sleep instead
These are a few ideas I can try out. Thank you.
I'm going to test this more closely.
So I can narrow down the error.
Old 08-23-2018, 05:57 PM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Quote:
Yeah, I think so, too. But how do I find the book?
Delete all the books from the SDcard. At that point I'd just reformat it though, then you're sure you're starting clean.

Add maybe 25 books only and see if there's still a problem. If all goes well, add another smaller batch of books and keep going that way, checking between each transfer of books. If the odd behavior starts up again, at least you'll have a smaller batch of books to then delete and add one by one until you find the badly formatted one causing the problem.

Of course make sure you have copies of those books elsewhere before deleting them, which I'm sure you do since you mentioned using Calibre.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Thank you all very much for the answers. Thank you.
For example, I synchronize 10 books with Calibre.
Now I start Kobo and it is imported once.
That's the right thing to do.
Now every time I turn on and off, no books are re-imported.
That's right.
Up to this point, everything sounds right.
Quote:
But if I just import 100 books and turn them on and off.
I don't understand this. It sounds like you sent 100 books to the device and turned if off before the books were imported. In fact, this almost sounds like you turned the device off before you ejected if.

If you are doing either of these things, then I would expect there to be problems. If you are letting the books import, and then having problems later, then it needs more investigation.
Quote:
Import it every time I turn on, even when I'm not syncing books.
I formatted the SD card, reset Kobo. Updated the firmware, but it happens anyway.
Every time I start it up, it is re-imported and it takes a long time until I can operate the Kobo. What could that be?
From what you say, the most likely reasons are a corrupt database, or, as @Mrs_Often suggested, a bad book that is preventing the original import from working properly. For the former, you can run a database check using my Kobo Utilities plugin in calibre to see the state of the database. For the latter, follow @Ripplinger instructions.

One thing I have just thought of is the SD card. There was a bug in the firmware that if the SD card didn't have a label, all books on it would be reloaded each time the card was detected. I can't remember exactly which firmware this was in, but, I am sure it was fixed before version 4.8,11073. But, it is worthwhile checking if the card has a label just in case it has reoccured or there was a case where it still happened.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 09:27 PM   #10
crane3
Guru
crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crane3 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Fire hdx 8.9, Tab S2, Tab S5e, Aura ONE
I have the KA1 LE & it also "imports". After a factory reset, I downloaded my books from Calibre; after ejecting the Kobo, a short while later, the "importing" starts. I guess the books are imported to the database but does this mean that I now have 2 copies of the book? One copy on the database & another copy somewhere(?).

The same importing applies when I just logged out & then login & after the wifi setup, the Kobo is "importing" stuff/books.
crane3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2018, 10:31 PM   #11
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by crane3 View Post
I have the KA1 LE & it also "imports". After a factory reset, I downloaded my books from Calibre; after ejecting the Kobo, a short while later, the "importing" starts. I guess the books are imported to the database but does this mean that I now have 2 copies of the book? One copy on the database & another copy somewhere(?).

The same importing applies when I just logged out & then login & after the wifi setup, the Kobo is "importing" stuff/books.
The details of the book are added database. The database is used by the UI to list the books for you to choose from. Then it opens the file to read it. Only one copy of the book.

The import happens each time the device sees a new book. If you log out of the Kobo account, the database is cleared. That means that when you login, all the books are considered to be new.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #12
ElenaLauder

Hi to all,
I have now tested extensively, copied books over and over again and tried to find out whether a book is really corrupt.
Yes, I found it. The problem is really a book.
After copying a group of books from a theme over, the books are reimported after each reboot.
Thank you very much for the inspiration.
Kind Regards,
Elena
Old 08-29-2018, 03:11 PM   #13
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Very happy to hear you found the cause and the bad book! Happy reading
Old 09-02-2018, 01:47 PM   #14
ElenaLauder

Quote:
Very happy to hear you found the cause and the bad book! Happy reading
Ha, ha, Thank you very much, have a good time.
Old 09-02-2018, 06:05 PM   #15
wattle
wattle began at the beginning.

Device: kobo h2o
I have the same problem with my H2O. I found that after the squares finish sequencing the reader goes to home page. Open a book immediately, for some reason when the reader goes into reimport it speeds the process to seconds.
wattle is offline   Reply With Quote