Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-11-2010, 04:31 AM   #1
RadiantBurrito
Edge User

Post Android 2.2 iPad Alternatives

Just released in SZ (China). New iPad clones run Android 2.2 / Windows 7 with "decent" hardware equal to iPad, supporting Flash 10.1

8" Android 2.2 aPad - 1GHz Cortex A8 Processor - 512MB DDR2

10.1" Windows 7 ePad - 1.66GHz Atom N455 - 2GB DDR3 - 32GB SSD

Any reviews, discussion on those? I have laid my money down and waiting for the courier to show up. Been burnt before and not holding my breath, but as an ebook reader and wifi surfer?

Old 12-11-2010, 04:45 AM   #2
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RadiantBurrito View Post
Just released in SZ (China). New iPad clones run Android 2.2 / Windows 7 with "decent" hardware equal to iPad, supporting Flash 10.1

8" Android 2.2 aPad - 1GHz Cortex A8 Processor - 512MB DDR2

10.1" Windows 7 ePad - 1.66GHz Atom N455 - 2GB DDR3 - 32GB SSD

Any reviews, discussion on those? I have laid my money down and waiting for the courier to show up. Been burnt before and not holding my breath, but as an ebook reader and wifi surfer?
The big thing with those products, RadiantBurrito, is exposure. Will these be highlighted at the Consumer Electronics Show on January 6, 2011? That will pretty much make or break ANY newcomer to the "tablet wars" arena. Although they look nice and may have the processing power, without big names like Apple, Blackberry, Dell, or Samsung acknowledging their existence, they'll just be ignored regardless of their competitive pricing. If they are strongly supported by their manufacturers and get enough heads to turn at tech conventions early on in the coming year, they MAY make even the Ipad 2 start to worry...

But after reading that those two devices, like the Exo PC Windows 7 tablet (that comes from Canadian company Exo) have only a 4-5 hour battery life I was immediately turned off and won't even think twice about considering purchasing any of them. As a student, I spend about 6-8 hours in school and can't afford to constantly recharge my device while taking notes or recording lectures because the battery is half-drained after I turn it on for each class.

Last edited by ShiningT1g3R; 12-11-2010 at 04:47 AM.

Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

Warranty? Quality? Technical Support?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:45 AM   #4
jsfiller
Edge User

Maybe I missed it, but who's the manufacturer?

Old 12-11-2010, 08:55 AM   #5
borisb
Edge User

And, who's going to prepare and release bug fixes and new Android releases?

Advert
Old 12-11-2010, 09:02 AM   #6
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
That stuff too!

Old 12-11-2010, 10:38 AM   #7
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by borisb View Post
Not important. As long as these 'tablets' run 2.2.
Also not important: No e-ink

Old 12-11-2010, 12:05 PM   #8
Chubulor
Edge User

CES is, by its own admission, a trade show. It's more about attracting investors than generating buzz among consumers. Few if any of the devices there are actually in production, which is why it's bizarre that Notion Ink is supposed to unveil the Adam there. (especially since, as Android Police pointed out, they're not on the list of exhibitors at CES 2011)

Generating a buzz among consumers is better accomplished by sending devices to trusted reviewers.

Old 12-11-2010, 12:57 PM   #9
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Let's not forget the Innoversal Communications Inc. "Lattice" that they are showing off: http://www.innoversal.com.tw/en-us/p...s/lattice.aspx

A Taiwanese company with more marketing than Notion Ink but the same type of device. Looks promising but seriously needs reviews and pricing policy.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #10
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
Not important. As long as these 'tablets' run 2.2.
Also not important: No e-ink
Well, they're important to me.

Old 12-11-2010, 02:46 PM   #11
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShiningT1g3R View Post
Let's not forget the Innoversal Communications Inc. "Lattice" that they are showing off: http://www.innoversal.com.tw/en-us/p...s/lattice.aspx

A Taiwanese company with more marketing than Notion Ink but the same type of device. Looks promising but seriously needs reviews and pricing policy.
LOL Needs to be released as well.

Old 12-11-2010, 04:50 PM   #12
Chubulor
Edge User

Innoversal has gone dark since August 31. On that date, the CEO claimed on his blog that Lattice was almost ready to go, but has never been heard from again.

Personally I might invest in an Archos 70, or wait to see what next year brings. There's also the Asus Eee Pad on the horizon, supposedly to be released in first quarter 2011. Maybe I'll even give the iPad 2 a chance to earn my business.

Old 12-11-2010, 05:12 PM   #13
pat.indie
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsfiller View Post
Well, they're important to me.
I was being sarcastic. I hope you were not (or its egg on my face )

Old 12-11-2010, 05:25 PM   #14
ShiningT1g3R
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chubulor View Post
Innoversal has gone dark since August 31. On that date, the CEO claimed on his blog that Lattice was almost ready to go, but has never been heard from again.

Personally I might invest in an Archos 70, or wait to see what next year brings. There's also the Asus Eee Pad on the horizon, supposedly to be released in first quarter 2011. Maybe I'll even give the iPad 2 a chance to earn my business.
I checked out the Archos 70 and 101 Android Tablet http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=us&lang=en and.........I must say I'm pretty impressed! If a larger company with a proven track recored like Archos can put out a great Android (2.2) Tablet for LESS than $500 and do the same thing as the Adam or Ipad knock-offs, then I'll gladly fold to them!

I just might get the Archos 101 for Christmas!

Last edited by ShiningT1g3R; 12-11-2010 at 05:27 PM.

Old 12-12-2010, 01:42 AM   #15
jsfiller
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pat.indie View Post
I was being sarcastic. I hope you were not (or its egg on my face )
At this point, I don't remember. But I think I was just being a bit snarky. I definitely didn't recognize your sarcasm though. Sorry. Definitely no egg on your face this time. Egg on mine though.