Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Server

Notices

Old 10-29-2018, 12:09 AM   #1
semarngaji
semarngaji began at the beginning.

Device: Linux
Thumbs up Disable User Password Changing

Hi,

I have activated Calibre server. All things work well so far. Thanks to Kovid Goyal as a developer.

Now, I have an idea to make my server public. So, I have to make some user accounts to prevent unauthorized people from accessing my library.

I made two user accounts, admin (fully granted) and user (read only).

So, the question is, can I disable user from changing account password? That's because I have many users and I plan to make one only user account for my all users. Thanks
semarngaji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2018, 12:32 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
no, IIRC users can always change their passwords. If you have users who would act maliciously, simply give them separate accounts, or ban them, the server logs will tell you which user changed the password.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2018, 03:49 AM   #3
semarngaji

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
no, IIRC users can always change their passwords. If you have users who would act maliciously, simply give them separate accounts, or ban them, the server logs will tell you which user changed the password.
Wow, Kovid Goyal, thanks for replying my question. Actually, the server is on a school. If so, can I import user accounts bulkly? Or, is there any way for me to make random user accounts for students instantly? Thanks!
Old 10-30-2018, 04:26 AM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The user database the server uses is a simple sqlite database, and there is a command line interface to it you can use.

calibre-server --manage-users

you can use it with a tool such as expect to automate adding new users. You will have to restart the server for the new user accounts to show up, though.
Old 10-30-2018, 04:45 AM   #5
semarngaji

Thumbs up

Quote:
The user database the server uses is a simple sqlite database, and there is a command line interface to it you can use.

you can use it with a tool such as expect to automate adding new users. You will have to restart the server for the new user accounts to show up, though.
Ok Sir, I willl try it then. I love your works very much.

Old 10-30-2018, 10:20 PM   #6
semarngaji

Thumbs up

Quote:

Wow, it works. Thank you, Sir!
So, is there any limitation of user amount in Calibre?
Old 10-30-2018, 10:29 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

no, there is not.
Old 10-30-2018, 10:48 PM   #8
semarngaji

Thumbs up

Quote:
no, there is not.
Great!

Now, I have question to you as developer.
Sorry, out of topic.

1. Don't you have any idea to develope Calibre in Android?
2. I'm from Indonesia. I have Calibre installed on Linux and Windows in several devices for several years. That's because I love it. But I can't find my primary language in your app. So, would you mind to add Indonesian please?

Proud to use Calibre!
Old 10-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #9
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

1. no

2. calibre translations are contributed by calibre users, feel free to help with translating to your language: https://calibre-ebook.com/get-involved